New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 16 August 2014 10:39:08 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Any body bought & used this detector & able to give us a report on your thoughts, success, complaints etc ? I feel this would be very suited to NZ & being water proof to 3 meters . Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW :)
The Hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 16 August 2014 9:03:44 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi John

On one of the sub forums on here, I think it was gold grab,(User Name) or something similar. Bought one off Skylab Christchurch. He was kinda worried it may be a counterfeit. But it turned out to be the real deal. He is a self admitted new chum. Took it for a trip up Moonlight Creek but was thwarted by a log across the road, blocking access. His latest post was he was down on Summner beach, ChCh find mega bobby pins.
I rang Sky Lab just to see what price they are offering them up at. I think the guy said $3850.00 plus delivery costs. That was around the same cost the minelab dealer in Auckland had on his website. But the price there now seems to be gone. Seems they are popular. They are now on a back order basis, the guy in ChCh said Minelab expected the next shipment to arrive about Wednesday this coming week.

Lots of info and utubes on. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/

Im still tossing up as to whether to get one or not. I run outa puff these days, still it would nice hanging on the wall. Lol

Cheers Trev
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 12:42:54 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there Trev, Thank you for your comments & feedback. I did see that line of posts but would be interested in hearing from someone experienced out in the field looking for & finding gold, as that is what this detector is designed for. Not for beach detecting & not from a new chum. No offence to this chap as we all have to start some where.
I started my detecting days combing the beaches & parks & old house/town sites in the Coromandel. Had a ball & made some cool finds. My passion now is gold detecting & I very nearly bought one of these detectors to complement my GPX 4500. I have seen a lot of feedback on this detector from across the ditch. Very good at finding small gold, & most of our gold is small, but there have been a lot of compliants about its design & that it only has the one coil which is hard wired to the detector. The complaints are more about the cost of the detector for what you are actually getting & needing to make quite a few mods your self to make the detector more user friendly. This shouldnt be the case when forking out so much money. Minelab have been making detectors for years now & you think they would have the basics sussed in designing a user friendly machine with out the need for the purchaser having to correct these problems. They also say that the head phone cable is too short & as it has a special connection with 6 pins you cant use standard 1/4 inch jack head phones. Also the detector is water proof to 3 meters but as yet you cant get water proof head phones for it. There seems to be a problem too with the supply of a battery charger.....All pretty poor really for the $$$$$ spent.
I have held back from getting one as I find pretty small gold with what I all ready have. Plus I can put on a huge array of different size & shaped coils. from 6" up to 25". From round coils to elliptical. Mono's & DD's. Not that I use DD's but stick with the more sensitive & depth penetration of the mono's.
Smallest gold I have found detecting is .04 of a gram. That is pretty small for detected gold in my humble opinion.
This weekend I finally took off my 17" x 11" coil put on an 8" mono & found 6 bits for just 2 grams.

UserPostedImage

I do like the water proof ability but when I heard there were no water proof head phones available yet I was a bit shocked.
Trouble is.....I dont really expect to hear from any one on this forum that is experienced & having success with this detector, or any other gold detector for that matter. There seems to be a lot of "members" on this site that just gleen information for them selves but give nothing in return. That is why this forum is so dead on the gold side of things. It is always the same very small handfull of members that make the effort to contribute to try & keep it alive. But I just thought I would test the waters with my query to see what....if anything....would come from it.

Best of luck out there

The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 9:30:24 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi John

Rang Metal Kiwi today. To get a price and the availability of the koss water proof headphones. He will get back to me.
The SDC 2300 is an embryo of the FC3 1 mine detector. As landmine manufacturers get more cunning, they shrink the firing pin and cap, so as to defeat modern land mine detectors, the rest is just plastic and c4. blow a leg or foot of. Better to maim than kill, takes up resources.

The very name Minelab is what they are about. Then they found a new world in the game of gold. The FC3 1 is obviously a plug and play mine detector. Can be carried in a grunts backpack and if the patrol gets into a mine infested area, out it comes. And all are saved, hopefully.

So they tweek the FC3 1 a tad and we have the SDC2300. So it must be a very small firing pin and cap indeed. All the better for us gold detectorers. Steve Hersbach from Alaska has kinda fallen in love with his, read here if you haven't. But Chris from Reno had all the fun and games.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/

A couple of pics

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

I was up in Alaska a few years back, lovely place. Doing a gold thing, but thats another story.

