New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 24 August 2014 10:28:59 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys. Last weekends finds. 6 little bits for 1.97 grams. This was using the Minelab Commander 8" coil. All down in the schist bed rock exposed by the old timers ground sluicing

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This weekends finds. 13 for 3 grams. Using the 17 x 11 nuggetfinder coil. This coil never fails to impress me with how small a gold it can find for its size. Two bits were just .08 of a gram. I'm gobsmacked.

UserPostedImage

Cheers & good luck out there

JW :)

gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 25 August 2014 7:07:30 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Great to see you can battle your way through the permafrost and are still being rewarded for your efforts.

If you were using the SRC 2300, do you think you would find more smaller bits? What is the depth you are dragging those little bits from and would you have expected the 2300 to have located them at that depth also? Hope you don't mind the questions.
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 25 August 2014 9:01:06 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there Garry, Thanks mate for your comments. It has been a pretty mild winter & no real permafrost so to speak of. Not like past years any way. Mrs JW was actually sitting out on the old workings in a camp chair in a singlet. It was that barmmey, but the temp sure did drop as the sun went over the ridge at about 5pm.
As to your questions re the 2300. I would have to say yes to it finding more gold off these workings & I can only say that from feedback I have had & seen from the Aussie forums & not from personal experience as I dont have the 2300 although I was very seriously thinking of getting one. I still cant believe the small gold I am getting with my set up though. The .08 gram bits werent not even 1 inch but the slightly bigger ones would have been at about 6 inches. That is with the 17" x 11" coil. The 2300 only has the one 8" coil that is hard wired to it. That is why last weekend I put on an 8" coil to see how that went. The 2300 is designed with small gold in mind & does very well at it. I would love to try one on my old haunts & I have no doubt that it would have found most the bits that I got, if not all of them . You would have to find a lot of small gold to make one pay its way, but I guess in time it would do that. It would compliment the GPX 4500 very nicely but never replace it. I like the 2300's water proof ability & know many a gold bearing creek I could take it for a swim in. LOL :) It is also supposed to be quite resistant to EMI which opens up more areas that I know of that give the 4500 a bit of a hard time with EMI chatter.

Thanks & good luck out there.

JW :)