New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Foiled again  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 March 2014 3:00:52 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Got this Sunday and Monday off so thinking of throwing the sluice, pan, tent and dog into the car and heading west. Just after a few tips/advice if anyone's feeling generous!
Wanna go somewhere with enough flow for the sluicebox-probably rules out Shamrock(been there), Nelson Creek prolly not enough flow, Slab hut will be ok (been there) but looking for somewhere different, so have come up with Stony/Britannia.
Anyone who's been there care to share whats its been like?? Any useful info before I wildly drive off with dreams of big GOLD (as usual hehe)?
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
crushit  
Posted : Friday, 21 March 2014 6:54:08 PM(UTC)
crushit

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I go to Brittania creek regularly. Plenty of flow for your sluice box no worries there. Gold is usually small but the odd bit chunky.According to the official map the rec area starts downstream from the doc sign and small gold can always be had around here. You can see where people have been digging. I have been right to the headwaters of brittania creek and the creek gets progressively rougher as you go upstream. There is a restored stamping battery up a track on the south side of brittania creek about one and a half hours walk from the carpark. Havent had much luck panning up there but im no expert. Stony creek is quite rough and there were quartz workings up there somewhere around the 600meter contour but I haven't seen them although I did see remnants of an aerial bucketline in acouple of places. Never got to follow it up. Hpe this is some help.
Foiled again  
Posted : Saturday, 22 March 2014 8:44:27 AM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Cheers crushit sounds like its worth the extra travel on from the likes of slab hut. Might even make the trek up and check out the battery! Thanks dude!
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 22 March 2014 11:59:37 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi foiled again
im working in the area at present so may call in and site you what are you driving? got some traps up the creek so don't put your finger in them
pm me and ill see if im free for a walk
keith