New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 19 June 2011 12:00:36 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Any thoughts on these? A member on here has got some with the 5 inch coil and from what Ive researched Im sorely tempted... Or shall I just save up and get the 2?
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 June 2011 7:44:51 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Overdog,

Are you sure it is an original Gold Bug? This is often a confusing issue because there was the original Gold Bug (don't know anything about them) and then there was the Gold Bug 2 which is still a very popular and effective detector. Then Fisher came out with a new Gold Bug that they again called 'Gold Bug' instead of 'Gold Bug 3’ which leads to a bit of confusion. This new Gold Bug was at one point sold as the 'Gold Bug Special Edition' or 'Gold Bug SE.’ These units stirred things up a bit because they were quite effective (at least as effective as the Gold Bug 2) but were considerably less expensive. Kellyco had them for a while but I don't think they sell them now. They are still available and are simply called 'Gold Bug' and come with a 5 inch coil. Then Fisher upgraded the software in these units and now sells them as 'Gold Bug Pro' which has a 5 inch coil, and 'Gold Bug DP' which has an 11 inch coil. That is my understanding of the Gold Bug saga anyway.