New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 26 June 2014 8:15:54 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Mrs JW & I headed away on saturday for an over nighter detect. Didnt get to our spot detecting until 2 pm. We headed back to that slope where a couple of weekends ago I got a small patch of eight pieces in a down hill run & Mrs JW pinged four bits off it. I went back to it last friday night for a night detect on it. I was going to put on the NF 17 x 11 but I left on the NF 12 x 7 thinking that the damp ground & night time conditions would give me an edge.....I was mistaken & got nothing. On saturday I put on the nf 17 x 11 & wondered on down the slope following the line I had the success on two weekends earlier. It was quite a cold bleak afternoon & Mrs JW elected to stay in the wagon reading a mag. I got a definate signal & dug down on it. Down about 8" I was on to the crunchy schist gravel layer

UserPostedImage

Ye ha A 2.5 grammer

UserPostedImage

Then about 2 meters down the slope a faint signal. Again down on the schist gravel layer & the target was out. Notice the first dig behind the detector.

UserPostedImage

The schist gravel layer where the gold is sitting in.

UserPostedImage

A 1.54 gram quartzy slug

UserPostedImage

Then another faint mellow signal

UserPostedImage

Another small piece of sassy gold

UserPostedImage

Another sweet mellow signal

UserPostedImage

And another little quartzy piece

UserPostedImage

Four signals & four bits of gold & not a junk target yet. Mind you this was the thrid time down this slope so the trash had been removed. But that was it. I got no more off here. But I was happy with that result with the 17 x 11
We moved on to another slope where I had done well back in the GP 3000 days. I hadnt tried the 17 x 11 on that slope so off we went.
To cut a long story short I got 4 bits off this slope too. I didnt take any pics of these ones but I got two bits in the one dig hole. I finished the day on a positive packing it in with the fourth piece thinking I would carry on the next day where I left off.

MMMMm....sunday came & I hit the slope & got nothing more. Moved off to another area & only managed two tiny bits for the whole day.

All up 10 bits for just over 7 grams. The four on the right from the first slope on saturday & the four on the left from the 2nd slope on saturday, & the two on top from today.

UserPostedImage

I was well pleased with the 17 x 11 gettting this gold off ground I have been over a few times before with smaller coils. The 2nd slope on saturday I actually found this good patch with the GP 3000 & the 24 x 12 coiltek UFO coil a few years ago. I got some nice bits of gold with that combination. I then went back over it with the commander 11" mono & the commander 15 x 12 then the NF 12 x 7. Getting gold each time. I pinged a 9 grammer with the NF 12 x 7 that I ignored the day before as it was a real screamer & I just thought it was a .22 shell or lead bullet head. One scrape & it had moved. It was almost on the surface. Just goes to show....dig all signals. I have learnt that lesson.

Cheers guys

Good luck out there

JW
gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 26 June 2014 9:41:12 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I was crawling through the Coromandel bush on Tuesday getting soaked and hung up on everything, thinking of you strolling over those open hills, picking up nugget after nugget. And now you do it again. Well done JW and thanks for the post.
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 28 June 2014 8:27:25 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there Garry, Thank you but I dont know about picking up nugget after nugget. It may seem like it but there can be an hour or two between finds. I went out this afternoon for a few hours to an old haunt & got 9 pieces for 2.2 grams. That was a nice little haul you got & some typical but beautiful Coro fern leaf shaped reef type wire gold. You can see by the shapes that is how the gold has precipitated & sweated out of solution in the quartz. That type of gold hasnt traveled very far at all. Absolutley stunning when magnified. Dont see or get that type of gold detecting down here. Get quartz specimen gold but not that fern leaf pattern type stuff. Nice finds.

Good luck out there

JW :)