New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Blen-Brent  
Posted : Thursday, 2 January 2014 11:10:32 AM(UTC)
Blen-Brent

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi All ,
I'm thinking of selling my Gold Bug 2 , with 6" and 10" coils.
It's about 3 years old and still in really good working order, but i'm not sure what it is worth??
I want to get a Garrett At Pro or Gold so i can coin and gold hunt and maybe do some underwater gold detecting.
Anyone want to trade ??
Is this a good idea or should i just stick with my Gold Bug 2??
Thanks All,
Brent
NuggetHead  
Posted : Monday, 6 January 2014 12:32:26 PM(UTC)
NuggetHead

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hey there,

I have the AT gold and have found it great for treasure hunting, its super accurate, but you need to set it up correctly and know it's features, which it is well packed with. It's a bit daunting in the beginning as it is a real technical piece but well worth it I reckon. I did a wee comparison with Xtra-Steve's gold bug... not sure of the model, but it fessed up quite well on wee nuggets (about the size of your small finger nail), so all in all it seems good... I admit I have only found coins and stuff as I have not had the opportunity to go out looking for nuggies... YET... anyway hope this helps... good luck. If need be and you get the AT I can give you hints on what I have learnt setting up and using the AT....
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 12 January 2014 11:59:54 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I have an ATPro and an AtGold - Funny enough my ATG is on loan to a friend who is considering going from the GoldBug to the ATG. The biggest bonus of the ATG/ATP over most machines is being waterproof, performance wise I would say the GB2 is more sensitive for finding gold. As previously mentioned the ATG is a very good coin machine but is a waste of time at the beach I assume much like a GB2. If the ATG even sniffs wet sand it's game over.

If you're after gold keep in mind you could well miss the small stuff with an ATP as it doesn't have an all metal mode.
I primarily use the ATP with the 11" coil these days for hunting larger areas of parks. When it comes to park hunting the difference is mostly in the coil size.

If push came to shove as I don't hunt any beaches I'd hold on to the ATG over the ATP but I'd be sorry to see the ATP go.

For finding gold in my opinion, really you already have the better machine.

simon  
Posted : Sunday, 12 January 2014 12:16:14 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
nothing beats the GB2 for finding gold. it's sensitivity is designed for finding small gold, which is what most of nz gold is. the only way to beat it is pairing it up with a minelab of some sort. minelabs are designed for depth. the thing is, if you're detecting bedrock there is not too much need for depth. generally if i find gold on bedrock and the gravels are over 4inches deep i just scrap it off level and keep whacking back 4 inches at a time til i get to the bottom.

as stated the GB2 is way too sensitive to take to a beach with salty wet sand.

the key thing to remember for all unfamiliar with the gold bugs it the new digital type gold bugs are a completely different machine than the GB2. the Gb2 runs at 72 and the new gold bugs are at 17 or something like that, so completely different frequencies. it is the high 72 that sets the gold bug apart.

if you are after big gold go for a minelab. thing is you're going to prob miss a lot of the small stuff. that said it depends on how well it is set up by the user. i see so many people waving their machine around catching air. you need to scrape it low and slow over the ground.

as per all the various tests you see about there are always flaws and things to catch you out. i hear many people saying they have worked an area out just to see someone else go and get a whole bunch more gold from. you need to remember the ground is not uniform. what appears as a level surface of gravel usually contains various cracks and crevices in the bedrock underneath. it all depends on which way the detector hits these hidden little v's and notches. you will find that approaching them from different angles will produce signals that you often can't hear or only appear faintly. in the same manner the uneven nature of the bedrock can produce variations in the signal that are simply the rock itself. one way to put it is the detector coil is jumping off a cliff. one moment it's signal is on the lip of the drop off, next it drops away to hit the depths of the hole.
i doubt anyone can say 100% they have cleaned an area out. look at how each new minelab machine released has in effect reopened old'worked out' areas in australia, producing stunning new finds.

for the price of the GB2 i would hang onto it. get another machine perhaps and run alongside the GB2. or if you want it for differnet ground do the same. i'm sure if you do sell the GB2 it will be an easy sell. a very robust machine with little to go wrong and take sthe knocks. nice and light to carry compared to some of the fancier more expensive machines out there.
Sideshow  
Posted : Sunday, 12 January 2014 3:53:07 PM(UTC)
Sideshow

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just sold my gold bug pro and just purchased a AT GOLD simply because its waterproof now i can search everywhere If your thinking of getting one www.colonialmetaldetectors.com gave me an awesome deal I highly recommend contacting Rich hes great to deal with I got a AT GOLD detector Garrett Pro Pointer and 4.5inch sniper coil for $790us still gota pay for you shop and GST but im sure im still gonna save myself a few hundred dollars Now the long wait for it to all arrive.......
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Sunday, 12 January 2014 4:58:16 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Not a bad deal on AT pro :

790 usd = 950 NZD +15%gst= 143 $ +80 customs fee, total about 1172.5

*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
Blen-Brent  
Posted : Sunday, 12 January 2014 5:33:24 PM(UTC)
Blen-Brent

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thank you every one for your helpful comments ,
At this stage i think i will my GB2 and try pick up 2nd hand AT GOLD if possible ,
Just thought it would be cool to float down rivers sniping gold with an underwater detector.
Thanks again,
Brent.
Sideshow  
Posted : Sunday, 12 January 2014 5:38:45 PM(UTC)
Sideshow

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post
Not a bad deal on AT pro :

790 usd = 950 NZD +15%gst= 143 $ +80 customs fee, total about 1172.5

Its a AT GOLD even better They are a little bit darer than the AT PRO That was $730us with all the same xtras but im all about the freshwater gold detecting so AT GOLD it is Very happy camper right here if i was to buy from NZ site would have been $1349 for the detector $249 for the Pro Pointer and $195 for the 4.5inch Sniper Coil = $1793 UNREAL
Sideshow  
Posted : Sunday, 12 January 2014 5:44:45 PM(UTC)
Sideshow

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Blen-Brent Go to Quoted Post
Thank you every one for your helpful comments ,
At this stage i think i will my GB2 and try pick up 2nd hand AT GOLD if possible ,
Just thought it would be cool to float down rivers sniping gold with an underwater detector.
Thanks again,
Brent.

Haha thats exactly my plan Im combining my two favorite past times Sniping and Detecting think ill call it SNIPEDECTING Good minds must think alike!!
Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 12:03:48 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Keep in mind fellas that if you want to truely go under water you need the waterproof headphones as well.

You can get an adapter to run 3.5mm but (I think) you still have to get the ohm rating close as the ATP/ATG headphones are contolled by resistence. So.... you could get an adaptor a cheap volume control (to trick the resistence) and some cheap waterproof ear buds and siicone the heck out of the 3.5 end of the adaptor and the volume control once you have found the sweet spot.

Pretty sure the Garrett blue Headphones (waterproof units) don't have volume control either. Some other brands do.
simon  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 9:36:21 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

great idea sideshow about combining the detecting and sniping. just wondering how you going to snipe if you detect a good signal down deep?
i know a spot that has produced some awesome gold for a couple of fellas, and another guy has found a huge nugget high up the banks in same said spot, and i've detected a load of smaller bits myself there too. but no one has gotten down deep because its just too deep. you would need air tanks to have time on the bottom. would be a huge bugger to get a good signal and not be able to retrieve it.

how deep exactly are you talking about?

once you go over a certain depth its really in the realm of dredging. unless you are an awesome free diver. i've seen a guy down for over 4 minutes but he wasn't looking for gold.
goldhanded  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 1:27:44 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi guys,sorry to say I'm already trialing snipetecting,(I was going to call it depth charging) lol,been trying to put the theory together since November,rain on the coast hasnt helped as far as getting good days and quiet waters,have been using my Garrett infinium,although from what iv read a Atgold would possibly be a better machine,must say that it's not as simple as it sounds,anything over a metre deep might be easy enough to detect but the recovery is where things get tricky,ecspecially if you are only using a snorkle,also the fact that you can't necessarily pinpoint a target and recover it like you can above ground,lots of big rocks,current,tools etc,anyway good to see I'm not alone in the theory,I'd go with the ATgold if you can afford and yes you will need all the necessary waterproof gear,headphones etc,will post some pics or vids when I return to civilisation,just lost my waterproof camera to the raging creek here with a weeks or 2s worth of good stuff on it,one of the hazards of the job I suppose,did manage to save some footage before that tho,good luck down in the deep guys,cheers
FossickFester  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 1:34:15 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
"Depth Charging" - that's frickin hillarious man!! You can have a "blast" doing it. LOL :)
Sideshow  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 2:10:10 PM(UTC)
Sideshow

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
great idea sideshow about combining the detecting and sniping. just wondering how you going to snipe if you detect a good signal down deep?
i know a spot that has produced some awesome gold for a couple of fellas, and another guy has found a huge nugget high up the banks in same said spot, and i've detected a load of smaller bits myself there too. but no one has gotten down deep because its just too deep. you would need air tanks to have time on the bottom. would be a huge bugger to get a good signal and not be able to retrieve it.

how deep exactly are you talking about?

once you go over a certain depth its really in the realm of dredging. unless you are an awesome free diver. i've seen a guy down for over 4 minutes but he wasn't looking for gold.

True that! Be my luck get good signal and be too deep I'm doing all my training lol on 12mile creek in public fossicking area so it not too deep couple good waterfalls I'd like to check out May have to do few scuba lessons I've heard of people using tanks kept on the river bank with long air lines could be a option

Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 31 January 2014 4:18:13 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Incase anyone is curious. I got my ATG back and as I suspected the person I loaned it to decided to stick with the GoldBug.
It did come back to me with the sensitivity up full which anyone who has one will know generally makes it more jittery than a Fijians teeth in Alaska.
Setup is important absolutely but I have to say going the other way using a ATG and then the GoldBug, if the Goldbug was waterproof it would be my choice as atleast down here it does have a slight edge with stability.
That said it finds small shot with absolute ease and you know what they say, "If your finding shot, you're finding gold".
simon  
Posted : Friday, 31 January 2014 4:30:44 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Sideshow:
I'm not sure air tanks would be a good idea on the likes of 12 mile. most of it is pretty shallow anyway. I've never seen anyone use them up there. what i do know is the guided walks that go up there keep an eye out for dodgy goings on. by that i mean it's a public fossicking area and i believe the powers that be will take exception to air tanks. I understand there is a perception anything goes in a public fossicking area as long as its not mechanical. The mechanical thing is a myth. What is allowed is basic hand tools. when they used to say mechanical the reference was to anything engine based. obviously technology has come a fair way and there are other means now to utilise such as the little air systems, etc. by all means do it, it's just that the only way in is up the track or creek bed from the road, so someone will notice. and every second do-gooder has a bloody camera nowadays. with the high use of the cheap camping across the road its like a circus up there now with walkers. my last two trips up there i just missed out on getting slabs of rock hitting me from some dimwits chucking it off the loop track so if you're up there be careful.
FossickFester  
Posted : Friday, 31 January 2014 7:42:34 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
According to the DOC print out on public fossicking Areas (this one is Nelson/Marlborough, but they are generally the same) that i'm reading in front of me:

"The Licencee shall use non-motorised hand held methods only".

Now, as know that tanks are non-motorised equipment, they are perfectly fine to use. Yes, there are do-gooders out there, but stuff 'em, your not breaking any law using air tanks.

Also Doc needs to clarify their public fossicking rules printout better, especially about sluice box sizing because on the first page it states:

"These boxes must not exceed 1.5 metres in length" (with no mention about width), However on the next page it states:

"Any riffle box is not to exceed 1 metre in length and 20 centimetres in width".

So if DOC can't even get the rules right, how can they possibly enforce them? Better yet, why should we even follow them?

The sluice size difference is whether or not i can use my new A52 sluice on public fossicking areas, so I'm gonna use their mistake to my advantage and just use it, stuff DOC!