New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 2 January 2014 11:02:14 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Many (many) years ago, I worked for the NZ Forest Service which included free lodgings in an ancient villa deep, deep in the forest. I don't know how old it was, but on reflection I would estimate 1930's. The house and outbuildings were removed when the govmint sold us out.
But whilst wandering around, killing wild pigs to pass the time (as you do when you're an hours drive away from the nearest neighbour and no TV reception), I came across an even older site. Nothing more than a dying orchard and the giveaway daffs and lilies. Just a passing interest at the time.

Spin on about 30 years...

Looking at Google Earth recently, I revisited the sites, just begging to have a coil waved around them. Roads still in place, albeit 4WD rather than car. A plan was hatched.

Drove in this morning, desperately hoping the pipe gate would either be open (or gas axed off, as often tends to happen) as the road got narrower, and the slips got bigger...

Arrived at the site, well didn't recognise it to be honest, so had to turn around and drive a few hundred metres back, and hopped out and thrashed my way up what used to be the driveway.

Gutted.
Google lied.
The site is actually now under about 2-5 metres of logging slash. Still there's always the older one.

No there isn't. Same again.

So much for up to date imagery (the not-yet (or only just) planted pines in the pic are now around 4m tall...)

40 minutes later I was back on tarseal and thoroughly fed up.
Turned to one of my 'pet' permissions for solace which only turned up a half dozen early 1900's pennies in various states from downright ugly to virtually unrecognisable (thankfully George V has a mo' like a walrus) by which time it was approaching low tide.

Beaches were packed, so headed to the rocks for some easy lead collection. Ended up giving two large handfuls to a couple of enthusiastic fishos as by that time I weighed so much I was walking as though I'd shat meself.

This is what I had left anyway

(I haven't bothered with the pennies- more crud than coin)

Edited by user Thursday, 2 January 2014 11:08:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

Mudwiggle attached the following image(s):
Lead.jpg
Djevel  
Posted : Thursday, 2 January 2014 11:20:41 PM(UTC)
Djevel

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Google earth's satellite imagery is easily years old at best.
2014 Finds
Rings - (2 gold) - (2 silver) - (2 junk)
Silver Coins - 25
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 2 January 2014 11:25:34 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
According to the GE datestamp, the image is supposed to be 11/8/13 (or 8/11/13)

Either way something's way out.

(Which also explains why a chimney in a paddock near here is still a house in GE...)

creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 January 2014 6:27:49 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Choice.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz