New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Oliver123  
Posted : Sunday, 15 June 2014 8:02:00 PM(UTC)
Oliver123

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi guys
Ive had my goldbugse for about 6 months but are yet to find a single gold nugget :(
Im planning a trip to Queenstown in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone could put me onto some worthwhile ground were im likely to find something no matter how little? haha
Thanks All
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 15 June 2014 10:22:25 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there, The only places you can really go are the recreational fossicking areas. Outside of these areas most places in the creeks & rivers around the QT area claimed so you would need the claim owners ok to detect on them. As to putting you on to some worth while ground where you are likely to find something.....that depends on what you call worth while ground & I am sure that if there was any worth while ground out there still, it isnt the kind of thing that you should expect to be told. It takes a lot of time in research & out in the field for some one who is dedicated to find any "worth while" ground. So that location, when & if found, is usually a well kept secret. I am sure you can understand that. Even if put on to "worth while ground" there is no certainty that you will find anything.
Having said that though. The best advice I can give you is to go & look where gold has been found before, because no one gets it all. The more remote the better. The shallower the ground the better, like exposed bed rock. Especially if you are using gold bugs. That can be exposed bed rock in or beside the creeks & rivers or from the old timers sluiced workings down to bed rock. Detecting for gold & finding some isnt as easy as you may think, because no matter where you go some one would more than likely have been there before you. Especially in the QT area. No matter where you go just make sure it isnt under claim & if private property, have the land owners permission to be on there. The land owner doesnt have the right to let you take any gold from his land (it belongs to the crown) but if he allows you on his land that is a big step in your favour. Access is becoming more difficult to get.

But there is still gold out there. This was my finds this weekend. Just over 7 grams.

UserPostedImage

Good luck out there

JW :)
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 15 June 2014 11:42:42 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
some good gold there john. you'd have to be happy with that.

a good response also re the good ground.