New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Npadam  
Posted : Sunday, 10 August 2014 8:01:45 PM(UTC)
Npadam

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hey there , my brother in law and I are planning our first gold fossicking trip to the South Island in early summer . We have never done this before and would love some hints and tips on some of the better places to start , we are planning on heading down and camping and fossicking for about a week ,
What are the best ways to do about finding gold in the public areas ? Are you aloud to camp in these places ?

Any help would be much,y appreciated

Connor  
Posted : Sunday, 10 August 2014 8:44:45 PM(UTC)
Connor

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you are in Central otago the 12 mile creek and the shotover would be the go. They have held the most gold in my experience in prospecting the public areas in central. Do some panning on the gravel beaches to find some colour. Set up a sluice and classify down some gravel to 1/4 or 1/8 inch to run through it. Hopefully by the end of the week you could end up with a bit of gold. As for the camping side of things I don't know. Good luck :)
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 10 August 2014 10:00:01 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
On the very top line on this paydirt page, click on 'Locations". This will give you the public fossicking areas. It will also tell you whether or not you can camp at each location.