New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 August 2014 8:09:38 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, We had a bit of crap weather at the end of last week. Rain thursday, turned to snow on the friday. Ski fields certainly needed it but got snowed off from work on the friday & it wasnt looking good for a weekend detect. I thought....stuff it....I'll head over to my mates place any way. Mrs JW was away up north & I thought I might try to get in a night detect. My mate doesnt have a phone or computer, living life a bit on the rough side, so there was a chance he may not even be home. MMMMMmmmm....got there & he wasnt.
Oh....bugger....didnt fell like sleeping in my car when it is forecast to be -6. Oh well...there is always the old miners hut Probably full of rats lurking up in the rafters this time of the year.
The weather was starting to break & there wasnt snow as low down here. I Called in to see the farmer to let him know that I was around & if he saw lights driving around up on the hills it was just me. That was all good so off I went. To cut a long story short.....I got nothing on the gold front. I guess I shouldnt have been surprised as I had been over this ground so many times.....& with the 17 x 11NF. Before going to the old stone miners hut I went back to my mates place. Thank god he was home.

Hit the slopes next morning.

Looking down the old dry gully workings & the humps of the turned over piles with little patches of snow here & there & in the sheltered side of the thyme bushes & tussock.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I hadnt been down these workings with the NF 17 x 11 but had done pretty well in the past with smaller coils. I only snaged one piece of gold with the 17 x 11. Down in the schist bed rock.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Looking down the gully & snowy hills in the distance

UserPostedImage

Looking up the old gully workings

UserPostedImage

I then moved on to another dry gully further down the hill. I had bought myself a petrol powered brush cutter to chop out some thyme bushes & briar rose bushes & tussock grass that were growing in the old workings & preventing me from getting my coil right down where it needed to be. I spent an hour clearing a slope of the workings where I had found numerous pieces of gold in clear unobstructed areas in the past. I found 4 pieces of gold after clearing the spot.

I got a nice clear mellow signal & one I was in to the rotten schist knew it had to be gold

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A few feet away & the same thing. A couple of scrapes & I was on to that rotten schist bed rock & the signal was still there

UserPostedImage

Another piece of sassy gold Ye Ha

UserPostedImage

Notice the pile of trimmed off thyme bushes kicked in to a heap

UserPostedImage

The next signal was a real screamer right next to a thyme bush that I hadnt cut out. I got my pick & cleared the ground right next to the bush where I thought the signal was centred on. No.....still screaming. I then noticed an old 12 gauge shoot gun cartridgel right in the middle of the thyme bush. I picked it out & put it in my pocket. For no reason I scanned the area around the thyme bush again & got a positive mellow signal. Ha...no way...I thought. Dug down in to the dirt

UserPostedImage

& out came a piece of the good stuff.

UserPostedImage

I got another couple of little bits off the cleared area so it was well worth doing. Now I can think of a zillion other places where that brush cutter can be put to good use on more old haunts. Only trouble is going to be carrying it & the detector to those spots.

All up 6 bits for just 2.2 grams

UserPostedImage

Cheers guys & good luck out there

JW .
goldhanded  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 August 2014 11:06:16 PM(UTC)
goldhanded

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Now that looks like great detecting,thanks for the photos etc,There's got to be a big boy around there somewhere.After climbing up and down creeks and slippery rocks waving a detector around on the West Coast,that sort of country looks really appealing haha,may have to change tack on the next trip and head for Central or Southland haha,good work!
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 August 2014 5:40:46 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Thanks Goldhanded for dropping by & for your comments. Yes you guys on the coast do it tuff waving a detector in that terrain. Got to love the open country of Central & Southland in comparison. :) Makes for very easy swining of a detector. Helps to know where the gold is too.....& that doesnt come easy.... takes a lot of research & a lot of time out in the field finding it. It is usually the bigger bits you find first & then you slow down & try different coil sizes to get all the gold you can from that area.
What detector are you running?

Good luck out there

JW :)
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 August 2014 8:52:46 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Great Work John, might have to dig out the old detector myself and have a go.
Foiled again  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 August 2014 10:41:43 AM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Awesome pics and story kiwijw! Love ya work
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 August 2014 11:11:51 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Great story thanks JW. Happy hunting out there.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 August 2014 6:09:35 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Inspirational as always. Some nice pieces there. Certainly more impressive than the Coromandel dust.