New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Historynerd  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 3:11:44 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi guys, I've been really eager to start metal detecting and was wondering if there are any clubs in the Auckland area? I'm yet to buy a metal detector so any recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Stretchman  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 3:25:58 PM(UTC)
Stretchman

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
What type of detecting are you interested in? Beach or land? This will determine what detector would be best suited for you. Budget is of course a factor as well.
I know there are clubs around Auckland but I am not involved in any. I'm sure other forum members will help with that.

Edited by user Sunday, 25 May 2014 3:27:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whites Dual Field

Rings 2014-- Gold =19 Silver =21Titanium =1 Junk 11 Pieces of sh#t = 12,328
Historynerd  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 3:32:06 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Stretchman Go to Quoted Post
What type of detecting are you interested in? Beach or land? This will determine what detector would be best suited for you. Budget is of course a factor as well.
I know there are clubs around Auckland but I am not involved in any. I'm sure other forum members will help with that.

I would probably do both, but mainly land. I'm a bit of a history nerd and love pretty much anything that has some sort of historical significance, very interested in coins too. I come from England and sadly never had the chance to start detecting there, really regret it :/

Edited by user Sunday, 25 May 2014 3:33:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 10:12:34 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday Historynerd

Afraid to tell you but the Te Tahi Detector Club folded THIS month. It has been around about 20 years but they held their final Club Meeting at the beginning of May. As usual, it is always the same people doing the busy committee jobs and the sitting ones thought it was time for them to try and pass the mantle on to someone else, but, no one put their hand up.

I am going to miss the two-monthly newsletter and great stories and pics. There will still be a lot of people from the Club about but they won't be identified as Club members anymore. Shame

Lots of interesting places in Auckland, even the supposed hunted out spots were still producing.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
Historynerd  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 10:34:59 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: kiwisouth Go to Quoted Post
Gidday Historynerd

Afraid to tell you but the Te Tahi Detector Club folded THIS month. It has been around about 20 years but they held their final Club Meeting at the beginning of May. As usual, it is always the same people doing the busy committee jobs and the sitting ones thought it was time for them to try and pass the mantle on to someone else, but, no one put their hand up.

I am going to miss the two-monthly newsletter and great stories and pics. There will still be a lot of people from the Club about but they won't be identified as Club members anymore. Shame

Lots of interesting places in Auckland, even the supposed hunted out spots were still producing.

Aw such a shame it closed up after 20 years. Was that the only club in Auckland?
nz detector  
Posted : Monday, 26 May 2014 3:09:43 PM(UTC)
nz detector

Man
Germany

Hi Historynerd,
was looking for the same thing..... but i thought there is no one around anymore.
Should do our own club in Auckland.
If you want, my x terra 305 will be up for sell shortly, get my xp deus soon.
Still unter warranty comes with the 9" 7.5kHz standart coil and the 6"DD 18.75kHz coil, weather proof cover, KOSS 30 Headphone plus japanese DigginTool. nice set.

Edited by user Monday, 26 May 2014 3:12:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 May 2014 9:00:34 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwisouth Go to Quoted Post
Gidday Historynerd

Shame to hear that. 20 years is a good innings.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Historynerd  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 May 2014 1:23:57 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: nz detector Go to Quoted Post
Hi Historynerd,
was looking for the same thing..... but i thought there is no one around anymore.
Should do our own club in Auckland.
If you want, my x terra 305 will be up for sell shortly, get my xp deus soon.
Still unter warranty comes with the 9" 7.5kHz standart coil and the 6"DD 18.75kHz coil, weather proof cover, KOSS 30 Headphone plus japanese DigginTool. nice set.

