New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
nzgold  
Posted : Sunday, 12 June 2011 3:19:09 PM(UTC)
nzgold

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
them being Kellyco. sorry
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 12 June 2011 3:42:24 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
nzgold wrote:
That's strange MSB, I got brilliant sevice when I bought my F2 from them and customs didn't stop it either...... customs is a strange one? Some days they must just feel bored so stop more stuff or something.

your rite about customs i got a dredge (used) sent over from the states last year it was in a container so seemly they didnt bother to look at it...had i known that i coulda got a kg or 2 of coke on board...just joke,n!!...anyway there were all these box,s full of goodys and i got to the bottum of 1 and there in front of me were about 6 insects...i looked at them and thought ooo and before i could swat them bizzzz gone! crap! dont no what they were looked like some kind of malaria carrying mozzy...how ever i was told what ever they were they should of died in the cold...maybe!
gbm.
Juggie  
Posted : Monday, 13 June 2011 12:28:29 PM(UTC)
Juggie

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
If you want to do it legal ... contact your local branch of Mainfreight.

Explain to them that you need to talk to someone within the International division & they'll be able to put you onto the right people.

I work for Mainfreight Transport here in Wellington & we have branches in Australia, USA, Europe & Asia that can take your delivery & arrange for it to get to NZ.

Also, talking to the boss of the Wgtn Intl branch just now, it appears they now attract 5% duty.
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2011 7:06:17 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Ok, I will be the "Guinea Pig". I have been eyeing up a certain detector for a while and since my finds have paid off all my previous equipment, I decided I might as well go for it.

Doris has left Kellyco but the email link I gave before was answered the next day by Leilani. So for their Int sales rep, contact her direct using [email protected]. So far I haven't had any delays with her replies.

The detector is listed at $1799.95USD and was their 1st offer to me. I have managed to get them to drop it by $100USD so I suggest negotiating with them. Postage and handling will be $110USD thus so far it will cost me $2245.00NZD.

Let's see what the NZ Govt drags out of me when it comes into the country. I really don't believe import duty has been introduced since December when I got my last one because metal detectors are still advertised by customs as having a 0 rating. But I will keep you up to date as the costs start to add up.

I better find some nice gold with it now!!!
overdog  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2011 1:53:43 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Well volunteered that man! Will be watching with considerable interest how this pans out if you see what I mean!

Out of interest which detector did you go for? And do you mean you can haggle on the price as well?
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2011 5:32:51 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Went for a Whites V3i as I want something that I can adjust to match the ground conditions and targets I'm after. Still in love with the AT Pro but I live on a limited land mass (Waiheke) and thus am quickly hunting myself out. The learning curve on the V3i means it is going to take me a long time to find every target with it!

Yes with all US detector companies don't take their list price as the set price like buying here in NZ. I just hinted that the $1799 would mean it was over my budget by the time it got to NZ and that I would have to think about it. Next day was the offer for $100USD less - equal to free shipping to me.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 19 June 2011 6:04:43 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
You might want to check out New England Detectors in the States too.
Better pricing and freight rates than I have seen mentioned on this forum.
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 1:15:48 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
Ok, I will be the "Guinea Pig". I have been eyeing up a certain detector for a while and since my finds have paid off all my previous equipment, I decided I might as well go for it.

Doris has left Kellyco but the email link I gave before was answered the next day by Leilani. So for their Int sales rep, contact her direct using [email protected]. So far I haven't had any delays with her replies.

The detector is listed at $1799.95USD and was their 1st offer to me. I have managed to get them to drop it by $100USD so I suggest negotiating with them. Postage and handling will be $110USD thus so far it will cost me $2245.00NZD.

Let's see what the NZ Govt drags out of me when it comes into the country. I really don't believe import duty has been introduced since December when I got my last one because metal detectors are still advertised by customs as having a 0 rating. But I will keep you up to date as the costs start to add up.

I better find some nice gold with it now!!!

Ok - an update.

Detector arrived into customs yesterday so rang NZ Post this morning and paid the amount of $361.62 for the processing fee and gst. This wouldn't have been enough for any duty thus still reckon there is no duty charged on a detector. Will confirm once I get the receipt. Hopefully I will get the new machine before the weekend.

So far Kellyco have been great. Communications have been prompt allowing for our time difference and I have no complaints at all.

Now to just wait for that yellow van to turn up at work..........
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 July 2011 1:15:53 PM(UTC)
Shilo

For all those thinking of buying a detector from Kellyco or another overseas supplier - there is defiantly no Duty charged on them.

I have attached a pic of my receipt from customs. As can be seen the major expense is the gst payable because it cost over the $400 mark. The rest are transaction fees etc. At the bottom summery the Duty Rate is stated at zero.

All in all it was an easy process buying from Kellyco and importing the detector. Struck no problems at all.

Customs Invoice
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 July 2011 4:09:49 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Cool! All I have to do now is sell a kidney and Im away!
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 July 2011 7:48:13 PM(UTC)
Shilo

I know what you mean - after 2 detectors I've run out of kidney's! :)

But it is a hobby that pays for itself, according to the hobbies balance sheet that detector has only cost me $500 and if things continue as they have been give me a month and I will be out of the red and wondering what else to upgrade.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 July 2011 9:19:34 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Metal detectors are Duty Free in to NZ .
Probably came about way back by our food manufacturers needing to ensure
our food exports were metal free.

Edited by user Tuesday, 12 July 2011 9:20:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2011 1:32:30 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Having imported some detectors I can tell you that there is no tariff on detectors or coils because they are not manufactured in NZ. Diggers and other accessories will likely have a tariff of 5%. You will have to pay customs fees and GST. Note that GST is charged not only on the cost, but also freight, insurance, and fees. If you have it cleared through customs by a broker, they will charge for the service. If you ship by someone like FedEx they will have one of their guys clear it and the cost of the service is included in the shipping price.
2 Pages<12