New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Historynerd  
Posted : Sunday, 22 June 2014 12:02:06 AM(UTC)
Historynerd

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi guys,
Just wanted to know, are the rules for metal detecting in reserves the same as parks? There is a large reserve literally right outside my front door and I wanted to know if I can detect there without having to pester the council with letters.

andy  
Posted : Sunday, 22 June 2014 12:13:48 AM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
iv done reserves before as long as its not listed under historical site act etc i think its ok!same code of ethics as anywhere else applies fill holes take rubbish etc!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Historynerd  
Posted : Sunday, 22 June 2014 12:34:32 AM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: andy Go to Quoted Post
iv done reserves before as long as its not listed under historical site act etc i think its ok!same code of ethics as anywhere else applies fill holes take rubbish etc!

Okay thanks. I really need to get a lesche for digging public places, but they're so damn expensive.. You think its alright to use a knife instead? Pretty sure it'll do the same thing, just dont want to get caught with a whopping great hunting knife in the park lol. Or are there any other digging tools that'll do a good job in parks?
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 22 June 2014 7:29:07 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Historynerd Go to Quoted Post

Okay thanks. I really need to get a lesche for digging public places, but they're so damn expensive.. You think its alright to use a knife instead? Pretty sure it'll do the same thing, just dont want to get caught with a whopping great hunting knife in the park lol. Or are there any other digging tools that'll do a good job in parks?

Check this out HN.

http://www.detectnz.co.n...ife+and+Plug+Cutter.html

I have been using one for about 6 months and it works just fine.

MK

Historynerd  
Posted : Sunday, 22 June 2014 8:04:38 PM(UTC)
Historynerd

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post

Check this out HN.

http://www.detectnz.co.n...ife+and+Plug+Cutter.html

I have been using one for about 6 months and it works just fine.

MK

Thanks but I'm looking for something that's more in the 20 dollar region. I just don't understand why these small tools are up in the 50 - 80 dollar region.. Probably because they're listed in a specialized market. I'll have to hunt around bunnings or the warehouse for some sort of garden knife, hopefully at a good price. :)
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 23 June 2014 9:46:53 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)

Okay thanks. I really need to get a lesche for digging public places, but they're so damn expensive.. You think its alright to use a knife instead?

Thanks but I'm looking for something that's more in the 20 dollar region. I just don't understand why these small tools are up in the 50 - 80 dollar region.. Probably because they're listed in a specialized market. I'll have to hunt around bunnings or the warehouse for some sort of garden knife, hopefully at a good price. :)

There are some metal detecting equipment that you don't realise how much value for money (despite their price) they are until you use them. One is a quality pinpointer, another is a beach scoop and the last one is the Lesche or Minelab cutter.

The price for them isn't high because its a small market, its high because of their quality and are designed for the use they are going to be put to. A cheap garden knife may be a quarter of the price but after they keep breaking on you you will quickly realise that they have worked out more expensive in the end. A Lesche will last you many years of use in stony or hard ground and still cut a clean plug. The garden trowels are designed for use in soft loamy soil only and even if the blade looks tough they break in the handle are because the tang doesn't go all the way up.

Grab a garden trowel if you are just starting up and don't have the funds, but as soon as you can invest in a Lesche - you won't be sorry.
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 23 June 2014 10:52:47 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
I use a thin garden trowel and it works fine and a mini shovel on the beach.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 23 June 2014 8:31:47 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
For quite some time I used a boning knife to cut the turf and a warehouse trowel to lever the sod up and do the digging. It made a neat job and I never broke either one. Then I got a Lesche posted out from the States. It was a whole new level of easy. It would cut and dig plugs in clay and kikuyu where I would really struggle before.
Shilo has hit the nail on the head. Yes, you don't need a Leshe (or something similar) to help with your detecting, but once you have had one, you will never be without one and will wonder why you didn't get one earlier.
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 June 2014 7:58:09 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Send 'Guardian' a PM - He has some awesome digging tools for what you need at an affordable price - I can fully recommend him :)
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder