New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

simon  
Posted : Thursday, 13 March 2014 8:57:49 AM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi all,

Myself and a couple of other forum members are working the Shotover River, the stretch from where the Shotover Jet launch there boats, up to the Oxenbridge Tunnel.

Under the rules we need to make sure that no banks are dug up and the like. Unfortunately this have been happening lately to a big extent. True, the damage will disappear in a big flood, but at present the river is very low and will probably remain so for some time. It would require a very large flood to right what has been going on out there. I will try and post some pics of what has been done there by people recently.

Any such damage reflects back on the claim owner so we are reminding everyone that this piece of river HAS NEVER BEEN A PUBLIC FOSSICKING AREA. Just need to make this clear to all. And even if it was the sort of damage being done is not acceptable even if it was a public fossicking area.

I have talked to some folk out there and it is clear the knowledge/ignorance of any rules is foggy at best.

To make it clear, no dredges are allowed there except ours. You will be reported to the police immediately. Cameras operate in the area and you will be prosecuted so please don't bother trying. It's not worth getting your gear and vehicle seized.

Anything powered by batteries trying to get around the issue of 'mechanically driven' is also not permitted.

What is allowed is hand tools. This is pans and sluice boxes. Digging is only allowed at the river edge. No holes to be dug and left unfilled.

The claim owner does not have to allow anyone to even pan here so i think this is a fair deal. I know many locals have frequented the area for generations so we are allowing this to continue. But anything unlawful can not continue. It has never been ok to dig up the banks or the vehicle track with giant unfilled holes for all to fall in for example.

Permission will continue on the basis that users will hopefully moderate newcomers if they see anything happening that shouldn't be. If anything is seen that seems suspect please tell us.

Frequent users moving big amounts of material with a hand sluice do need to talk to us before continuing.

If anyone has any questions please contact me via this forum.

Edited by user Sunday, 16 March 2014 8:34:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 13 March 2014 10:29:35 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
How about metal detectors? It's not clear if your "anything powered by batteries" is more in relation to devices used to process dirt in some way.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 13 March 2014 12:30:51 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Gavin:

No, i wasn't referring to metal detectors but under law you aren't meant to be on someone's claim with those either. no good for detectors there as full of magnetite and metal rubbish and gold is all flour sized. funnily enough you do see the odd person still trying there though lol.

Golddigger7  
Posted : Thursday, 13 March 2014 12:45:18 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I would just like to say that everyone who goes to the Oxenbridge tunnel respect what Simon has said. He has gone to the trouble of finding the claim owner and got permission, and has also got limited permission for hand tools for most other folks as well, so dont stuff it up.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 13 March 2014 4:02:47 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Thanks Golddigger, I'ts not easy trying to keep everyone happy. On one end of the stick, the important end, i have to stick to the condition of the permit. this clearly states no digging away from the water. Pretty standard. On the other hand i have to keep locals that have always gone out there happy and i'm trying to keep this access open. Trouble is this eats up valuable time and i can easily now see that it is easier to just have a blanket ban on everyone and everything. Pisses me off when i go out of my way with complete strangers that won't even tell me their name and advise them what is ok and what is not, to see them right in front of me the next day digging up the access and bank right where i said it was not ok. it's these sort of dumbasses that will ruin it for everyone. As in this case a lot of these people are tourists that simply don't give a shit about our country. Someone else has just dug a massive area out and partly chucked all their rock in our dredging hole. not on as its interferring with our work. at the end of the day its not a rich stretch of water and such holdups limit our productivity. i think the owners have been too nice for too long out there and sometime soon someone that is pushing it way to far is going to feel the law on them. there's plenty of other better places to dig or even get a permit yourself. i guess its hard to keep everyone happy.
Cleggie  
Posted : Thursday, 13 March 2014 4:50:21 PM(UTC)
Cleggie

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Thanks for the info Simon, my brother and I go there and do a bit of sluicing whenever I'm down that way and it would be a real shame if the actions of a few greedy idiots stuff it up for all of us.

As you point out the ground there isn't rich I got 0.3 grams for a day and a half fossicking. Had a good time there waving at the Jet boats and trying to keep the gold in the box when the wake washes into the sluice... all good fun as it should be.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 13 March 2014 5:38:21 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Cleggie, all good, might see you there some time. yeah, those that dig big pits just need to be considerate and fill them back in and everyones happy.
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 14 March 2014 8:47:11 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cleggie Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the info Simon, my brother and I go there and do a bit of sluicing whenever I'm down that way and it would be a real shame if the actions of a few greedy idiots stuff it up for all of us.

As you point out the ground there isn't rich I got 0.3 grams for a day and a half fossicking. Had a good time there waving at the Jet boats and trying to keep the gold in the box when the wake washes into the sluice... all good fun as it should be.

Everything in Queenstown has got to have an adrenaline element - even operating the sluicebox it seems! :P
NuggetHead  
Posted : Friday, 14 March 2014 3:20:23 PM(UTC)
NuggetHead

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Don't give an inch Si, Give an inch, people take a mile!
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 15 March 2014 1:36:58 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
Gavin:

No, i wasn't referring to metal detectors but under law you aren't meant to be on someone's claim with those either. no good for detectors there as full of magnetite and metal rubbish and gold is all flour sized. funnily enough you do see the odd person still trying there though lol.

Just a quick question - What if the metal detectorist is purely there for relic hunting? i.e. saving the old prospectors history .... etc?

You see I hunt some very old workings near where I live - I am purely after their relics but if I happened across some of that gold many of you go mad over, I would pass it to either the land owner / claim owner if possible, if not, tag & release :)

Personally I would prefer to be attacked by one of these angry prospectors than find a chunk of gold, as I have no idea what I would do with the gold

Edited by user Saturday, 15 March 2014 5:01:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 8:32:28 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

good point. i'd say you'd be looking at the historic places trust on that one if you're claiming to be looking for old relics. for every action there is a govt dept ready to stop you or ask for your money lol.

this area is not really detecting country as anyone local will know. firstly, there is black sand/magnetite spread like a thick carpet. right from granules to rocks of the stuff. secondly there are also lots of 'hot' rocks that will send your detector screaming. lastly, it seems the river was used as a bit of a dump in previous times thus there are nails, bolts, chunks of fluming, old digger blades, shot, and anything else made of metal. the killer blow is all the gold is fine flood gold. so not much good for a detector really.
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 9:19:34 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Thanks for that Simon - Yeah I kinda figured it would be that way up there - Believe it or not the natural gold doesnt do much for me (certified crazy I know) as I prefer to find the old miners relics & stashes -

I just wanted to point out to you hard working prospectors, that not all detectorists are chasing the same things you guys are -

I am also in contact with DOC regarding the sites I hunt as I want to make sure the historical value of any site I hunt be preserved for all to benefit & not just for myself - I didnt realise I would be paying as much for camera equipment, gps, camping gear & detecting extras etc as I had for actual metal detectors lol -

All in the buzz of saving history :)

Edited by user Sunday, 16 March 2014 9:20:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder