New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwisouth  
Posted : Thursday, 13 March 2014 10:38:51 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday folks

I have it from good authority that someone other than me has been checking out the A&P show ground here in Blenheim but they are causing big damage to the actual playing fields. One hole has been noted to be about a metre wide in the middle of where one of the soccer fields is laid out. The council has noted that damage to the grounds started shortly after the last A&P show last November and divits in the ground have been found ever since.

I limit my searches to the periphery and to a small areas where the Sunday Farmer's market is held and I will only dig superficial targets, especially in the summer when the ground is rock hard and the grass doesn't grow back.

Time to keep a low profile thanks to some idiot.

Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
trigger  
Posted : Friday, 14 March 2014 12:15:59 PM(UTC)
trigger

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Well thats great ! Thats the worst place I could think to spend time detecting. Since being back have been nailing the old coins 5 silvers in one week oldest 1908 . And a few war relics so much area untouched its great
kiwisouth  
Posted : Thursday, 29 May 2014 11:08:57 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Yay, finally got my permission to hunt on a property. Old church site with surrounding fields. I'll let you know how I get on. Can hardly wait to try my XP Deus on it.
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 30 May 2014 10:00:54 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
I started out on a bulldozed church site. It was used over the years for scouts, fairs and market days.
One of the land owners said " i don't think you'll find much here!" ,ha, i had already found over 300 coins with some of awesome vintage!
If you can locate where the front door was , would be good start as coins tend to drop around there.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Davrown  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 11:03:01 AM(UTC)
Davrown

Man
New Zealand

Hi Kiwi South.

This is my first post. I am relatively new to the metal detecting hobby and would like to meet up with you and others in the Blenheim area sometime after I return from Australia near the end of October. I have a Minelab Musketeer Advantage and an X-Terra 705 Dual, plus a Garrett pinpointer and Leshe tools etc.

The damage at the AMP show grounds as mentioned in your post is probably one of the reasons that the MDC refused my recent request for detecting in local parks and reserves, despite the fact that I submitted my extensive code of ethics. It was refused because of past discrepancies. The reply stipulated 'no metal detecting was allowed in any reserves or parks in the Marlborough District. So I am restricted to the beach or practicing in my back yard.

I am currently in Melbourne and have visited the Miners Den here and chatted with Dave the owner from Bendigo and Dave the local shop manager and another Dave who was purchasing one of the new detectors during one of my visits. Its only 5-minutes away from my Daughters, so I have been in a few times to gather information. Off to Canberra today, then back to Melbourne later in October.

Cheers, Dave
Erickd  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 12:01:03 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Davrown Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kiwi South.

This is my first post. I am relatively new to the metal detecting hobby and would like to meet up with you and others in the Blenheim area sometime after I return from Australia near the end of October. I have a Minelab Musketeer Advantage and an X-Terra 705 Dual, plus a Garrett pinpointer and Leshe tools etc.

The damage at the AMP show grounds as mentioned in your post is probably one of the reasons that the MDC refused my recent request for detecting in local parks and reserves, despite the fact that I submitted my extensive code of ethics. It was refused because of past discrepancies. The reply stipulated 'no metal detecting was allowed in any reserves or parks in the Marlborough District. So I am restricted to the beach or practicing in my back yard.

I am currently in Melbourne and have visited the Miners Den here and chatted with Dave the owner from Bendigo and Dave the local shop manager and another Dave who was purchasing one of the new detectors during one of my visits. Its only 5-minutes away from my Daughters, so I have been in a few times to gather information. Off to Canberra today, then back to Melbourne later in October.

Cheers, Dave

That sucks about MDC not letting you detect in the parks and I bet its because of the useless twats who leave a mess, mind you I bet if you ask any council they would probably say the same thing as in their minds they would imagine a huge influx of metal detectorists and lots of holes lol.
I asked for permission to do the leeston showgrounds and they said no because of health & Safety, not sure how true that is.
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 2:20:56 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Erickd Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kiwi South.

Cheers, Dave

That sucks about MDC not letting you detect in the parks and I bet its because of the useless twats who leave a mess, mind you I bet if you ask any council they would probably say the same thing as in their minds they would imagine a huge influx of metal detectorists and lots of holes lol.
I asked for permission to do the leeston showgrounds and they said no because of health & Safety, not sure how true that is.

This banning or not letting you MD could backfire on them, lets say a whole city gets banned, you are going to get those who go out and do it in secret and to top it off you will get those who do it for the added thrill that something is illegal and they might be caught. This is similar to how tagging works. to save time no one would probably fill in holes and it will just escalate from there.
Erickd  
Posted : Monday, 29 September 2014 3:10:35 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Originally Posted by: c4bb0ose Go to Quoted Post

I was night detecting in a park a few months back and was approached by the police as someone saw me from a house across the road, they didn't care less and in fact really interested on what I had found, showed them how I cover my holes etc.

Originally Posted by: Erickd Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kiwi South.

Cheers, Dave

This banning or not letting you MD could backfire on them, lets say a whole city gets banned, you are going to get those who go out and do it in secret and to top it off you will get those who do it for the added thrill that something is illegal and they might be caught. This is similar to how tagging works. to save time no one would probably fill in holes and it will just escalate from there.

Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
kiwisouth  
Posted : Thursday, 2 October 2014 9:21:20 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Gidday Dave

I think one of the guys had problems with his Council down south as well.. I am a bit miffed about our Council being so negative but I know some of them through my work and they are very protective of the public assets. I think the big patch of dug up football field at the A&P park was the last straw, might have been the only straw too.

I have always tried to dig where the ground is reasonably soft and the chance of die back is remote and I generally cut a slice in the ground, widen it a bit then dig down. Once target retrieved, replace dirt and bring edges back together again. Other times, I cut 3 sides and flip back. Some ground gets a bit too crumbly and you leave a mess what ever you do.

I am lucky enough to have permission to hunt two spots, one is the church site and the other is out Pine Valley way. There used to be a flax mill out there so the farm owner told me, just need to remember which big tree he reckoned it was near. Whites Bay should be clean as far as bottle tops go. My Deus is fabulous at finding them. Just doing my duty.

Creamer me old mate, the church property I hunt, they moved the old church down the back of the property and built a horrible looking concrete replacement on top of the old foundations. Just imagine what could be lying beneath. I found a few coins in the front but mostly down the back. The old church was built in 1875 and I found a penny that was dated 1876 so that was neat. I would be very happy to find more coins. The sheep are used to me now.

Happy to have you on the patch Dave. Send me a message some time and I'll give you my contact details. That goes for anyone actually.

Happy hunting, small holes, lots of finds but please leave some to me.

David

Yes another one
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 3 October 2014 8:10:59 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Gday Kiwisouth. 1876 is a top date. Best i found at my old church site was an 1881 French silver 50 cent in mint condition, was totally stoked. They are pegging out the site for a new one so im pondering as to whether i should give it a last swipe.

Hi all.
Good to hear that common sence prevails amongst most of us. I guess its a real shame to be banned from your local park as this leaves a lot of us with not much else to go to depending on where you are.
Myself i prefer the beaches and the diggin's easier on the ol knees. In saying that i do have the luxury of many beaches up here where as a lot of of m d'ers don't.
It's impressive how some of you go out of your way to get permission first as this is sometimes not an easy task.
Good luck out there everyone.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz