New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

MPS goldhunter  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 June 2011 4:57:47 PM(UTC)
MPS goldhunter

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Below are some images of electrum (a gold-silver alloy) from epithermal quartz veins of the Hauraki Goldfield

Typically most electrum is extremely fine-grained occuring as sub-microscopic to microscopic specs in quartz. Below are some examples from the Karangahake deposit. Access and collection of these sample was kindly granted by Heritage Gold Ltd.

UserPostedImage
An example of a crustiform banded / brecciated quartz vein from Karangahake. The minute black blebs consist of silver sulfides with

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Example of partially oxidised ore. The dark grey areas seen best in the lower image are rich with silver sulfides / sulfosalts: mainly acanthite with a little electrum

UserPostedImage
Drill core that insected a rich portion of the Maria vein known as BM37. This has mineralised fragment in crustiform banded vein with visible electrum

UserPostedImage
A most impressive slab from BM37. The metallic band adjacent the coin is all electrum. The coppery looking band is the sulfide chalcopyrite. Sample Heritage Gold Ltd.

The Hauraki Goldfield is also famous for bonanza-grade veins. Below are a couple of examples that I have been able to study on kind loan from Auckland museum.

UserPostedImage
Platy like electrum in quartz, Thames (mine unknown)

UserPostedImage
Fine wire electrum? / gold coating quartz, Thames (mine unknown)

UserPostedImage
Three samples of bonanza-grade electrum in quartz from the Four in Hand mine near Coromandel township

UserPostedImage
Mass of electrum plates coating comb quartz, Four in Hand mine near Coromandel

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 June 2011 5:09:37 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
great stuff - Just love seeing those photos even if they make me jealous!
madsonicboating  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 June 2011 5:39:22 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
they are really cool shots!!
Cheers
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 June 2011 5:56:32 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:05:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mem  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 June 2011 2:33:14 AM(UTC)
mem

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thanks for showing those MPS Gold Hunter.
Mem
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 June 2011 2:50:42 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi ,MPS GOLDHUNTER..

And thanks for the shots of ,which would be some of the “BEST” best that our forum members will “Ever see” regarding these types of gold quartz veins/stringers of “Genuine” NZ origin.
During my life, I have found and mucked around with all those vein/stringers shown ,and the formations that they are found in, and if you think that a 1oz nugget in a creek will make your heart kick---Think again! Some of this stuff will put you in heart attack mode.

Regards to all--Thanks again MPS---Cheers---Colin.
MPS goldhunter  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 June 2011 5:14:51 PM(UTC)
MPS goldhunter

Those bonanza-grade samples held by Auckland museum are certainly impressive. I need to re-take images of the smaller samples and add these to the above. As mentioned in another post, these samples I was able to use tiny chips from for my research but unfortunately none contained measurable fluid inclusions. Nonetheless, though hitting a wall on that front it has provided a unique opportunity to view these amazing samples. Because there's essentially nothing internationally published on them, not all is lost and I'm planning to write a paper on the bonanza's based on as many samples I can view / photograph and combine with historical descriptions by Fraser and Adam 1907; Fraser, 1910; and Downey 1935.

Edited by user Wednesday, 29 June 2011 5:17:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 June 2011 7:04:34 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
MPS goldhunter wrote:
Those bonanza-grade samples held by Auckland museum are certainly impressive. I need to re-take images of the smaller samples and add these to the above. As mentioned in another post, these samples I was able to use tiny chips from for my research but unfortunately none contained measurable fluid inclusions. Nonetheless, though hitting a wall on that front it has provided a unique opportunity to view these amazing samples. Because there's essentially nothing internationally published on them, not all is lost and I'm planning to write a paper on the bonanza's based on as many samples I can view / photograph and combine with historical descriptions by Fraser and Adam 1907; Fraser, 1910; and Downey 1935.

Now that does sound interesting and if you have them published may I put in my order as I would love to obtain a copy of your findings...regardless of price I might add...well within reason that is.

Do these tiny inclusions occur in all gold reef material or just from up there - I note that there is a reef which was barely touched and yet was supposed to have some great samples in it out the back from my place but next door...now you have me thinking.

Edited by user Wednesday, 29 June 2011 7:06:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MPS goldhunter  
Posted : Thursday, 30 June 2011 5:41:53 AM(UTC)
MPS goldhunter

Lammerlaw wrote:
Now that does sound interesting and if you have them published may I put in my order as I would love to obtain a copy of your findings...regardless of price I might add...well within reason that is.

Do these tiny inclusions occur in all gold reef material or just from up there - I note that there is a reef which was barely touched and yet was supposed to have some great samples in it out the back from my place but next door...now you have me thinking.

The international one will be some time away as there are other papers to sort first. However I am working on a smaller one for this year’s AusIMM conference. I'm sure there will be no problem with sending you a copy (no charge).

Fluid inclusions can occur in a number of different minerals and deposit types. Quartz is the most common host mineral, but fluid inclusions can occur in calcite, barite, fluorite, sphalerite, stibnite, enargite, wolframite and occasionally pyrite (in the case of the sulfides need an infrared microscopic / camera system to view). In terms of deposit types, quartz veins of the Coromandel (e.g. Martha-Favona, Karangahake, Golden Cross, Broken Hills) are classed as epithermal and can commonly have fluid inclusions in quartz; particularly in the larger, elongated / needle crystals. Fluid inclusions also occur in quartz of orogenic (Mesothermal) gold deposits like those in the South Island (e.g. Blackwater); the eroded remains and accumulations reported as the source of the gold placers. Inclusions in orogenic gold deposits tend to be smaller, less common and different than those in epithermal; they common contain liquid CO2. They also occur in porphyry Cu, Cu-Au, Cu-Mo deposits which commonly trap hypersaline fluid inclusions that contain minute salt crystals (halite, sylvite) and sometimes chalcopyrite. Mississippi type valley deposits mined for zinc and lead also have fluid inclusions; thought these tend to be a bit cooler. Lastly spectacular multiphase inclusions crowded with daughter crystals occur in emeralds / these would be really nice to study ;)

This is by no means exhaustive as they can occur in many deposit types, but not every deposit will have measureable inclusions. For example in my studies Karangahake, Waiorongomai has exceptional inclusions but Tokatea, Kapanga, Hauraki, Thames so far no good.

Edited by user Friday, 1 July 2011 2:39:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 1 July 2011 10:35:49 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:06:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified