New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Nick-the-kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 21 February 2014 9:36:59 PM(UTC)
Nick-the-kiwi

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi everyone, I am looking for someone to act as a guide and take my dad and I gold panning or sluicing. We are down from the north island on Holliday arrive Queenstown sat 22 feb 2014 there for a few days. We have looked at tours etc but they seem to be more about 4wd trips with a bit of panning we are looking at more time wet in a creak than those trips offer. If anyone can help or has any ideas please txt or ring me, many thanks Nick 0275328896
Flintlock  
Posted : Friday, 21 February 2014 11:50:24 PM(UTC)
Flintlock

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
If you don't get anyone to take you out, just go to the public fossiccing area on the Shotover. I got quite a bit of colour up at the top end of it just below where the jet boats turn around. Just look for the blacksand behind biggish rocks just out of the water.
simon  
Posted : Saturday, 22 February 2014 7:11:50 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
LOL. the public fossicking area IS NOT where the jetboats turn round. It is way downstream below Tucker Beach.

I happened to go to the trouble to get permission to work this stretch of river. It is indeed someone's claim. Please refer to the permit section of the forum and you can see what is claimed. This claim runs from near the old arthurs point pub site, up to the deep creek junction. All the river further up is under further claims.

The guy that found the coin 'panning' was also on this claim. True there are no signs. Signage is a waste of money as it all gets pulled out. Just like i would not go and dig up someone's backyard without thinking first, hey someone must own this and i will need to check it out first and get permission to do so, same goes on all public land. It is not a free for all, and by all means claim owners also face many restrictions on what they can do.

If anyone wants to work this stretch of river they need to ask. We will probably let you if you ask, and if you are nice about it. But it has never been a public fossicking area and never will be. If you want a decent public fossicking area you could try the Arrow, or there is also the 5 Mile and the 12 Mile, so plenty of choice. if you must be on the Shotover, it's downstream of Tucker beach road through the reserve walking track on the bend.

Anyone with a dredge or even a hand sluice that is not us and does not have permission and thinks they will steal from the claim may find their details recorded in some manner, to put it nicely. People spend lots of money securing such areas so please respect the law.

Nick: if you're out that way come and talk to us today and we will let you have a pan and show you a few tricks and where to find it.
Nick-the-kiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 22 February 2014 7:52:49 AM(UTC)
Nick-the-kiwi

New Zealand

Thanks Simon for the info, where abouts can I find you?
simon  
Posted : Saturday, 22 February 2014 8:01:46 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

You'll see us on the bend. go down oxenbridge tunnel road (the gravel road that starts by the old stone edith cavel bridge by shotover jet). go down until you get to the river.
Nick-the-kiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 22 February 2014 8:10:02 AM(UTC)
Nick-the-kiwi

New Zealand

Thanks
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 23 February 2014 2:37:10 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Whose responsibility is it to mark the claim in a manner to stop confusion & make people aware?

Is it part of a requirement that the Govt states a claim holder/prospector to do?

You see its one thing assuming someones out to steal someones gold, however its a totally different issue if someone is fossicking an area that is NOT clearly marked -

If these prospectors are investing so much of their hard earned cash into getting permits, consents etc etc then surely they have an obligation to mark off their claim as per their agreement with the state - If its NOT marked then why would you grizzle about people stumbling onto your claim -

Yeah sure we will get the 'too hard to mark out' fullas and the, some bar steward keeps 'pulling our markers' out etc -

Yet I hear of some awesome prospecting stories of guys dragging equipment over rocks, against the currents, through the bush & blah blah ...................... yet I am led to believe that its a big bloody hassle marking a claim -

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 23 February 2014 9:28:39 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

I think in the old days you had to mark your claim with pegs. in the modern age you just get it surveyed then its up to all to investigate who owns the land they are on and then see what you are allowed to do on said land. basically all land is owned by someone, or some govt department. it would be silly to think it was 'wasteland' thus ripe for some sort of plundering. so it is each persons responsibility to find out such facts before digging/planting/fishing/tramping/building a shack or whatever.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of tools out and about nowadays that have no respect for other people's property and prefer to pull out any markers thus making it impossible for anyone to know what is claimed. there is also the natural elements out to destroy markers in floods etc. and even if marked some would say they simply didn't see said markers. and the cost of replacing signage is pretty steep. around here even the doc no camping signs get nicked.

I don't think it is any longer a govt requirement to stake a claim as such. this is done via paperwork and recorded for all to see online. it is up to each person to figure out. i think this is where half the confusion starts. a good example is the local river. because people see everyone else down there panning /sluicing or illegally dredging they presume it is ok to do the same. really if you don't do your research these days you are asking for trouble. it's no different with other stuff. you just have to research, and probably pay for your rights.
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 24 February 2014 11:55:54 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Thanks for that Simon - I wasnt trying to be a smart arse regarding this, however the way things are it also allows for just your average joe blow prospecter to tear strips out of anyone who stumbles into their claim whilst fossicking a river or stream -

Who in the h3ll checks out mining permits when they are taking their family out for a stroll down a bush clad stream?

Now I know a lot of prospectors pay big $$ to do what they want to do, however they also must meet their legal obligations before telling anyone else how it is -

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Golddigger7  
Posted : Monday, 24 February 2014 2:22:59 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
There is no requirement under the Crown Minerals Act to put signage up on a claim, and surveying and pegging a claim is at the discretion of the Minister. So the responsibility is on the claim jumpers to find out where they can go, the fact of the matter is that you cant fossick willy nilly everywhere you dam well like anyway, for that you nee a prospectors licence at the very least, which means you should have done some research and made an application for the area that you wish to prospect in, and you will have identified during this process where all the relevant permits are or are not.

Mining is not a right that you can do anywhere you please, in fact it is a very controlled activity. Claim owners are responsible for activities within their claim, so if poachers come in, make a mess and leave , the claim owner is responsible for the clean up as an example. There are usually strict mineral access arrangements with every claim of which fossickers and claim jumpers will not be aware of, and this is why a claim owner just cant let anyone come and use their claim.

Like it or not, the fossicker is stuck in the fossicking areas provided, unless they can arrange access on a permit. You simply cant wander anywhere you please and dig holes. Once upon a time there was miners permit you could by at the Post Office which did give you a kind of right to go everywhere, provided you had landowners permission and you weren't on anyone's claim, but those days are long gone, in fact you could blame Rogernomics for the destruction of these heirlooms. As the country has become more corporatised, the rights that you seek have now long gone to be a distant memory.

As has been mentioned countless times in this forum, group together and organise a claim that you can all frolic around in, you can sign post it peg it and do as you please then, you could even wear grand dadas undies if you want, but one thing you cant do is think you can go anywhere you please without any consequences if you get caught.
Flintlock  
Posted : Friday, 28 February 2014 7:20:26 PM(UTC)
Flintlock

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Sorry if I have caused any offence to anyone but I was on the understanding I was on the public fossiccing area on Tuckers Beach. I may not have described it correctly.

I have looked at the permit maps on this site and can't find a claim immediately above the fossiccing area. Can anyone point to a link to this claim?
Thanks
simon  
Posted : Friday, 28 February 2014 10:02:54 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Sorry flintlock, i think you must have been referring to where the yellow kawarau jetboats go. i presumed wrong in thinking you meant the shotover jet boats. think i thought this as i haven't known anyone to go to the public area down there, might be why theres still gold there.

the claim i meant was from the old pub at arthurs point upstream. i see someone has dug up the river edge access good and proper. a good trench up to a metre deep right into the upper bank. some people are just idiots. it's this sort of shit that gets everyone in trouble and why no one is too keen to have weekend warriors on their claim as the claim owners are responsible for any mess made. luckily this river rights itself every time it floods but i have seen similar in banks that are then going to erode further. all for a couple of scraps of gold at best.