Thanks, I'll look into it. Can you send me a message when you have it up for sale? And yeah I'd love to see a new club come to life, I'm sure with enough effort it would get enough members :)

Edited by user Tuesday, 27 May 2014 1:25:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 29 May 2014 3:41:10 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Welcome to the world of discovery Historynerd -

I managed to become addicted to this hobby a little over two years ago & love it - I could recommend a swag on good metal detectors to suit your needs, however it comes down to personal preference -

If I was starting out all over again & looking to purchase a unit for coins & relics I would look at something like the Eurotek Pro / Tekenetics Delta 4000 - Both highly rated coin machines with some features more expensive dont have - They are great machines and will make a fantastic backup if you ever upgrade -

Now they key to why I recommend those two machines is in fact the coils - They are 'greek series' coils that are compatible with MANY other machines so f you purchase more coils whilst owning your first machine, they can be used on your upgraded unit at a later date -

i.e. Teknetics Alpha - Delta - Gamma - Omega - G2 & Fisher F5 - Gold Bug use the same coils

Hope this helps and goodluck with your purchase & welcome to our world 'down under' lol
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Historynerd  
Posted : Thursday, 29 May 2014 4:44:04 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: sycotoad Go to Quoted Post
Welcome to the world of discovery Historynerd -

I managed to become addicted to this hobby a little over two years ago & love it - I could recommend a swag on good metal detectors to suit your needs, however it comes down to personal preference -

If I was starting out all over again & looking to purchase a unit for coins & relics I would look at something like the Eurotek Pro / Tekenetics Delta 4000 - Both highly rated coin machines with some features more expensive dont have - They are great machines and will make a fantastic backup if you ever upgrade -

Now they key to why I recommend those two machines is in fact the coils - They are 'greek series' coils that are compatible with MANY other machines so f you purchase more coils whilst owning your first machine, they can be used on your upgraded unit at a later date -

i.e. Teknetics Alpha - Delta - Gamma - Omega - G2 & Fisher F5 - Gold Bug use the same coils

Hope this helps and goodluck with your purchase & welcome to our world 'down under' lol

Thanks, I'll look into those detectors. Been looking at the Ace 250 too, anyone own one of them?

JSparrow  
Posted : Thursday, 29 May 2014 10:39:40 PM(UTC)
JSparrow

New Zealand

Hi Historynerd, and everyone else. This is my first post and I'm on my very first metal detector (Garrett Ace 250). I've only done around 30 hours of metal detecting with it and at least 5 times that amount of research. The latter told me it was a fantastic beginner machine and even better when you grew into it (learnt how to metal detect). To date, I've done 2 hours of beach detecting. This included 30 minutes on wet sand (with nothing but a few bits of junk and a lot of false signals) and found $15 of spendable money (and junk) in dry sand. I have done plenty of adjusting to the discrimination and sensitivity, as I've seen online, and to what was working at the time. Inland is where I've done the rest of my metal detecting. I have found it a lot easier for inland use and have found a 1900 silver shilling and a few nice pennies (1903 being the oldest). In my very limited opinion it's a great metal detector to see if you enjoy it as a hobby and it has great potential. I'm sure the more I do the better I'll get with it, but I already want to upgrade. Overall, one silver, three bronze and a big bucket of junk. Cannot express enough that I am very much an amateur and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Thursday, 29 May 2014 11:07:13 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday folks

Phil from the now "Former Te Tahi Club" rang me tonight to ask me to tell folks that the Club has now folded and they are going through the process of winding up the financial side. he put me right too. The Club has been going for 30 years. Seems he has had a couple of inquiries lately about the club.

You don't have to have a club, just a few friends who get together and share a hobby. Informal is good. Of course, if someone wants to start a club like the Te Tahi Club, with a committee etc, then you might find that there are still some folks in Auckland who might be keen on joining a new group.

Good hunting folks and welcome to the group JSparrow.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 30 May 2014 9:24:04 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JSparrow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Historynerd, and everyone else. This is my first post and I'm on my very first metal detector (Garrett Ace 250). I've only done around 30 hours of metal detecting with it and at least 5 times that amount of research. The latter told me it was a fantastic beginner machine and even better when you grew into it (learnt how to metal detect). To date, I've done 2 hours of beach detecting. This included 30 minutes on wet sand (with nothing but a few bits of junk and a lot of false signals) and found $15 of spendable money (and junk) in dry sand. I have done plenty of adjusting to the discrimination and sensitivity, as I've seen online, and to what was working at the time. Inland is where I've done the rest of my metal detecting. I have found it a lot easier for inland use and have found a 1900 silver shilling and a few nice pennies (1903 being the oldest). In my very limited opinion it's a great metal detector to see if you enjoy it as a hobby and it has great potential. I'm sure the more I do the better I'll get with it, but I already want to upgrade. Overall, one silver, three bronze and a big bucket of junk. Cannot express enough that I am very much an amateur and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there Sparrow. The Ace 250 is a great machine. I use the 350 which has greater depth and is better for the beaches with it's larger coil. I always hunt in all metal mode with the sensitivity down sometimes. I don't use discrimination in fear of missing a good target as some targets could show up anywhere on the screen, especially in the low foil range.
Good luck out there.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 30 May 2014 10:45:16 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JSparrow Go to Quoted Post

Hi Sparrow,

Like you I started with an Ace 250 and after about 2 months upgraded to an E Trac. Never regretted either as the Ace was a great entry level machine to get some basic skills. The E Trac opened up a whole new ball game for my detecting fun and it still surprises and impresses me nearly 4 years later.
Glad your enjoying this great hobby and congratulations on the Silver.

HH
MK
Historynerd  
Posted : Friday, 30 May 2014 10:20:20 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

I'm thinking of getting the Ace 250 once I get the money, but it seems a little pricey at $480 (on TradeMe). Does anyone know anywhere else that sells them?
JSparrow  
Posted : Saturday, 31 May 2014 1:31:08 AM(UTC)
JSparrow

New Zealand

Thanks creamer and metal kiwi. I really appreciate all the advice and feel very welcomed into the hobby and forum. I'm hopeful that you experienced detectorists will be able to help point me on the right track. Historynerd, I brought my Ace 250 from Fishpond for $387, shipped from America (took approx. 3 weeks to arrive).
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 31 May 2014 3:14:40 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Historynerd Go to Quoted Post
I'm thinking of getting the Ace 250 once I get the money, but it seems a little pricey at $480 (on TradeMe). Does anyone know anywhere else that sells them?

Honestly if the Ace 250's are going for $480 here, your better off getting a Fisher F2 from Rob the local Fisher dealer for $350 & put the extra $130 into a pin pointer or digger

I cant see why an Ace 250 is $130 dearer than an F2 anyways ........it should be the other way around lol

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 1 June 2014 12:39:37 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Hi and welcome to the forum.

As I've had an Ace 250 and also used the F2... a short rhyme comes to mind Ahemmm... Let the other fellow have the yellow, the F2 is best for you!

For the price, in my opinion the F2 is without a shadow of a doubt a better machine. Granted both are great machines but for the price of the Ace 250 you might aswell spend a little more and get the Fisher F4 and have adjustable ground balance.... but if you want to go entry the F2 really is the best choice.

The F2 has the Numerical target ID and doesn't sound like a jumpy door bell.

Sycotoad is leading you in the right direction.

Historynerd  
Posted : Sunday, 1 June 2014 4:01:18 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

Thanks guys, I'll look into getting the F2 as well then. :)
Historynerd  
Posted : Sunday, 1 June 2014 6:17:56 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

I actually just found a good deal on Amazon for the Fisher F2. It's either $250 + a pin-pointer or $235 for just the metal detector. Both with free Amazon Prime shipping.

Do you guys think it's worth getting it with the Fisher pin pointer for the extra $15? (It costs $60 for the pinpointer by itself) or should I just save that money and get the garrett pro pointer for $150 (also free shipping)?
2 Pages12>