New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 July 2014 7:27:39 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Been a pretty mild winter so far here in Central Otago so I went back over some old haunts of mine up in the hills over the last couple of weekends with a Nugget Finder 17 x 11 coil. I am totaly blowen away by its sensitivity on the smallest of gold pieces & this is all off ground I have been over many times before with smaller coils, 10 x 5 joey mono, 6" mono, NF 12 x 7, & Commander 11" mono. Each row is of a different days finds. The smallest is .05 of a gram, not .5 (half a gram) but .05. That is pretty damn small I reckon for a detected piece of gold. More so when you consider the size of the coil. Who needs a gold bug with an artists paint brush size coil when this detector will get gold this small & also get gold a LOT deeper with the 17 x 11 inch coil......if it is there. This is all found with the NF 17 x 11 mono on a Minelab GPX 4500. I find it hard to believe. Looks like I will have to revisit many more of my old haunts.

42 bits for 13.65 grams off flogged ground.....I still find it hard to believe. Who says gold never grows back :)LOL. Just goes to show......you never get it all...EVER...

UserPostedImage

Cheers guys :)

Good luck out there

JW .

1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 July 2014 7:44:41 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Nice work JW! It is impressive to hear the size coil you are finding these with! I wish I had gold nuggets at my doorstep like I used to...
At least I still get the odd bit at the beach. Keep up the good work, I always look forward to ur posts
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
NUGGY  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 July 2014 1:06:25 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Nice! that is some good results mate. You obviously have that machine sussed out well. All your time spent learning, practicing and researching is paying off more and more.
I am probably permanently restricted to my GB pro (seldom go out anyway) as any more than about 3 knobs and buttons and I'm baffled lol.
Hope your gold streak continues - NUGGY
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 July 2014 1:59:36 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
That's impressive! Still prefer the GB for bush bashing though ;)
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 July 2014 11:20:43 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Cheers Matt & thanks for dropping by & for your comments. You are doing well yourself on those North Shore beachs. Well done. How are you enjoying Auckland?
Yes that NF 17 x 11 coil has been a real suprise package & none more so on that small gold considering that I have been all over that ground with all those smaller coils. I can only put it down to the damper ground due to frosts & heavy dew this time of the year. The colder ground conditions. The stunted grass growth & weaker spindly tussock allowing me to get the coil right down on to the ground & able to scrub it, & you cant get any closer to the gold in the ground than that. Because I have got gold off those grounds before I am detecting very slow & pouncing on any slight hickup in the threshold.

Nuggy my old mate, thanks for your kind words. Very nice to hear from you. Hope you are getting a your share. Good luck out there.

Thank you Gavin....as you know....there is no bush where I detect....so no problem waving the 4500 around.

Cheers guys

Best of luck to you all out there.

JW :)
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 July 2014 11:48:21 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Good work John, now where are ur old haunts again exactly, coords please... :-)
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 July 2014 11:49:43 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
and I like that rough looking 0ne in the top right, not very worn, so might be near a source lode.
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 23 July 2014 7:18:14 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Originally Posted by: Golddigger7 Go to Quoted Post
and I like that rough looking 0ne in the top right, not very worn, so might be near a source lode.

Hi there Dave, The top row were found on the same day but are from two different lots of old dry gully workings. It is odd that the four rough ones I found were on a small worked area that is only one very small shallow gully away from the rest of the smooth water worn looking ones. Whats even stranger is that back in my GP 3000 days I found a few smooth water worn pieces in the same small workings that the rough ones came from. The 2nd row down were found on a very high ancient river terrace & a two hour drive from the area where the rest were found. The four next to the coin are also quite rough & still have quartz attached. The bottom row were found two weeks later on the same workings as the smooth pieces in the top row.
I have tried to trace the rough quartzy ones to a source over the last 6 years but as yet have found nothing. There doesnt seem to be a patten in there distribution & with Otago's violent geological past....with faulting & folding, glaciation.....could have come from & been deposited from any where. This is confirmed more so by the fact that there is the two types of gold (rough, hackly quartzy & smooth water worn) found in the same workings. So obviously two very different sources that have ended up in the same location. An assay of the two would be very intersting. With the rough hackly gold the source may even no longer exist. Totally eroded & weathered away, so pretty much given up on trying to find a source but just enjoy the walk & hopefully walk over gold.

Good luck out there.

PS: You dont really expect me to tell you EXACTLY where I found it.....do you??.... :) LOL
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 23 July 2014 8:27:50 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Just hope you swing your coil over the reef! I guy I know found a reef with his detector. He was chipping put one gRam bits out of it.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 24 July 2014 6:40:08 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

G'day Matt, Thank you. Yes.... I guess in the back of my mind I am aware that there is every chance that I could walk over a reef or small stringer loaded with gold. I know of a recent find of this happening with a detector, & it wasnt all that far away from where I am looking. This was off ground that Glass Earth had relinquished so they wouldnt have been too happy about that, & I know they found out about it but there was nothing they could do....they tried apparently. :)

Good luck out there