New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 August 2014 11:52:14 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Went out in the weekend amidst the wind & rain. Wasnt too pleasant but was ever hopefull I would snag a few bits of gold. GPX 4500 & the Nugget Finder 17 x 11 inch coil. This has been a deadly combination for me on many of my old haunts lately. With in a minute I got a real screamer of a signal & right next to it what sounded like a very faint signal. Could it of just been the screamer of a signal on the fringe of the coil.

Couple of scrapes & the signal was out

UserPostedImage

A sassy bit of gold. Off to a good start

UserPostedImage

Then a few meters away & positive mellow signal

UserPostedImage

Another bit of the good stuff. Still a bit of quartz attached

UserPostedImage

Another real faint whisper of a signal

UserPostedImage

Another piece of gold

UserPostedImage

I then got what I thought was a very faint signal from waving the coil over the top of a clump of grass. There was nothing from on the ground around the clump but only when on the top of it. I hacked the grass clump out & got the coil down on to the ground & the signal had improved. I dug on down until thye signal was out.

UserPostedImage

It was gold

UserPostedImage

Then a good signal from under a thyme bush. Very shallow & one scrape & it was out

A tiny bit of gold

UserPostedImage

All up 5 bits for 3.2 grams

UserPostedImage

Good luck out there

JW :)

1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 August 2014 8:43:28 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Looks like more of that reefy gold you have been getting of late, go on and find that vein! Good work
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
NUGGY  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 August 2014 12:25:21 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Good to see you are getting out, even in the crap weather. Bloody good result too, ten sessions like that gets you an ounce! It is nice rough looking character pieces too. Well done mate :-)
Many years back I used to pan about a gram of fine gold in 2 hours once a week, it was on a river beach under fairly big rocks. Lots of bending and scraping up the black sand, then crouching down to pan it, so 2 hours was enough for me. I'd do it one evening a week after work and would have over an ounce by Xmas! Was a good system, shame I have nothing like that where I am now.
I have been doing some prospecting, not found anything worth persevering with yet, but will keep looking. It is parpa country with mostly fine gold where I live now, and there is very little wash on top of the parpa, and so far none of it any good. Lots of old workings in the area, mostly cleaned right out though. NUGGY
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 August 2014 6:58:29 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
Looks like more of that reefy gold you have been getting of late, go on and find that vein! Good work

Hi Matt, Thank you mate. I have all but given up on trying to find the source. There just isnt a patten to its distribution. I am thinking that the source has been totaly eroded away, but you never know your luck.

Nuggy....thanks mate. It is always good to get a bit of colour. I havnt panned or sluice boxed or dredged for a couple of years now. Just head up in to the hills detecting. OOoppss I lie....I had a few days camping & dredging over xmas break just for a change. I didnt even take the detector so that I had no choice but to dredge. If I had of taken the detector I know I would have just done that & not bothered with the hassle of dragging the dredge & all the bits & pieces to the spot.
Went out for a couple of hours for a detect after work last night & got 4 little bits for 1.4 grams. I would have walked over these bits dozens of times as they were on an old 4x4 track that I use as access to some old workings. I was actually walking back to my wagon having got nothing on the old workings. It was dark & I had my headlamp on & just detected up this track for no reason other than I had nothing for the night & thought....what the hell. The gold gods were smiling down on me. LOL :)

Cheers guys

Good luck out there

JW :)