New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 24 February 2014 7:46:11 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Hi guys just made up a pretty basic coin tumbler, which actually works pretty well. I just use it for the modern spendibles, I wouldn't want to put anything too good into it.

Basically just a click clack lunch box with shaft (bolt and big washers would do) fitted to a drill. That's the important part the drill needs to be a very low speed drill so the coins don't sit out on the sides with centrifugal force. I just used a bit of fine gravel, dishwashing liquid and a little water. The first test run was for an hour with quite pleasing results, and a lot quicker and easier than using the dremel (which is how I was cleaning the clad). Another bonus is that it proved to be very quite. Not sure what the boy is putting his lunch in tomorrow though!
Iggyrulz attached the following image(s):
coin tumbler.jpg
tumbler sample.jpg
Djevel  
Posted : Monday, 24 February 2014 8:17:38 PM(UTC)
Djevel

New Zealand

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Haha that's awesome man, have you seen the mods done on old broken printers where a can spins on the rollers?
2014 Finds
Rings - (2 gold) - (2 silver) - (2 junk)
Silver Coins - 25
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 24 February 2014 8:29:17 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Djevel Go to Quoted Post
Haha that's awesome man, have you seen the mods done on old broken printers where a can spins on the rollers?

Thanks-AHHH YES BROKEN PRINTERS I know all about them they seem to have a very short life span in our house for some reason. Yes I have seen a few of them they look pretty good, I decided with my limited electronic knowledge I might struggle a bit.

I was considering using a variable speed sabre saw or detail sander and making more of a vibrating device, but I think the tumbler works better, and this thing is whisper quite, some of the You Tube examples are pretty load.
Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 24 February 2014 9:31:03 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I tried an orbital sander with a 2 litre milk bottle one time, worked well and after a while you couldn't hear it 2 reasons 1st you start to go deaf 2nd any slippage betwen the pad and the bottle and pretty soon the bottle gets chewed/melts through it also took a bit of cleaning the jif and gravel dust off the walls but it did work and it was pretty funny. *8^)
Stormwalkernz  
Posted : Sunday, 24 August 2014 1:26:18 PM(UTC)
Stormwalkernz

New Zealand

Id love to learn more about using the broken printers?

Thanks.
andy  
Posted : Sunday, 24 August 2014 6:05:41 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro