New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

brownienz  
Posted : Monday, 26 May 2014 9:54:34 AM(UTC)
brownienz

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Greeting All!

Looking at getting started into Gold detecting so wanting some advice on where to start!
As it will just be a hobby I cannot justify spending a lot of money on equipment so what would be the recommendations on starting equipment?

Would be looking at detecting on the way to fossicking areas and also in creeks etc.

Also are there any beginners guides that you could point me in the direction of?

Bit of a newbie so any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
simon  
Posted : Monday, 26 May 2014 10:49:17 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
To detect for gold you're going to need a decent detector mate. at least a gold bug pro. even second hand you'll prob need around $750 just for a detector. not too many tools you need apart from a pick that will cost much but petrol money will be the main one.
you really need to put some time in when you start out to get the feel of it. if you know someone to teach you would be the best bet.
brownienz  
Posted : Monday, 26 May 2014 11:32:01 AM(UTC)
brownienz

New Zealand

overdog  
Posted : Monday, 26 May 2014 6:27:37 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
God no mate-stay away from Chinese cheapo detectors! Stick with the known brands-Simon's advice is spot on.

Decent units come up on tm now and again,might be worth a squint at ebay as well or on of the big online detector shops in the states or Oz.

sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 15 June 2014 11:57:40 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Cant be much wrong with the "Chinese cheapo detectors!" as that's where the well known brands get theirs made - lol

Seriously, buy the right tool for the job at a price your happy with - This Chinese bashing is hilarious as h3ll - You guys do realize that most western corporate manufacturing is now produced in Asian countries and your favorite label clothing is made in a sweatshop in Indonesia - YET its got to be the best cos its gots a well known name on it b .....

Yep, you guys make me piss myself at times, however it probably more my age that's doing that lol

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 16 June 2014 6:47:29 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sycotoad Go to Quoted Post
Cant be much wrong with the "Chinese cheapo detectors!" as that's where the well known brands get theirs made - lol

Seriously, buy the right tool for the job at a price your happy with - This Chinese bashing is hilarious as h3ll - You guys do realize that most western corporate manufacturing is now produced in Asian countries and your favorite label clothing is made in a sweatshop in Indonesia - YET its got to be the best cos its gots a well known name on it b .....

Yep, you guys make me piss myself at times, however it probably more my age that's doing that lol

So sycotoad......what would you trust your hard earned $$$$$$ on. A genuine Minelab GPX 5000 or a fake chinese counterfit rip of copy that you would probably have no idea which one was which if they were both plonked down in front of you? I think we all know that a lot of chinese made stuff is total crap. They are masters of making things look the part.....& that is about as far as it goes.....until it ends up in the bin.

JW :)

Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 16 June 2014 11:08:30 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Maybe this is another way to look at it

If it's true that many copies have about 80% function of the original and that doesn't always mean 80% detection depth but can also mean cut down software so may be missing menus/settings. That option could still be a better choice over an unknown off TradeMe.
So if a machine was an obvious clone and not a straight out fake trying to pull the wool over your eyes it could have some potential.
Something to ponder.

If you buy from ebay you might just end up with a copy so really if you want the real deal buy from one of the NZ dealers, both the Fisher & Minelab dealers are active members of the forum.

I think it's pretty safe to say the most popular machine for price/performance would be the Fisher Goldbug a great machine.

sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 2:39:21 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post

So sycotoad......what would you trust your hard earned $$$$$$ on. A genuine Minelab GPX 5000 or a fake chinese counterfit rip of copy that you would probably have no idea which one was which if they were both plonked down in front of you? I think we all know that a lot of chinese made stuff is total crap. They are masters of making things look the part.....& that is about as far as it goes.....until it ends up in the bin.

Firstly there is a huge difference between "Chinese cheapo detectors" & "a fake chinese counterfit rip of copy"

The latter I DO NOT agree with, however I tend to like the "Chinese cheapo detectors" a lot, as they manufacture the worlds top selling metal detectors for First Texas in the USA, so its obvious where the clever buggers are putting their money -

BTW How many Chinese metal detectors have you owned and how many of those did you have to throw out?

Edited by user Tuesday, 17 June 2014 2:51:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldtimer  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 10:49:21 AM(UTC)
goldtimer

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I have never heard of anybody having any kind of success gold prospecting with a chinese knock-off detector.
It's hard enough to find gold with a good detector.
NUGGY  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 2:47:23 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Gold detecting has to be the most difficult type of detecting to do successfully. The gold pieces are small, in very mineralised ground usually, and some good, practiced detectorists have been over and over most of the known ground that is suitable for over 20 years. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's pretty damn hard, and you will need a reliable detector and some good prospecting knowledge, and anything else you can get to give you some kind of an edge. Going at it with a budget detector is just going to be another factor working against you.
It's far from being totally about the detector though. I have known of a few guys who have bought the expensive Minelabs and still not been able to find much if any gold. So it's not just the detector but all the skills of using it, the knowledge of where to look and how. I would back a skilled gold detectorist with an older, but still good quality detector going up against a newbie with a GPX 5000 any day.
I would recommend spending lots of time saving up the money - while, researching gold prospecting, going gold prospecting, researching gold detecting, reading all the forums and watching You Tube videos. Meeting up with some prospectors and gold detectorists and then deciding which detector.
Good luck with it and hope you do well, NUGGY
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 4:19:23 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: goldtimer Go to Quoted Post
I have never heard of anybody having any kind of success gold prospecting with a chinese knock-off detector.

http://goldhunterdetecto...nt/gold-snoop-detectors/

This guys had a lot of success using Chinese metal detectors for prospecting

NUGGY  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 5:13:31 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: goldtimer Go to Quoted Post

http://goldhunterdetecto...nt/gold-snoop-detectors/

Yes I have heard of these, and read about a few nugget finds made with "The Snoop" too. The "guy" is Jack Lange one of the foremost gold detectorists in the world - living legend status in Australia. These detectors are supposedly made to his design, and they will handle bad mineralisation for sure, from what I have read. I have also read that they are not all that good on small gold, which is pretty much all I ever get, so not the answer for me, at least not in NZ. I will stick with the GB Pro.
If you were going to Aussie and wanted to have a bash at detecting the goldfields and beaches without spending big bucks Gold Snoop would probably be a really good choice though. NUGGY
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 7:49:30 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

This is very well said & sums it all up. A must read if you are SERIOUS about finding gold detecting.

http://golddetecting.4um...nd-some-good-gold#182185

Edited by user Tuesday, 17 June 2014 8:00:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 7:50:53 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

quote=sycotoad;35264http://goldhunterdetecto...nt/gold-snoop-detectors/

Yep....I couldnt agree more......I reckon every body interested in finding gold with a metal detector should get a cheap chinese detector or at least a Gold Snoop. Small, nice & light. Easy to back pack in to remote areas. Uses few batteries & easy to use. Why spend thousands of dollars on a machine that has a multitude of buttons & dials & settings. Is so sensitive it will pick up interference from a car driving past or an aeroplane flying over head or the suns solar influence on a clear cloudless day or a lightning strike miles away or the pulse of an electric fence miles away. Too many choices of coils etc. All this will just frustrate you & do your head in & have you wrapping it around the nearest tree. So yer....just stick to the cheap, good value, good quality top notch chinese detectors & clean up all the junk targets & leave all the gold for me. Cheers

sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 11:03:42 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

No worries - Knock yourself out -

sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 June 2014 11:30:59 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
This is very well said & sums it all up. A must read if you are SERIOUS about finding gold detecting.

http://golddetecting.4um...nd-some-good-gold#182185

SERIOUS you say?

This is how serious Jack Lang is -

"Jack has authored numerous articles in Australian Gold Gem and Treasure Magazine, Overlander, 4 X 4 Australia, etc. Jack has produced his famous Nugget Finding Secrets series of DVD’S and well as documentaries and is sought after by many professional prospectors for advice.

Jack is proud to present his variety of metal detectors because their affordable price brings metal detecting within the reach of many who couldn’t afford a good detector before or for those who have become discouraged with detecting because their previous metal detector has given so many false and confusing signals that they just gave up. Many total beginners have phoned or emailed to thank Jack for the Gold Snoop detector because they have found nuggets and jewelry for the first time.

Jack is in constant liaison with the overseas factories to improve performance and quality control. They even requested the worst Australian mineralized soils to use in their Research and Development Dept and quality control Dept. Now who else does that?

Good luck out there!"

How SERIOUS are you?

How many Chinese metal detectors have you used??

Thought so -

kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 June 2014 2:00:09 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there Sycotoad, I have had one pieceofshit chinese detector & yes it DID end up in the BIN. Once you have used a quality more expensive detector you appricate its far better ability in all aspects of detecting. Depth, sensitivity, discrimination ability & accuracy of discrimination. The ability to 99% of the time know what coin or item you have detected before even digging it up plus the depth it is at etc etc. A no brainer.
Sure the Chinese detectors work....just not very well. If being used by a kid on the beach they will find the odd coin & I am sure the kid would be very happy about that but he doesnt know what other goodies he is missing.

How serious is Jack Lang???? I know Jack Lang quite well....so I do know how serious he is. I cut my teeth gold detecting through Jack Lang & his help. Bought a lot of my detecting gear through him, Spoke on the phone to him quite a few times back in those days & I was very involved with his forum on his web site. I am well aware of his history with the gold snoop & his "development" of it. He is also involved with the modding of the older SD minelab detectors to bring them a bit more up to speed with the later GPX models.

How SERIOUS am I?? Serious enough to know what I am talking about. I go out gold detecting every weekend & walk miles through the mountains & hill country of Central Otago all year round. Often after work as well, at night time with head lamp & or full moon as in the last full moon we just had. I have a VERY good understanding of detecting for gold with the Minelab GPX detectors & know how best to apply them to get the fullest ability of preformence out of them for what ever the conditions are, what the gold size may be & how deep the ground is that the gold is in. I have a very good understanding of the more likely places that gold can be....even up on a mountain side miles away from any river or water course.
SERIOUS enough & knowledgeable enough to find gold every time I go out.

This is last weekends result

UserPostedImage

Effort & reward, research & time out in the field. Gold Detecting.... I live & breath it. Just ask my wife. The one thing above all else is that you will never ever catch a SERIOUS gold detectorist EVER using a cheap Chinese "gold" detector. FACT. You can quote all you like about Jack Lang & his gold snoop detector but I bet he would not use it as a choice over the minelab PI detectors. He is just making a few dollars out of offering a cheap entry level detector. I urge you to read that link I put up & you may learn something very vital to the success of those who do find gold detecting.....& why....& it isnt through using a cheap chinese made "gold" detector.
But it is a free world & you can use whatever detector you like...but like I said....If you are SERIOUS about finding gold..........If you are not ...then that is fine, just as long as you are having fun giving it a go. After all...the gold is just a bonus. The real gold is the beautiful places it takes you to. The adventures of getting to those places ....& home again & the best gold is the like minded people you meet on the journey & the friendships you make.

Best of luck out there.

Edited by user Wednesday, 18 June 2014 2:03:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 June 2014 9:38:13 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Look man I totally agree with most of what your saying however I am a firm believer that if someone in the metal detecting industry can offer MORE options for their fellow metal detectorists then its got to be good -

Jack Lang is also a Minelab & Fisher Dealer, so he sells the top end nugget shooters as well as having an option for those entering the hobby for those who wish to try an alternative - In fact the manufacturer of the cheap alternative units are more than happy to work with the end user in improving their equipment - NOT many big brands will let their customers do the same .......

I tend not to rubbish ambassadors of our hobby regardless of what they are using - you just never know what they are up to and I fully respect this man for what he has brought to metal detecting in Australia

Honestly I don't mind any of you buying $5000+ Minelabs etc, but don't expect everyone who starts out to have an endless budget they can throw into a hobby they are not sure about .....

Finally, I personally believe that Jack Lang, although dealing with "cheapo chinese detectors, not only did he put his reputation on the line, but had the vision to work with the Chinese to develop a affordable metal detector that is suitable for anyone staring out in nugget shooting & that's what this thread is about -

Not what metal detector is best for gold prospecting

At least this guy has done a shitload for the hobby and not just sit on a couple of big brands & cry like a baby over big bad China - But hey, each to their own I suppose

Edited by user Wednesday, 18 June 2014 10:07:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified