New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 10:30:23 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I'm just curious what tips and tricks people have for modifying / adapting their detector to take on missions, bush bash, etc?

With my Gold Bug I'm thinking of replacing the screws that hold the control box to the stem with some sort of butterfly screws so I can quickly and easily detach it. Would mean I can break the detector down even smaller for fitting in my pack for tramping easily into areas. Would also mean I can protect the control box by storing it in some tupperware container while it's fighting for room in my pack.

I've seen some people adapt the arm rest so it's a bit smaller and so easier to pack. Removing the part for the arm and then reversing the smaller ground stand bit around found at the back of the arm rest so that now acts as an arm rest itself.

I've also seen people go crazy with silicon seal to make sure the lead connector on the coil itself is super waterproof, even if the manufacturer indicates the coil is waterproof anyway. I guess it probably helps as the coil gets old and waterproofness might become slightly compromised due to lead flex etc.

Any other cool ideas out there to share?
FossickFester  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 11:48:12 AM(UTC)
FossickFester

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Legend Gavin, I like the idea of butterfly screws for the control box ( I use them for my A52 slucie's chute for quick and easy removal) and the Tupperware container. :)
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 12:44:18 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: FossickFester Go to Quoted Post
Legend Gavin, I like the idea of butterfly screws for the control box ( I use them for my A52 slucie's chute for quick and easy removal) and the Tupperware container. :)

I must admit that the tupperware idea was nicked off another member here ;) He does it with his Minelab X-TERRA 705. The control box on that's made to come off the stem easily so no probs for him.
Chrispy  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 5:35:43 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
I thought of using a telescopic fishing rod as the main staff and the main unit in a waterproof box attached to my belt. the headphones would come out of the waterproof box and be siliconed in place. would be light as the rod is graphite and where you attach the fishing reel id put in a grip handle. The fishing rod ive got is a telescopic surfcaster with a busted tip but you could use any size rod as long as it could carry the weight of the coil.
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 7:42:57 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: Chrispy Go to Quoted Post
I thought of using a telescopic fishing rod as the main staff and the main unit in a waterproof box attached to my belt. the headphones would come out of the waterproof box and be siliconed in place. would be light as the rod is graphite and where you attach the fishing reel id put in a grip handle. The fishing rod ive got is a telescopic surfcaster with a busted tip but you could use any size rod as long as it could carry the weight of the coil.

Interesting idea! You'd need a good sturdy fishing rod though as wouldn't want the coil wobbling back and forth of it's own accord :P
FossickFester  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 8:59:44 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
telescopic fishing rod.....

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "Dirt fishing" LOL :)
Chrispy  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 9:42:52 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Chrispy Go to Quoted Post

Interesting idea! You'd need a good sturdy fishing rod though as wouldn't want the coil wobbling back and forth of it's own accord :P

haha yea but you would only need the handle and the first couple of extensions then cut off the flimsy end sections.
Most telescopic rods open up to around 6ft and above but collapse down to 2ft or the size of the handle. You only need about 4ft to make it work. Easy to stap to the side of a pack.
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 9:44:24 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
You would need a bloody long coil lead...
Chrispy  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 9:53:36 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: overdog Go to Quoted Post
You would need a bloody long coil lead...

I think the gold bug has a 7ft cable??
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 10:07:42 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Try half that Chrispy-just measured mine.
Curious as to why you would want to extend your detector-knowing theres a bit of gold in a crevice 10 foot up a vertical wall and not being able to get up there to dig the bugger would drive me nuts...
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 9 February 2014 10:53:34 PM(UTC)
gavin

I must admit that the shaft on the Gold Bug isn't really an issue as it breaks down in to 3 much smaller easy to handle bits anyway ;)
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 17 February 2014 8:35:21 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 104 post(s)
here's my old ace 350 cameo taped up and I always attach my pro pointer to the arm support. It doesn't make it lighter but its always handy and I never forget it when I go out.
jimmy bedrock attached the following image(s):
SAM_0340 (640x480).jpg
SAM_0336 (640x480).jpg
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 February 2014 8:53:58 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Here's a bodge I use on my F4 for night hunts - allows screen illumination on demand to check depth/batt/VDI etc with ease.
Operation is simple with just a finger press without changing grip or fumbling with headlamps/propointers/candles and no loss of night vision.

I originally used a red LED, but it was too dim, a white was too much so I settled with yellow which works nicely.

The LED is mounted into a strip of acrylic which is shaped and fits between the head unit and the shaft, there is a 'wing' off to the side to which is glued the switch, and to that, the single CR2032 coin cell (3v 180mAh). Connection to the cell is nothing more than a spiral of bared conductor held in place with insulating tape...then coloured black with a permanent marker - no expense spared!
The leads from the LED are in heatshrink, and then hot-glued to the acrylic in order to make it so ugly that no-one will steal the machine.

Best orientation for the LED is at 45° from below and about 2cm away from the screen, still allows pinpoint access if needed, but that is either on or off rather than flicking back and forward, depending on what and where of the search. The LED actually has no reflected glare and a better spread - but that's the only way I could get the camera to focus in the dark.

The screen itself has a cutdown Ipad screen protector over it, installed after the original screen got its first scratch from a careless wipe. You get two screen pieces from one Ipad sheet.

Edited by user Tuesday, 18 February 2014 8:57:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle attached the following image(s):
F4 Face.jpg
Switch.jpg
On.jpg
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Thursday, 6 November 2014 1:50:44 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 104 post(s)
sorry for bring up an old topic but I wanted to share my quick deploy rain coat:)
Just a clear plastic bag taped at the top and I use a valcro cable tie at the bottom and back up when im not using it.
The bags big enough so I can sill turn the knobs thru the bag. Head phones come out the bottom with coil cable
jimmy bedrock attached the following image(s):
SAM_1117 (640x480).jpg
SAM_1118 (640x480).jpg
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 6 November 2014 3:06:52 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: jimmy bedrock Go to Quoted Post
sorry for bring up an old topic but I wanted to share my quick deploy rain coat:)
Just a clear plastic bag taped at the top and I use a valcro cable tie at the bottom and back up when im not using it.
The bags big enough so I can sill turn the knobs thru the bag. Head phones come out the bottom with coil cable

Not a bad idea! I usually have a pocket full of clear plastic bags for this reason, but I like your ready-to-go-at-a-moments-notice variation ;)

Now if Fisher would only bring out a waterproof version so that you don't even have to this about this...

oneounce  
Posted : Sunday, 16 November 2014 3:50:32 PM(UTC)
oneounce

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Hi Guys,

First time on forum. Gavin you did a nice job setting it up. Has been a great help and interest.

Just breaking in a new ctx3030 and found if you use clear plastic contact paper over the screen it not only stops scratching but you can put a few prompt written notes under it while you getting to know the machine. You get it at the Warehouse at about $3.00 a roll. It is used to cover exercise books etc.

Cheers
one ounce

CTX3030
Excalibur 11
Detecknix Xpointer
Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones
Gog Headphones

Detecting - Knowledge is Power