But yes Im gunna get an SDC2300. Do I need one. "No" do I want one "Yes"

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 11:29:06 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Gidday JW

I had a quoted price for the SDC 2300 from Chris at detectnz. Attached was a list of accessories and prices, one of which was for waterproof headphones, so I assume they are available. You could go to his website www.detectnz.co.nz and enquire, if you wish.
Unfortunately, I have lost the attachment.
Golddigger7  
Posted : Sunday, 24 August 2014 9:56:34 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I would love to know how 'waterproof' it is, would be a handy tool to check bedrock after dredging to see if urve got all the gold. If any of you get one, can u chuck it into 2m of water for an hr or so and tell me if it still works after you pull it out.
goldgrab2000  
Posted : Sunday, 24 August 2014 11:05:30 AM(UTC)
goldgrab2000

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
Hi there Trev, Thank you for your comments & feedback. I did see that line of posts but would be interested in hearing from someone experienced out in the field looking for & finding gold, as that is what this detector is designed for. Not for beach detecting & not from a new chum. No offence to this chap as we all have to start some where.
I started my detecting days combing the beaches & parks & old house/town sites in the Coromandel. Had a ball & made some cool finds. My passion now is gold detecting & I very nearly bought one of these detectors to complement my GPX 4500. I have seen a lot of feedback on this detector from across the ditch. Very good at finding small gold, & most of our gold is small, but there have been a lot of compliants about its design & that it only has the one coil which is hard wired to the detector. The complaints are more about the cost of the detector for what you are actually getting & needing to make quite a few mods your self to make the detector more user friendly. This shouldnt be the case when forking out so much money. Minelab have been making detectors for years now & you think they would have the basics sussed in designing a user friendly machine with out the need for the purchaser having to correct these problems. They also say that the head phone cable is too short & as it has a special connection with 6 pins you cant use standard 1/4 inch jack head phones. Also the detector is water proof to 3 meters but as yet you cant get water proof head phones for it. There seems to be a problem too with the supply of a battery charger.....All pretty poor really for the $$$$$ spent.
I have held back from getting one as I find pretty small gold with what I all ready have. Plus I can put on a huge array of different size & shaped coils. from 6" up to 25". From round coils to elliptical. Mono's & DD's. Not that I use DD's but stick with the more sensitive & depth penetration of the mono's.
Smallest gold I have found detecting is .04 of a gram. That is pretty small for detected gold in my humble opinion.
This weekend I finally took off my 17" x 11" coil put on an 8" mono & found 6 bits for just 2 grams.

UserPostedImage

I do like the water proof ability but when I heard there were no water proof head phones available yet I was a bit shocked.
Trouble is.....I dont really expect to hear from any one on this forum that is experienced & having success with this detector, or any other gold detector for that matter. There seems to be a lot of "members" on this site that just gleen information for them selves but give nothing in return. That is why this forum is so dead on the gold side of things. It is always the same very small handfull of members that make the effort to contribute to try & keep it alive. But I just thought I would test the waters with my query to see what....if anything....would come from it.

Best of luck out there

Hi all just like to say that I have found gold with with my new sdc2300, one flake weighing .12g gave a strong signal but not very deep, also one small nugget .59g, not very deep but gave off a very strong signal. Yes JW I can comfirm the headphone cable is to short and a real pain in the bum. I have been told by a couple of people that I probably won't find gold on my first few trips out with this detector, so I'm one very happy chap to find gold on my second day. I will be passing through queenstown today so will look at some of the fossiking areas and maybe stay for a couple of days, but really keen to get back to the west coast ASAP :)
Anyone in the queenstown area in the next couple days want to meet up for some detecting, sluice/pan, fick me a message...always keen to meet new people and really keen to learn more about my new hobby :)
goldgrab2000  
Posted : Sunday, 24 August 2014 11:15:29 AM(UTC)
goldgrab2000

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Golddigger7 Go to Quoted Post
I would love to know how 'waterproof' it is, would be a handy tool to check bedrock after dredging to see if urve got all the gold. If any of you get one, can u chuck it into 2m of water for an hr or so and tell me if it still works after you pull it out.

Hi golddigger

I have had my unit under water several times but for short periods of time only and all seems well. I understand minelab give a 3 yr warranty on this detector so I'm sure it would be ideal for what you want it for. I will give it a good underwater test in the next few days, but not really that keen on holding it under for a couple if hours lol.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 24 August 2014 8:47:10 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Thanks goldgrab2000 for your report. Well done on your finds. I have just got home from a weekend out in the hills with my GPX 4500. I managed 13 bits for a total of 3 grams. The smallest was just .09 of a gram & the biggest only .56. This was with the Nuggetfinder 17" X 11" coil going over old timer turned over piles from dry gully workings where they carted away the rich bottom wash to the nearest water for processing. They always threw some gold out on their digging piles as they got down to the paydirt layer. The bonus of working these piles is that the last shovel fulls that they biffed on to the waste piles are the ones that were on the top of the paydirt layer that they were after & are on the very top of the piles they left behind that are still there today . So any gold present is either on the very top of the piles or very close to it. Cheers.

Good luck out there

Edited by user Sunday, 24 August 2014 9:41:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 October 2014 9:26:50 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Not long back from a trip to Western Australia, visiting our son and his wife in Perth We did a trip up the coast as far as Exmouth then headed inlandto look at the mining and to do some detecting I have a Fisher gold bug pro.On our way south we met up with my son and his good lady to spend a week chasing gold in one of his favored spots.
He has a minelab 5000, and his lady just traded her minelab 4500 on a sdc2300. It was the first trip out with the sdc.
To cut along story shorter the 5000 got the the biggest nugget about 8 grams probably got 10 for the week the sdc got the balance of detected gold best day was about 30 nuggets. The ground was extremely mineralized lots of hot rocks and iron. The sdc is very easy to use the first time I managedto get a go with it I scored a nice nugget and shortly after another 3.
For the week we got just under 2.5 ounces. On our way back to perth we stayed overnight in the bush by some old workings a fairly popular spot as it turned out as people were detecting by us that night you could hear their detector hitting old rusty sardine cans etc. Also next am we heard a bike and abit later a 4wd. Inthe am by some old workings in an hour I got 5 or six small bits 3 of them so small the scales wouldn't weigh them the 3 together .1gm.
I will try to post a couple photos 1 with those few nuggets and the other some of the larger nuggets.
PS. On my couch here in Coromandel is a new sdc2300 arrived today from Chis at Detectnz, batteries in the charger.
I have a fisher gold bug pro with a 11inch elliptical coil and the 5inch gold coil for sale, going on trade me when I get a chance a good buy for some one.
Foiled again  
Posted : Thursday, 16 October 2014 2:39:20 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Drool...
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 18 October 2014 9:37:55 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Mean.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 18 October 2014 10:42:03 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Hey Pete, that's pretty impressive. Pleased to see you got the pics up. Just out of curiosity, did the 2300 pick up anything that the 5000 passed over the top of but didn't pick up?.
Looking forward to seeing what you can find on this side of the ditch.
peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Saturday, 18 October 2014 5:40:22 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Hi Gary, The quick answer is yes, quite a bit. The 5000 comes into its own on the deep gold, and the large area you can cover using the larger coils. Find it then clean up with 2300.
We did try an 8 inch coil for comparison but the 2300 was still better on the sub grammers. my test piece is .25g, but we were getting gold to small for the scales est .05g maybe even smaller. I think maybe the 5000 with a small coil and a very experienced operator may get there, the soil, what there is of it, is so highly mineralized that you have that to contend with as well.
The 2300 you can take it out of your vehicle,cancel the electrical interference noise if any, set threshold i find 1.5 to 2 leds a nice easy to listen hum, ground balance and you are away it even seems to automatically GB itself after that. When turned off it remembers your previous settings. It does have about 8 different ground type settings,3 for salt, that you can select. Just left it set in the green #2. There are a row of 9 leds. I found them to be of great help when detecting you think you hear a target and you can go back over it watching the leds, 1 is on all the time the 2nd just coming and going,when you are onto a target (sub grammer) the 2nd led will stay on and the 3rd flash until you have it pretty much pinpointed, some times you will hear it some times not. Large targets the whole 9 go and it blows your eardrums apart. The 5000 picks up a lot more ground noise and I think you miss the small stuff partly for this reason, this is where experience comes in.
A few things about it that Im not happy with (cant get it perfect). the first day out the wires came apart at the plug for the headphones, cable to short for gold detecting, a few fixxes, when you find a target unplug the headphones and take them off use the on board speaker to help recover your target. Failing that collapse the coil shafts it's easy enough. dont use headphones we found plenty of gold without them, but it's a bugger by machinery or wind. Set up as shown in enclosed picture, met a guy who also had the same problem as us, wires got pulled out of plug. he has an amplifier speaker, notice the small light headphones, they hang under the chin so you can wear a wide brimmed hat
Available now are extension adaptor leads from Phase Technical made by Nenad Lonic (he used to be minelab australia's technician and is now out on his own) email:[email protected] As you would expect they are expensive $103au. Reeds Prospecting in Perth stock them $110au they also have remote speakers $40 and amplifiers $140 so you can set the noise up beside your good ear, on the harness $85. bungee set up $42. Ive made my own bungee and harness out of bits and pieces as you do, get a dee fixxed onto your backpack and you are half way there, the shoulder gets pretty painful after a few hours swinging.
With a bit of luck Chris from DetectNZ may source these, be something extra to put on the accessory webpage, we should support the guys here, Im sure he can beat the aussie prices.
The other niggle with the sdc2300 is the elbow rest and strap the strap is awkward and a pain to keep adjusting velcro would be a good fix. the collapsable rest wants to collapse when putting your arm thru especially with long sleeves. The fulla whose detector is in the photo his collapsing bits are not far away from disappearing he is going to use a bit of 100m plastic waterpipe to sort. his detector is the machine he uses almost solely now, his 5000 and other detectors stay in the camper van. He had just returned to the town camping ground from a walk for about a hour around the local watertank with 3 nice nuggets when I caught up with him. An area that's been thrashed for years.
Dont get me wrong these detectors where designed for the military. The guy swinging the detector won't be digging the mines so the headphones would be heaps long enough and he wont be putting it on the ground every 5 mins so putting your arm in and out of the elbow rest wont be worrying him either. the way they collapse and fold away is a brilliant piece of design fairly rugged as well, not all flimsy.
The other photo is of a days collecting for us.
peteatpapaaroha attached the following image(s):
20140922_183420.jpgpay dirt.jpg
20140924_152521.jpg paydirt.jpg
gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 18 October 2014 6:04:53 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Thanks for that great information Pete. Certainly will give me a few things to think about over the next day or so. I am sure there are others who will also appreciate the information you have imparted. Like you, I purchased mine from Chris. I see the 2300 is available on Alibaba for just over 1k, and Chris's reputation is intact, unlike some others. I see that's the best part of a ounce on the scales. Why are you back here?
What's the secret for keeping those pesky bloody flies away?
peteatpapaaroha  
Posted : Saturday, 18 October 2014 6:55:39 PM(UTC)
peteatpapaaroha

Man
New Zealand

Would have loved to stay there, temp getting up in high 30s, tomatoes to plant and the big snapper are coming in. Heading back next year to really clean up before all the grey nomads over there buy one of these.
Keen to get out here should work really well amongst our hot rocks etc. hard to believe the mineralization over there.
We had fly nets etc,man are those flys a pest up your nose in your eyes and mouth, back black with them. I never had to resort to the nets this year got some Horse Bum cream from Reads, best $18 Ive ever spent you only need a little dab spread around your face and ears and the flys are gone amazing. A couple of applications a day. At least the flys go to bed early and get up late. It was used by the old miners. A cream made from olive oil ,sandelwood and rosemary I think.
Doesnt take them long to get copies done, buyer beware. at least with Chris you know what you are getting.
Watch out Otago.
gavzilla  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 February 2015 6:13:35 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I just brought a sdc2300 took it out over weekend and boy does that thing detect the smallest metal. I didn't find any gold but I did get a old hand carved pocket knife and a few tobacco tins.

The pocket knife was between 450-500mm under a tailing pile washed out of an old mine and it sent the sdc crazy.

Also up the arrow I found bits of wire the size of match heads around 300mm deep, they also sent the machine crazy. It sure is super sensitive compared to detectors I've used before.

Hopefully this weekend produces colour...