New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Sarah  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 11:32:26 AM(UTC)
Sarah

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi all

I'm a journalist with TVNZ, trying to find the people who made this video (posted 2011) to talk to them about a potential story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-yombhn6k

Can anyone help with their identities/ways to contact them?

My contact details: [email protected] or 09 916 7257

Thank you!

Sarah
simon  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 12:18:09 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
and from what angle will the story be?

this video has been around for a long time. there's loads more out there. i wonder.

last thing we need is more dreamers encouraged to get into sniping via more media publicity. it can be a dangerous sport if you don't have a clue. not only can you drown but you could get collected by debris coming downriver, have rocks thrown on you by unsuspecting walkers, get caught in flash floods, or have a boulder silently slide and trap you underwater, or just simply get hypothermia from the cold bloody water.

guess i better not say too much or i might get quoted like all the stuff that is trawled from Facebook into the news.

worst case scenario i guess is the govt legislates sniping via some new law, some more.
overdog  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 12:38:33 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
I can tell you who it WASNT lol!

Sarah  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 12:38:52 PM(UTC)
Sarah

New Zealand

Hi Simon
Sounds like you haven't had great experiences with the media so far - I'd hope we can change that.
We working on a series of stories - and we're used to covering extreme sports in ways which don't encourage people to take part if they don't know what they're doing.
I'm just researching the issue at the moment so all I'm wanting to do is speak to people over the phone to find out more - there's no onus on anyone to take part and until we have a TV camera rolling no one is being quoted!
I'm hoping to chat with you and anyone else reading this forum who knows a bit about gold sniping
Cheers,
Sarah

goldhanded  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 1:39:00 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hello Sarah,I don't know if you noticed but the guys in the video have dredged the spot they are in prior to sniping the gold,I would suggest that is cheating a little bit lol,sniping with only the tools you can carry and not moving any ground with machinery is probly really more the real deal,also due to the fact that the fossicking areas in NZ are fairly limited you may have trouble finding anyone finding good gold,you would be wanting to have a claim or permission to snipe one perhaps to find some good stuff,anyway PM me if you would like to ask any questions,I'm sniping at the moment when the weather allows,cheers
goldtimer  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 1:57:49 PM(UTC)
goldtimer

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
and from what angle will the story be?

this video has been around for a long time. there's loads more out there. i wonder.

last thing we need is more dreamers encouraged to get into sniping via more media publicity. it can be a dangerous sport if you don't have a clue. not only can you drown but you could get collected by debris coming downriver, have rocks thrown on you by unsuspecting walkers, get caught in flash floods, or have a boulder silently slide and trap you underwater, or just simply get hypothermia from the cold bloody water.

guess i better not say too much or i might get quoted like all the stuff that is trawled from Facebook into the news.

worst case scenario i guess is the govt legislates sniping via some new law, some more.

Totally agree, Mum's the word!
simon  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 2:55:18 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
looking at the tv series bering sea gold this season and the number of dredges on the public claim up there in nome has gone from 6 or 8 to over sixty. mostly from the publicity nome has gotten from the first 2 series. so spreading the word isn't on the top of my agenda sorry.
Sideshow  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 3:12:50 PM(UTC)
Sideshow

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
looking at the tv series bering sea gold this season and the number of dredges on the public claim up there in nome has gone from 6 or 8 to over sixty. mostly from the publicity nome has gotten from the first 2 series. so spreading the word isn't on the top of my agenda sorry.

I feel the same way lol no need for cowboys and overnight dreamers!!
oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 3:42:17 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Most of them run by psychopaths, or just plain dullards with no mechanical skills. A recipe for disaster.

gavin  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 5:34:55 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Sarah,

You may find people being discreet as in theory most people on these forums will be doing a little illegal gold prospecting as Crown Minerals makes no provision for the weekend-just-having-a-little-fun-fossicker. In theory if you're not on a designated public fossicking spot or have the permission of a claim owner then I think in theory it's illegal to hit an unclaimed stream / metal detect in the hills looking for gold. Probably considered poaching. I'm not 100% sure regarding the legalities, but I think everything is geared up more for the commercial miner rather than the hobbiest.

Cheers,
Gavin
digahole!!  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 5:38:03 PM(UTC)
digahole!!

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
As has already been suggested, I doubt the guys in the video were in one of recreational areas set aside for the public to enjoy. Chances are that it's a small alluvial claim, so therefore falls outside my definition of a sport, more of a commercial mining operation.
gogold  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 9:28:54 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I would suggest finding some legitimate claim holders and start there. I don't think TVNZ would want to be associated with promoting illegal activities, cos chances are those 2 fellas were poaching that well known river and even if not claimed still illegal as they weren't in a desigmated public area. as stated in precious posts theres already many dreamers who have watched gold rush or bearing sea gold and think they can just go anywhere and do it without realising they are stealing from claim owners.
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 13 January 2014 10:30:28 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Come on guys, We all know who those two are & where they are, but yes....mums the word....sorry Sarah

JW :)
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 January 2014 12:17:23 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Poor girl... shes been told to do some research into gold sniping and opened a case of worms!
Better off talking to a claim owner methinks but then again even that might cause a few problems with jumpers and get rich quick types...
goldhanded  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 January 2014 12:53:29 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
What we have is a couple of guys that have DREDGED an area and then gone about picking the pieces out of the exposed crack with tweezers and quite probable that the whole vid should be taken with a grain of salt,or maybe a few grains of salt?Anyway it should not be looked at as sniping at all,it will put sniping and hobby gold mining in a bad light,the real story should be more about how our fossicking areas the we have are basically the remains of the mass clean out done by the old timers and there is very little gold to be won in them,definatly not enough to make a living off and in times like these where money and jobs are tight I believe we have a right as New Zealanders to be able to choose to go mining with a basic kit on some good ground,there's plenty of it and it would be a great option for people who don't wish to be on a unemployment benefit or for those that just don't fit into the social scene as such and would be better off in the bush doing a little digging.At the end of the day nobody's going to get filthy rich with just a sluice box etc,but we might be able to scratch a living in some decent ground,as it stands the big boys are the ones that are looked after and I would hate to see us fossickers getting a bad wrap or getting the finger pointed at us for rapeing the land when in fact that is so far from the truth it's not funny,in most cases it actually costs more money to go fossicking than you will wash up in your pan at the end of the day,your average fossicker dos less damage than a good storm or rainfall that create slips etc,so come on TVNZ don't go looking for a story that isn't there,dig a little deeper and you will see how a historic right or a way of life is being snuffed out at the expense of the little man while the big boys with the big toys are the ones getting all the favours,it's a pity there isn't more of a united voice to make a stand and to push for a bit more land to work,maybe some form of claims but on a realistic scale as far as price gos and with limits on equipment.Thats my opinion anyway.
NuggetHead  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 January 2014 4:04:06 PM(UTC)
NuggetHead

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You nailed it there goldhanded..... With all the programs out there that send the wrong message about something that most people take on as a hobby and get little more out of it than the pure enjoyment of getting out of cities and into nature, having another story hyper-emphasized doesn't sound like a good idea. Please remember, things done with the best of intentions often end in the worst of outcomes.
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 January 2014 5:36:14 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
I agree with gold handed, good on you for taking the time to write that wee yarn up.
One correction I will add, the guys in the photo are on their claim and the gold they found is what they actually got that day.
In sure there are people who like having a good yarn to mates about their prospecting exploits but to go on public tv and increase competition for the little gold there is even further, that's a different matter entirely. Perhaps one should offer to help and emphasise the difficulty and lack of gold to be had....
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 January 2014 5:45:08 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Bloody good points there Goldhanded... I think the big operations might have a bit more cash to grease the wheels but they are in the same boat as all the rest of us-everybody is out for all the cash they can screw out of us-LINZ,councils,iwi,NZ Minerals-the list goes on.
Heres an idea-instead of a look at snipers why don't TVNZ do a piece on the erosion of our rights to fossick and prospect on crown land?
gavzilla  
Posted : Monday, 20 January 2014 8:45:11 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I can help with your questions, pm me and will go from there.
lucky01  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 January 2014 8:47:36 AM(UTC)
lucky01

New Zealand

hi sarah I can give you contact details privately for one of the guys he is a friend of mine and he can decide if he wants to talk further .
2 Pages12>