New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gumboot  
Posted : Thursday, 23 June 2011 8:58:56 PM(UTC)
gumboot

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and any help would be appreciated. I want to make my own sluice box and I can get 1.6mm thick aluminium sheet for a reasonable price, would 1.6mm be thick enough? I noticed that most sluice boxes from the shops/trademe etc are 2mm thick. For the riffles I'm thinking of using 25mm x 25mm x 2mm angled (L) aluminium for a 'Hungarian style' riffles, would that be OK?

Any help or advice would be welcome. On a side note, come on the mighty All Blacks

GO THE MIGHTY ALL BLACKS
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 4:45:43 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I guess it doesnt really matter - I have been looking for gold for years and never buy from commerical outlets - a bit like hunting and fishing - if they wear all the mod cons and fancy crap then the chances are they are new at the game...or is it that I was brought up in the post war era when we wore what we had and what was suitable and we made do? What ever the answer is I have had a great deal of success with everyone elses caste offs and my own gear which I made or had made - my current sluice box always amazes me as it traps gold just dandy and it would be too narrow if I was designing one but it was made with what I got free and still works perfectly. It is too narrow because it is made from a mainframe computer housing! A freebie - there for the taking.
If you can get your aluminium free then go for it but if you have to pay then trot around scrap metal yards and go to sheetmetal workers and get a part sheet thats a bit thicker. Be friendly, explain that your on the bones of your arse and searching around for such and such a size of material - you might be surprised at what you get. If you are lucky you might get a good off cut from a boat being built from some upstart rich guy and he is the one who subsidises you - but doesnt know it!
As for base material - I just used to use old coir (Sp) matting from front porches and it is every bit as good as any commercial stuff regardless of what others might think. Riffles I have made out of whatever is on hand. For a pattern theres no ideal as it really depends on where you want to work, a shallow small trickle or a might flow! If a really small trickle it can be of advantage to give the top end a funnel shape so that the water that goes in the entrance is twice what goes down the body of the box.
The best ideas you can get are by looking at photos of ones on this forum and more or less duplicating them.
I have an off cut from the guttering of my new extension - its lying in the garden and I keep looking at it. It is 1mm stainless steel and a metre long - I have decided to make it into a twelve inch wide riffle box with four inch sides - Is that the ideal size - maybe not BUT its what I have got on hand - a FREEBIE...and I can guarantee it will work just fine. Economize and the end result wuill still work well. Just because something cost heaps doesnt mean it works best.
The aluminium for your riffles might be too thin for the height of them and they may get battered about pretty quickly so look at photos of what others have got. I generally use riffles only half that height and less and I dont lose gold.
Hope my long winded political party propoganda broadcast answer to your simple question is of some help...if not ignore and delete!

Edited by user Friday, 24 June 2011 5:32:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 5:31:42 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Gidday Gumboot. Depending on your make-up, part of the reward of this pastime, hobby, obsession, or whatever you wish to call it, is the making of your own gear and having that gear work successfully. Your first sluicebox won't be your last. Aluminum is the way to go. Size is always a point of debate and one place where bigger is not necessarily better. The DOC restriction on public fossicking areas of 1m x 25cm I think, is a good place to start. Most times you will need to carry your gravel to the sluicebox. If your sluice fits into a 10litre bucket, it makes cleaning up easier and it is also easier to carry your gear, more so if you make your sluice in two pieces that fit inside each other and bolt together. Make it, try it, change it, work out ways to improve it. It's only a hobby. Gives you something to do when you're not on the river.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 5:43:09 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Also 1 thing to keep in mind is how big the riffle,s will be...the smaller they are the less water flow required to make them work.
gumboot  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 7:09:11 AM(UTC)
gumboot

Man

Thanks for the replies Lammerlaw, gii109 and gingerbreadman. I like your style Lammerlaw and I agree I'm and similar to gii109, it's a hobby afterall and similar to you guys I'm a number 8 wire type of guy. I trap possums during the winter months and while I'm in the bush I thought why not use the afternoons trying my hand at prospecting.

Just one other quick question. Apart from the extra weight, would galvanised steel sheets be OK because it seems cheaper than Aluminium?
GO THE MIGHTY ALL BLACKS
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 7:23:21 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
hey there gumboot. Im using galvanised type tin guttering 4 mine. Hammered and cut. Pop riveted together. I used a bit of sealant tho im not sure if that was nessasary. Wood frame base. If you click on LOCATIONS, then HOWARD AREA, you will see piks of some sluice box designs.

Edited by user Friday, 24 June 2011 7:29:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
gumboot  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 7:56:54 AM(UTC)
gumboot

Man

Hey creamer, I saw your pics. Great input, If I use galvanised sheeting I wouldn't be using wood as a frame base because while I'm going to give prospecting a shot I also have to carry 74 possum traps as well into the bush along with food, tent etc etc and the wood/galvanised steel would be too heavy. I was thinking of using just galvanised steel without the wooden frame. I like the ideas from the other guys that replied ie, trying the scrap metal yards and boat shops etc for aluminium.

Without the wooden frame, is the galvanised steel heavy? Is it very portable?
GO THE MIGHTY ALL BLACKS
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 8:14:48 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
The tin on its own is tough but hard to keep straight without a frame. Tin not too heavy. Scrap metal yard a good start. Its not easy to find cheap metal. Expanded metal is gonna cost about $70-80 to order cos i cant find none.

Edited by user Friday, 24 June 2011 8:17:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 9:45:06 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

gumboot wrote:
Thanks for the replies Lammerlaw, gii109 and gingerbreadman. I like your style Lammerlaw and I agree I'm and similar to gii109, it's a hobby afterall and similar to you guys I'm a number 8 wire type of guy. I trap possums during the winter months and while I'm in the bush I thought why not use the afternoons trying my hand at prospecting.

Just one other quick question. Apart from the extra weight, would galvanised steel sheets be OK because it seems cheaper than Aluminium?

Now you have upset me - I give you all these helpful suggestions and you mention Possums - funny thing is that in my day they were Opossums and NOT Possums. When I was in the NZFS they had this neat book on Opossums and it was named just that Opossums - some politically correct scum sucker renamed them to keep it 'right'
Anyway back to the story - I am very worried about the judgement day because when St Peter calls me forward to be judged here sitting as jury to pronounce my fate will be thousands upon thousands of Opossums, (Note I used the letter O) Rabbits, Hares, Ducks, Pigs and other furry criturs and the odd jealous husband or two...and you just had to mention Opossums...I hope you get rained on by two thousand passing seagulls with chronic diarrhoea.

The riffle box I use currently is High tensile steel sheeting and is two mainframe computer housings joined end for end - it is heavier than Aluminium but very strong and just the cats pyjamas. I am also making one out of stainless steel sheeting and it will be wider but lower - about a foot by four inches high and will be used with a greater drop or slope and an aluminium one with Aluminium nearly 1/8th inch thick - the reason for different materials and different dimensions - the material was all freebies and of different dimensions. Look at the ones on here - different dimensions, no hard and fast rule. Dont make the riffles too high though. My main riffle box has riffles only quarter inch but close together. It works a treat and even the finest gold doesnt get too far...once again they were not 1/4 inch due to design but rather the fact that I got little 1/4" by 1/4" pieces of angle iron and thats what I used.
It never has to be fancy - people seem to think that fancy means efficient but not necessarily. One of my photos here shows the most rudimentary riffle box, home made and rough, the same size as my current main frame computer housing one - in the fist top seven riffles I think around eighty ounces, in the two riffles maybe half an ounce then virtually nothing followed by a little bit then nothing more worth mentioning...all in all very efficient considering the top riffles are almost half filled with gold and the riffle box looks nothing like the fancy ones I see illustrated in various forums, magazines and books.

Edited by user Friday, 24 June 2011 11:37:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 24 June 2011 12:52:48 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
gumboot wrote:
I'm a number 8 wire type of guy.

#8 wire types of guys are going to be in big demand in the near future when the global economy (finally) collapses and governments no longer have the revenue to keep feeding and clothing the general population whose only skill is knowing how to change the channel on the tv remote.

Did you see the news article recently on those gas-powered OPOSSUM traps that will kill (IIRC) 8 opossums before needing to be recharged and rebaited? It chops their heads off and they just pile up at the bottom of the trunk and the next victim climbs over the bodies to get at the bait. Sweet.

That would cut down on the number of traps you needed to carry (more space for prospecting equipment) and cut down the time spent collecting the bodies and re-setting the traps, giving you more panning/sluicing time.

gumboot  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2011 4:01:48 AM(UTC)
gumboot

Man

@Lammerlaw, I thought it was just the yanks that said Opossum compared to us heavenly creature kiwis that say possum, as far as I remember my grandfather called them possums to. The Opossum in America looks totally different to our/Ozzy brush tail. When you mention St Peter on Judgement day...are you talking about Winston Peters? By the way, what's your address? I need it to send my homing pigeons, they seem to have a bout of chronic diarrhoea. But on a serious note, thanks for your helpful advice.

@oroplata, I've seen the instant kill traps you're talking about but I use Dukes traps because instead of skinning possums (Oppossums) I pluck them for the fur and I need them to be still warm after I've killed them (bang on the head) to pluck more easily. The traps you're talking about would kill them and by the time I went to pluck them the next day would be to hard. Averagely $100 per kilo for fur approx 20 decent size winter possums per kilo of fur. Cheers for your reply, Are you in Mexico?
GO THE MIGHTY ALL BLACKS
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2011 5:16:40 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Mr Gumboot
You are quite correct in the comparison US/Australia in relationship to the Opossum but back in my day for some obscure reason they got off to a start with the name Opossum - Every book without fail called them Opossum - Exotic Intruders by Joan Druett for example. The NZFS booklet The Opposum in New Zealand, plus all the other books of the time

I just remembered that I have many Kgs of Opposum fur out in the shed - probably weavil riddled by now. I also collect old rabbit traps which I used to use in Opposum trapping - Hmmm - memories!
gumboot  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2011 6:03:11 AM(UTC)
gumboot

Man

@ Lammerlaw, I'm 41 and I grew up in the era of the Forestry Service before DOC buggered it up similar to the do good-er greens and the knitting brigade. I love the bush, hunting etc etc but in hindsight I wish I was prospecting then so I'm a little slow on the uptake, when God was handing out brains I thought he said trains so I asked for a slow one. I've still got a few gin traps lying around but they're illegal even if I turn the serrated jaws around for straight jaws, PC gone mad with Sue Bradford and John Minto on the helm.

My brother in-law has an old fridge he's throwing out so I'll probably cut it up and use the steel panels from it for my sluice. I 100% agree with you that using what's at hand with a bit of tinkering should do the trick.
GO THE MIGHTY ALL BLACKS
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2011 7:11:08 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

gumboot wrote:
@ Lammerlaw, I'm 41 and I grew up in the era of the Forestry Service before DOC buggered it up similar to the do good-er greens and the knitting brigade. I love the bush, hunting etc etc but in hindsight I wish I was prospecting then so I'm a little slow on the uptake, when God was handing out brains I thought he said trains so I asked for a slow one. I've still got a few gin traps lying around but they're illegal even if I turn the serrated jaws around for straight jaws, PC gone mad with Sue Bradford and John Minto on the helm.

My brother in-law has an old fridge he's throwing out so I'll probably cut it up and use the steel panels from it for my sluice. I 100% agree with you that using what's at hand with a bit of tinkering should do the trick.

I loved the job with NZFS and went to the Forest Ranger school for a while but eventually left - wanted to join the army but mum and grandmother talked me out of it - something to do with several Great Uncles getting one way rides to Purgatory.
Oh so you cant use rabbit traps...no one has told me that...they still havent. Funny country this - they have no idea these halfwitted twerps who want to protect all the animals and the trees and environment as well - they want to have their cake and eat it and as long as they get their own way they are happy.

I have a great rabbit trap here - its an Australian one - just like an ordinary NZ one except one jaw is plain and the other has wicked, nasty little teeth like a hair comb.

Your 41 - shit oh dear your a baby! You were born in modern times after the politically correct dum dums had taken over - I was at school in the era when we did military training...my greatest moment of heroic glory was lying in ambush in the bush of the Dunedin town belt waiting to ambush the enemy (rival platoon) and when I heard footsteps beside the flax bush I was hiding behind leaping out yelling "Money or life" - only to find out that I had the machine gun (a real one) pointed right between the eyes of a little old lady who promptly looked cross eyed down the barrel and dropped her groceries. If you did that today the poor school pupil would be salivated by the armed offenders, the head master would be fired, the army commander likewise fired and it would make National news. Somehow I am glad I experienced the era I did live in...now whats all that got to do with gold...back to the subject.