New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 3 March 2014 4:12:06 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 104 post(s)
hay guys how do you know if a beach is sanded in?
I went out today for my first low tide beach hunt(very popular beach) with my new PI detector and didn't get many signals.
I hunted all the troughs, low points ,ripple sand up and down the beach for 2 hours .
most of the things I got were 10 inches + and the detector was running nice on the wet sand. just nothing to dig.
what's up with that?
jimmy bedrock attached the following image(s):
SAM_0653 (640x480).jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 3 March 2014 4:47:56 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Might be not much there JB.
Seems like your hitting all the right spots.
Have you considered slowing your swing speed?

MK

Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 3 March 2014 5:24:23 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
If the sand in the wet area is large grain, light in colour and softish then that area is sanding in. Lots of pull tabs and other light items like seaweed and shells are another giveaway. If you strike an area where the sand is compact and a dark gray or at least darker then the rest of the beach then that part is eroding away (the dark is caused by heavier metal based sand left behind after the light stuff has been shifted away - think panning for gold).

For ripple channels, the seaward side is normally new sand coming in but the land side of the channel is often being scored out by the current moving along the channel. The ripples consist develop from new sand deposited by the current. If there are no targets among the ripples themselves then then 1 - 2m of the slope of the landward side of the channel could be worth a hunt.

jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 3 March 2014 5:29:56 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
Might be not much there JB.
Seems like your hitting all the right spots.
Have you considered slowing your swing speed?

MK

Ill try slowing down a bit next time im out...
I was think there would be a lot of trash on the beach but could hardly find any..
The pic is from beach day 2014 not today.(just me there today)

Edited by user Monday, 3 March 2014 7:40:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jimmy bedrock attached the following image(s):
Untitled (568x314).jpg
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 3 March 2014 5:45:25 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
If the sand in the wet area is large grain, light in colour and softish then that area is sanding in. Lots of pull tabs and other light items like seaweed and shells are another giveaway. If you strike an area where the sand is compact and a dark gray or at least darker then the rest of the beach then that part is eroding away (the dark is caused by heavier metal based sand left behind after the light stuff has been shifted away - think panning for gold).

For ripple channels, the seaward side is normally new sand coming in but the land side of the channel is often being scored out by the current moving along the channel. The ripples consist develop from new sand deposited by the current. If there are no targets among the ripples themselves then then 1 - 2m of the slope of the landward side of the channel could be worth a hunt.

thanks for tips Shilo.
I covered a lot of area with my 12inch coil. tried all different parts of the beach zig zaging along, up and down, round and round.
I don't think it was sanded in then. was compact in areas and I could see the different colour sands change from light to dark .
I must need some more detecting time under my belt.

Edited by user Monday, 3 March 2014 5:46:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijim  
Posted : Monday, 3 March 2014 9:00:28 PM(UTC)
kiwijim

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Yip I am having the same problem here at the Mount,it seems to be fairly general at the moment,although I did get a small gold ring and a bit of silver in the weekend,but sure had to put in a few hours work for it.What I have learnt is to keep an eye on the beach,as they are forever changing,also as a rule if I don't find anything within half an hour,then I know that its going to be hard going,and often move along to another section or if that fails leave the beach and go park hunting.The other thing I have been doing is to just choice a section of beach that looks pretty promising and just work it very slowly and dig every deep suspect signal,,,,,,those are my thoughts hope it helps.
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 March 2014 6:43:15 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

went to anther beach today after work. PI detector & nails everywhere. heaps of beeps bit more fun than no beeps. nothing decent to report...unless you like nails?
Thanks guys
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 March 2014 7:29:28 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
I told you, its not gonna be easy :-)
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 March 2014 7:55:47 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post
I told you, its not gonna be easy :-)

lol not easy but me and my dog had a good time.
I didn't really go to close to the water on this beach. its got dumping waves that come out of no where and suck people in. no swimming....
not a cool beach just wanted to have a play with my new toy...loving the power. feel like a man with that 12inch lol:)