New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

East-Auck-Fossicker  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2011 3:42:18 PM(UTC)
East-Auck-Fossicker

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The tide puts the sand on the beach and the tide takes the sand off the beach. That's just one of lifes many mysteries. When the tide is taking the sand off the beach and if it's taking it off slowly, the beach to me is more lucky. You'd think it would be the opposit because the extra layers of sand would be holding the treasure on the beach instead of washing it out to sea. I think what might be happening is the treasure is slowly sinking deeper in the soft sand. With people walking on the soft sand and the wave action could vibrate the treasure deeper. When the tide takes large amounts of sand of the beach like in a storm. I think everything gets washed out to sea.
During a ebb tide, that's an extra low tide, take advantage of the exta mud flats that are uncovered first. Keep an eye on the tide and don't let it seek up on you. Look around and have a escape plan. Out on the mud flats there is far less rubbish , but also less chance of find anything so you can go for a bigger coil. A bigger coil can search more ground and go a bit deeper, but harder to pin point your target. I gave up trying to use a big coil on the beach. Just bouncing from one target to the next is very confusing. I've wondered what would happen if you had one person with a big coil on the beach and just put sticks in the sand roughly where the targets are and another person behind with a smaller coil zeroing in on the targets.
But anyway back to our mud flats. Scattered along most beaches is small mud pools. In these pools the mud is softer, so naturally if things are rolling around on the bottom they would sink into this softer sand.With an ebb tide, sometimes these pools drain a bit more which makes them easier to search.
Finally on a surf beach or a beach with a small chop where the tide is out and where the sand meets the mud. Things are really getting churned up and you can see things getting tussed around. This is a really good spot, but hard to work. I've been playing with a small basket on a stick. The idea is you search up to your kness in depth. When you get a signal. You visualize where it is and scoop a little before and alittle after the signal and moving in an arch.This takes a bit of pratice. You need to work slowly and carefully. And remember if you get your metal detector wet it could short out. Bye bye metal detector !
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2011 12:04:39 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

My nephew and I used a similar 2 detector system.

He would find targets with his GPX3000 (?) and I would go over them with my MAG-505 magnetometer which would tell us if they were non-ferrous.

Unfortunately, up the moonlight, we just ended up with loads of spent rifle cartridges. :(

We're looking to using a similar system when doing some coin hunting at public places in a short while. Our main problem now is having too many detector/coil choices. We don't have a pinpointer yet - I've got a Garrett wand detector - the one they use at airports - and I'll probably just repackage it into a smaller case and start experimenting with different coil constructions to make it more useful and pinpointing and nugget hunting,

kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2011 4:43:04 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:28:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 18 June 2011 2:44:40 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Hi JW,

It was the one in the Paparoas, a few months back. Came over to witness the CHCH situation firsthand as I'm bringing my family back to NZ shortly and we're considering CHCH surrounds, having family and being from CHCH. I'd be quite happy with large block outside Reefton or the like myself, being keen on self-sufficiency - especially with a global total economic meltdown on the cards. But wife and oldest son demand closer-to-the-action. Sigh. Maybe we can meet half-way at Oxford or something.

Bringing 2 MAG-505's and Deepers X5 and Garret GT2500 with me, and have a nephew (on this forum) who's into it too - both detecting and pure gold hunting, so will be spending a lot more time on this site in the future. Will be applying for a claim once we've done some more research.

Cheers.

kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 19 June 2011 12:19:08 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi

There is a Detector Group in Auckland if you want to get in touch. The club is call the Te Tahi Detectorists. I can give you the contact details if you need them I get a newsletter from then every two months and the stuff they find is pretty awesonme. Sad to say, Whites bay and Picton has proven to be treasure poor for me.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 19 June 2011 6:14:44 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:29:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 20 June 2011 2:53:30 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Is there a detector club in CHCH? I've been wondering for quite some time that since they will be demolishing so many old buildings in the central city, it would be a prime time to search for old rubbish tips that might reveal interesting snippets to the early days of CHCH. I was thinking of talking to the Canterbury Museum about combining with them somehow to get permission to sweep empty properties once the areas were deemed safe.

Would be better to also employ ground radar but those beasts are hideiously expensive!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 20 June 2011 4:10:57 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
oroplata wrote:

Is there a detector club in CHCH? I've been wondering for quite some time that since they will be demolishing so many old buildings in the central city, it would be a prime time to search for old rubbish tips that might reveal interesting snippets to the early days of CHCH. I was thinking of talking to the Canterbury Museum about combining with them somehow to get permission to sweep empty properties once the areas were deemed safe.

Would be better to also employ ground radar but those beasts are hideiously expensive!

It is a nice idea BUT you do realise that this is the country of suppression of the masses, political correctness and the person beside you, next door neighbour etc for ever ready to report you at the drop of a hat to Big Brothers puppets! I am sure you know what I mean - Once upon a time if your cat crapped on the carpet and you drop kicked it outside forgetting to open the window first everyone laughed - today you get two years in prison after the Armed Offenders squad lays seige to the house as the result of you abusing the neighbour who went ballistic at you for assaulting the errant cat! Of course it was your own fault for holding a butter knife when you opened the door..after all it was lunch time.

Now days you get done for digging up bottles and other material items over such and such an age. Generally not much older than me - I may be known for being hysterical sometime but not yet historical. These items are called historical items and are protected by the act - we actually think we have history out here - strangely enough most Europeans would be rather quizzical about that...What I mean by that is the fact that one of the Padres for the Australian Light Horse during WWI didnt dig up Roman sites because they were 'too modern' he went for the older stuff, the real history! BC. Of course the Romans were pillagers and plunderers so you werent likely to find much at Roman sites - you found the real goodies at pre Roman sites which they hadnt plundered...this indicates that the padre may have had ulterior motives... personally I wouldnt have worried - I would have just gone to the closest museum...dressed as a Turk.

If some poor bloke gets done for removing tailings (which were getting eroded anyway) then do you really think you have a chance detecting historic sites - you might get away with it for the first two or three but eventually some self righteous, sanctimonious, w...er with legs all along his/her belly will go tittle tale telling to...whoever and your in trouble.

Now I did notice that you mention in conjunction with Canterbury museum etc and the idea holds merit to a degree but you would either have to be 'in the know' or an established and recognized group who has developed a reputation for integrity and honesty, proving that you have skills which the museum, archaeologists etc can utilize - and it aint no fun having to hand over the gold sovereign you found to them is it...you would do so of course...after all you have honesty and integrity! As for me theres a certain hypocrisy within my honesty so I am exempt.

Edited by user Monday, 20 June 2011 5:17:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

fastangler  
Posted : Monday, 20 June 2011 1:29:26 PM(UTC)
fastangler

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
buildings would be a major pain in the arse with all the nails and steel and rubbish,let alone all the emi you would get in the central city
i tryed to find my mates keys in a paddock by some stables,every swing a target,hundreds of them,drove me mental
got the keys in the end the old fashioned way
East-Auck-Fossicker  
Posted : Monday, 20 June 2011 1:29:45 PM(UTC)
East-Auck-Fossicker

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 11 post(s)
kiwisouth wrote:
Hi

There is a Detector Group in Auckland if you want to get in touch. The club is call the Te Tahi Detectorists. I can give you the contact details if you need them I get a newsletter from then every two months and the stuff they find is pretty awesonme. Sad to say, Whites bay and Picton has proven to be treasure poor for me.

thank you for taking the time to send in fo. Yes I would be interested in this club , I've been trying to find them for about 12 months. Please send any more info.
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 20 June 2011 4:14:10 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:29:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 20 June 2011 4:24:44 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:30:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 June 2011 8:59:22 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
kiwijw wrote:
You relic hunters may be interested in this:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/u...e-and-technical/sr68.pdf

Happy hunting

JW :)

I used to play around those ruins as a kid.
Happy days.

oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 June 2011 3:49:20 PM(UTC)
oroplata

fastangler wrote:
buildings would be a major pain in the arse with all the nails and steel and rubbish,let alone all the emi you would get in the central city
i tryed to find my mates keys in a paddock by some stables,every swing a target,hundreds of them,drove me mental
got the keys in the end the old fashioned way

I'm talking bare sections after the buildings have been demolished and the site completely cleared.
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 June 2011 3:54:44 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Lammerlaw wrote:
oroplata wrote:

It is a nice idea BUT you do realise that this is the country of suppression of the masses, political correctness and the person beside you, next door neighbour etc for ever ready to report you at the drop of a hat to Big Brothers puppets! I am sure you know what I mean - Once upon a time if your cat crapped on the carpet and you drop kicked it outside forgetting to open the window first everyone laughed - today you get two years in prison after the Armed Offenders squad lays seige to the house as the result of you abusing the neighbour who went ballistic at you for assaulting the errant cat! Of course it was your own fault for holding a butter knife when you opened the door..after all it was lunch time.

Now days you get done for digging up bottles and other material items over such and such an age. Generally not much older than me - I may be known for being hysterical sometime but not yet historical. These items are called historical items and are protected by the act - we actually think we have history out here - strangely enough most Europeans would be rather quizzical about that...What I mean by that is the fact that one of the Padres for the Australian Light Horse during WWI didnt dig up Roman sites because they were 'too modern' he went for the older stuff, the real history! BC. Of course the Romans were pillagers and plunderers so you werent likely to find much at Roman sites - you found the real goodies at pre Roman sites which they hadnt plundered...this indicates that the padre may have had ulterior motives... personally I wouldnt have worried - I would have just gone to the closest museum...dressed as a Turk.

If some poor bloke gets done for removing tailings (which were getting eroded anyway) then do you really think you have a chance detecting historic sites - you might get away with it for the first two or three but eventually some self righteous, sanctimonious, w...er with legs all along his/her belly will go tittle tale telling to...whoever and your in trouble.

Now I did notice that you mention in conjunction with Canterbury museum etc and the idea holds merit to a degree but you would either have to be 'in the know' or an established and recognized group who has developed a reputation for integrity and honesty, proving that you have skills which the museum, archaeologists etc can utilize - and it aint no fun having to hand over the gold sovereign you found to them is it...you would do so of course...after all you have honesty and integrity! As for me theres a certain hypocrisy within my honesty so I am exempt.

Ah. I've been out of the country for over 10 years. Very sad. Modern society seems to be digging itself a huge hole. :(

kiwisouth  
Posted : Thursday, 23 June 2011 12:23:10 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Beat me to it KiwiJW. I'm reading the messages while I'm at work tonight and din't bring a copy of the newsletter in.

There were a few guys around Chch when I was living there a few years ago but never actually managed to catch up with any of them. I have been in touch quite a bit with Phil Salmon who is the pres of the Te Tahi Dectector Club. Him and his wife even manage to get down to the Mainland to go scratching for gold and does pretty good. He sent me a pic of a gold pump he made out of PVC pipe, a metal bar with a tennis ball on the end to act as a plunger. When I find the pics I'll put them on the forum . Very basic and works a treat supposedly.

The club does well in Auckland and they are generally held in high regard by the authorities as they have a code of ethics / bylaws that the members abide by. Where the Yanks were during WW2 in the grounds of Wesley College I think, the club has many invites back to continue their digs where they have found rubbish dumps of helmets and mess tins, badges, bayonets and all sorts of other stuff. There are some around that don't like detectorists, even at the beach but all you can do is fill up your holes, don't be a nuisance and keep walking.

When it comes to looking for relics, I have mentioned this before - anything over 100yrs old in NZ is protected and comes under the Historic Places Act. I can't even go pottering around the old gold mining camps in Marlborough with my detector, in case I disturb some archeology. Think back to the guy down south who got done like a done thing for moving tailings on his own property. We have to be careful.

A few years ago in Chch, an old shop on a street corner was demolished. Dated back to the late 1800's - early 1900's. I found a spoon. That's it. I don't even know how old that was. When is comes to detecting, it is always a surprise as to what you will find. On Sumner Beach, I had a big signal, dug down and came away with a six pack of CD beer. better than the rings I have found, the cannon ball, the hundreds of dollars in coins and a gold watch. You just never know what you will find. Will the Historic Places Trust treat the streets of Chch as an archeology site and keep everyone away then let the developers pour tons of concrete and pavement? Probably
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 5 August 2011 10:46:14 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
just a quick question..i noticed in a few of the different post on different topics that kiwijw posts dont show up..why is that?..i have come across many that arnt showing
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
x-terra steve  
Posted : Friday, 5 August 2011 11:32:44 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
hi nzpoohbear40,me 2 have asked te same question with no answer to date,not a problem now i know the me PC aint to blame!
Steve
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 12:19:17 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Quote:
anything over 100yrs old in NZ is protected and comes under the Historic Places Act

So the 1900 penny I found last weekend is protected (should I have re-buried it?) but the 1916 penny I found to day is fair game? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

As a generalization I would say that the more rules there are the easier they are for people to ignore.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 12:37:21 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
lmao i agree bud...but if you are going to rebury those 2 coins let me know where eh...hahahaha
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/