New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

longtom76  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 July 2014 1:05:53 PM(UTC)
longtom76

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Have recently moved to westport have got a small sluice and a gold pan, am looking 4 information about where I can try my luck in finding some gold
Does anyone know any good public areas or private permits that allow people in to sluice
longtom76 attached the following image(s):
20140710_110304(0).jpg
LepreSean  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 July 2014 9:14:42 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Originally Posted by: longtom76 Go to Quoted Post
Have recently moved to westport have got a small sluice and a gold pan, am looking 4 information about where I can try my luck in finding some gold
Does anyone know any good public areas or private permits that allow people in to sluice

I like Westport very much...found colour on the beach there too....have a look on the permit maps on here and make use of the forum search options.....you cant help but fall over gold mining history up there.....lots of info on the web...papers past, Crown minerals as to not step on toes etc....with your pan and sluice you will be on to it in no time at all mate and I look forward to seeing some photos on here aye :) http://buller.co.nz/sout...-assets/britannia-track/ ......... http://www.paydirt.co.nz...ic-gold-fossicking-areas
auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
BPTpaint48  
Posted : Thursday, 10 July 2014 9:25:50 PM(UTC)
BPTpaint48

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Folks, I am new to this forum, and intermittently been goldpanning, in various places. Regards the panning opportunities, do try the Britannia Track, however, I was there end of May, after those massive winds had been through. DoC had started to clear the track, but where called away somewhere else. At that time, the damage was horrendous, and clambering over the chainsawed trees was "break a leg" territory. I do not know the current situation. A very helpful guy by the name of Eric, at the Westport DoC office, can tell you the status of the track. It goes without saying, no panning was done. Cheers.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 10 July 2014 10:29:08 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
its still the same condition

don't want to rush the poor boys at the "bush police dept"
longtom76  
Posted : Thursday, 10 July 2014 10:36:42 PM(UTC)
longtom76

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yeah was down the car park picnic area couple days ago having a look had a chat with the farmer said doc could be a while alot of tracks got messed up in the area