New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwisouth  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2011 9:07:46 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Finally found the pics of a basic crevice sucker, thanks to one of the guys in the Te Tahi Detector Club

kiwisouth attached the following image(s):
Ball Piston.JPG
Full pump set.JPG
Inspection hole.JPG
Suction end detail.JPG
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
clarky  
Posted : Sunday, 3 July 2011 2:38:55 AM(UTC)
clarky

Man

We,re clever buggers us Kiwis aren,t we!!
Talk about give us a piece of number 8 wire and we can fix anything. Looks like it would shift a lot of material in a short time, just brilliant.

Clarky
x-terra steve  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 July 2011 10:55:54 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi Kiwisouth,
you might want to replace the small square washer with a large oversized washer, otherwise you might find the existing washer will pull up inside the tennis ball in no time and no suckie!!
Steve
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 July 2011 11:08:48 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Can anyone enlighten me as to the purpose of the cut out section in the sucker with the orange pipe?
mem  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 5:44:27 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Its just a coupler used sideways with holes cut through the sides so the orange bit goes through it.
Mem
kiwisouth  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 11:22:51 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Water gets pumped out the hole in the side hopefully leaving the gold bearing material in the base. If I can find the original email, it has a great discription how it is built and how to use it.

Dave
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 6:51:39 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Mem, I meant the hole in the side of the pipe near the top.

Dave, yes, the original reason would be helpful. I can't see why you would have a hole on the side so close to the top, If the orange pipe extended a few inches up into the body of the sucker, the gravel would remain in the sucker anyway.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 7:32:02 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Hmmm - interesting - for once I am lost for words!
Eagle  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 8:46:00 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
Mem, I meant the hole in the side of the pipe near the top.

Dave, yes, the original reason would be helpful. I can't see why you would have a hole on the side so close to the top, If the orange pipe extended a few inches up into the body of the sucker, the gravel would remain in the sucker anyway.

Gidday gjji

If it was a sealed unit it would be very hard to get some suction going,it releases air if you are using it above the water line.
If you are using it underwater sniping, it fills with water so it can stay with you on the bottom underwater without floating away providing the current is not to strong.
If you are in a heavy current or fast flow then a couple of rocks on top hold it in place just fine which means you dont have to empty it every time you find colour,very usefull for saving time & energy especially if you are working an area loaded with the good stuff.
You must remember that you might be midstream in fast current & your recovery bucket might be positioned meters & meters away from where you are recovering your gold.
While sniping the hole also allows the release of water inside above the seal (in this case a tennis ball)on each suck & creats a better draw.

You must not draw the tennis ball or what ever you are using as your seal inside your tube higher than this hole other wise you run the risk of losing gold

Eagle
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 9:20:38 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

hey Eagle,

That is a well constructed and thought out reply. It would have merit if the top of the tube was closed, but I am assuming it is open, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the tennis ball inside. Therefore it is not a sealed unit and the hole on the side seems superfluous. In the close up photo, there are two very small holes near the rim. I wonder if there is a cap that fits in the end. If so, I can't see the purpose of it.

Dave, keep searching.

Lammerlaw, Great Post, but I find it hard to believe..
Richie  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 9:35:08 PM(UTC)
Richie

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwisouth Go to Quoted Post
Finally found the pics of a basic crevice sucker, thanks to one of the guys in the Te Tahi Detector Club

Hi David awesome design would be keen to see in action, I've made a suction pump using a tennis ball also, the problem I encountered was the nut would come loose, I now use a nylock nut which works awesome having already broken in with fine gold in the pan......

Rich
Eagle  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 July 2011 9:35:35 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Well spotted gjj...I agree with you, they must ram that ball down through the top which would make the hole on the side a waste of time in my eyes.

I use crevice suckers with a glued & sealed top end.They must have a air hole at the top to make them work properly.

Eagle
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 8 July 2011 1:04:32 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
This is my version built using 40mm PVC pipe with a socket joint end as the nosey parker retention chamber that slips on & off the end when needed.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I use 8mm rod for the plunger shaft that I tap a thread onto the end for the seal washers & lock nut to thread onto. I weld another short length on the handle end to form a "T" handle to pull on. Drill out two wooden end plugs that are a friction fit & screwed to hold in place, one for the end cap at the handle end & one at the front end of the nosey parker retention chamber that I then fit a length of half inch copper pipe up into. I drill an 8mm breather hole at the handle end just below the wooden plug.

The main pump body can be used by itself to suck up material as big as almost 40mm & dumped directly into pan or bucket.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Happy hunting

JW :)

gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 8 July 2011 1:42:28 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Hi JW. Any ideas why the hole is in the side of the sucker body in the original photos??
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 8 July 2011 1:56:30 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
Hmmm - interesting - for once I am lost for words!

Lammer, we have never known you to be lost for words. Spit it out man. What are you trying to say?

Dave
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 8 July 2011 2:03:31 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
Hi JW. Any ideas why the hole is in the side of the sucker body in the original photos??

Hi I've explained the big opening at the top of the tube. The two litle ones are of no significance. They were there in the pipe already