New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

goldmad22  
Posted : Thursday, 6 March 2014 12:27:04 PM(UTC)
goldmad22

Groups: Registered

Hey there guys!

Myself and a couple of mates have been watching far to much gold rush and have thus got gold fever lol!

Had no experience what so ever, so really just posting this topic to learn any techniques/good fossicking areas.
We are based in the bay of plenty but are wanting to plan some sort of trip up to waihi/whitianga.

Have just purchased a sluicebox and pans off trademe, so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Have been trying to do a bit of research but it kinda seems its all about the west coast..?
Is this a fair statement? haha

Cheers!
gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 6 March 2014 10:33:57 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Yep that's a pretty fair statement.

The Coromandel is not a place to learn what to do. You really need to be able to recognise gold in the pan to be able to find it up here. I suggest you do a roader around the public fossicking areas down south and if you still have the bug after that, you can do some exploring locally.

You might want to do a bit of panning practice before you go. Get a shotgun cartridge, 8 or 9 shot, and put a couple of pellets in a pan of gravel, or some small lead shavings. There are plenty of online videos to give you an idea of panning technique. If the pellets are the last thing in your pan, you are doing okay.
Black Country Albert  
Posted : Friday, 18 April 2014 1:10:37 AM(UTC)
Black Country Albert

New Zealand

Thought I'd give this thread a bump. Has anyone gone over to Waihi or Whitianga lately? What about Karangahake Gorge and Golden Cross Road? Just thoughts on these places. I spoke to a very experienced miner (20 years plus experience) who said there's quite a lot turning up around the hills and streams just outside Wellington.

Thanks, Alb.