New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 19 September 2014 9:21:19 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Ok, I'm looking to buy myself a wetsuit so I can get involved in dredging and sniping in a bit more comfort.

Anyone got any favourite brands / models they swear by?

Any features to look out for? i.e. in surfing - taped seams and fur lined interior sections seem to help stave off the cold.

Thanks in advance!
simon  
Posted : Friday, 19 September 2014 9:49:29 AM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi Gavin,

Bit of a tricky one finding the right wetsuit for sniping. You might need to consider a couple of suits. The trouble is half the time you might be walking or not fully in the water in your suit. If its sum me fit soon gets pretty hot in a 7mm so a 3 mm is often ok in the hot months. Then again the water is still pretty cold overall so a 7mm is probably what is needed.

Sniping can be quite abrasive stuff. Perhaps 2nd hand is the way to go. Then you don't feel so guilty shredding a good suit. Not sure if a high priced new one is worth it. Trade me has quite a few, just need to figure out what size fits. Ideally you want either a 2 piece or one that allows you to unzip easily to pee. Unless you like peeing in the suit. If you have the standard 2 piece it can be a bit of a time waster getting out of it each pee stop. And the sandflies know it and launch a full attack while you're at it.
The 7mm suit are rather heavy. It might take a bit of getting used to as the thickness can make movement a bit tricky, esp. if a bit on the tight side after winter. Not so good if you have to walk in for miles as it will fill up your bag.
Some kneepads are what you want to make the suit survive kneeling on bedrock and sharp rocks. I have some standard ones from the shop. i find they can move about a bit but beats sore knees. You could alternatively cut some tyre inner tubes and use those pieces to protect the knees of the suit.

At the end of the day money spent on a good suit is money well spent i think. It isn't easy trying to find the perfect suit size. and you have to remember your weight may fluctuate over the year also. I tend to lose a lot moving rocks in summer, then gain it plus some eating pies in winter!

Some good brands I've used are Moray and Pro Dive. You probably don't want something too cheap like from the warehouse. I find the cheapies quickly gal to bits, esp the thinner 3mm types.

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Friday, 19 September 2014 10:10:41 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Iv Got a suit for sale got of TM for $200 its in good condition only worn 3 or 4 times its a 1 piece 7mm if you interested just send a PM im selling it because iv wintered a bit to well and its a bit tight!....id been looking for a while on tm and the local pawn shop for a suit i usually always buy 2nd hand mostly because they only last for a season or 2 but this time round i bit the bullet and brought a new one after trying prodive,apollo,moray pluss numerous other suits i was not that impressed i dont like velcro and prodive have changed the model so that the velcro sits rite ontop of the shoulder "there earlyer model was much better" so went to hunting & fishing they have the Cressi Medas semi dry one look at them and i was quite impressed no velcro zip long johns and the jacket zip runs all the way up beside your ear giving a really good seal around the face..no more annoying velcro to pop open....defiantly the best suit iv had and priced the same as prodive,apollo..$600 brought some good knee pads to just need some elbow pads and il be away!
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 19 September 2014 12:08:20 PM(UTC)
gavin

@Simon - Cheers once again for the excellent advice! I've got both a summer and winter surf wettie so they'll do for warmer missions. Think I'll target this purchase on colder water. I've been in gorges mid-summer with the winter wettie and still got too cold as the sun wasn't penetrating the gorge very well. Sandflies... yes, I can imagine - little blighters that they are!

@gingerbreadman - PM sent ;)
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 19 September 2014 2:00:22 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi gavin
I use a 2 piece wettie if I get to hot I just take of the top. I also have a water proof kayaking jacket I find really good for summer

I got a pee zip put in my bottom (that's the wetsuit bottom) cost $20 well worth it although in the cold water it sometime takes awhile to find the worm , tie a bit of string on the end and pull it helps with the location

a car tube over the knees help protect the wetsuit. I use my chaps (canvas ) that protects the whole leg . they are the vones I wear when I go night clubbing with nothing under them (don't know why guys keep talking to me )

well with a few comments like this you will now find that this post will close and you will get no futher comments

cheers kiwikeith
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Friday, 19 September 2014 7:16:54 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Gavin Hey the best wetsuit I've found is a aqualung 7mm zip in front & a full hood. I've got a man down here in ash could sell you one for around $450.00 new. there are around $550.00 he's closing up... I've had pinnacle but wear a hot top with it zip in back water would leck down your back. both semi dry. and not as warm the aqualung are good, a shit to put on sunlight liquid did the trick, when waking you just drop the top around your wast . no pro, I could have a Lager for sale wear once, wrong size for me
Cheers moonlight
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 19 September 2014 8:15:00 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

hi moonlight picker
try calving lubricant any crt will sell it just apply and slip you arm in
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Friday, 19 September 2014 9:15:17 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
hi moonlight picker
try calving lubricant any crt will sell it just apply and slip you arm in

Calving lubricant sounds like fun! na the old sunlight works well, plus it dissolves in water & keeps me squeaky clean
but thanks for your surgestion
Golddigger7  
Posted : Saturday, 20 September 2014 10:11:39 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
For my ten cents worth, I bought a two piece 5mm deep blue titanium for 200 bucks on trademe, still going strong, but did start to feel the could after and hr or two under water. Advantages, still good flexibility, and with the two piece you at least have the xtra layering around ur trunk. I now use a two piece 7mm, another $ 200 dollar special, dont get as cold as the two piece, but do feel a bit like the Michelin man.

Bottom line is that you dont want to get cold, so if your in one spot and under water a lot, then I think you will need the 7mm 2 piece. If you are walking and in and out of the water a lot then the 5mm will be just fine, and a onessie will probably be fine

A lot of price range out there, but dont go expensive, the first tear in the suit will make you cry. The knees have all worn out of mine, and I have made new knee wear pads out of retired wetsuits.

GD
Golddigger7  
Posted : Saturday, 20 September 2014 10:13:50 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
And another trick I use to get in and out of wetsuits is I put old shopping backs on my feet and hands and they slip right thru, specially good when you have a wet wet suit. The wife swears by olive oil...but we wont go there.

GN
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 20 September 2014 10:27:22 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

in winter when diving I wear a 3mm divers vest under my wetsuit. in summer this is sometimes better than the wetsuit top with a tight woollen jersey over
I have tried a pair of trackies over the legs for protection bit of a problem when wet and walking , but when under water they do protect your suit

olive oil mmmmmmmmm KY gel
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 20 September 2014 1:04:21 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers guys - thanks for some awesome advice. Thanks for sharing!

@Moonlight - sounds like it might be worth checking out. Can you flick me your mans details please.

@kiwikeith - Bastard - made me snort my coffee through my nose with your comment about the pecker string. Love it!
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 21 September 2014 2:22:32 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
The easy way to take care of getting in and out of a wetsuit is wear polyprop long johns and a polyprop top with long sleeeves. Wear a thin pair of socks and tuck the bottom of the long johns in them. This also keeps you warmer, and if you need to take your wet suit top off, it keeps those west coast sandflies at bay. If you are going to be doing any sort off walking in a bare wet suit you will soon chaff the family jewels and the back of your knees and thighs. The polyprop undersuit also stops this. If you want to go really upmarket, go to a cycling shop. They have real slinky long johns and tops, made to stop chaffing on cyclists and keep them warm. But I found cheap pollys were okay for me. In the early days we used to wear pantyhose, but they didnt last long. So we experimented with the polyprops and never looked back.

Cheers Trev
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 21 September 2014 2:36:47 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: The Hatter Go to Quoted Post
The easy way to take care of getting in and out of a wetsuit is wear polyprop long johns and a polyprop top with long sleeeves. Wear a thin pair of socks and tuck the bottom of the long johns in them. This also keeps you warmer, and if you need to take your wet suit top off, it keeps those west coast sandflies at bay. If you are going to be doing any sort off walking in a bare wet suit you will soon chaff the family jewels and the back of your knees and thighs. The polyprop undersuit also stops this. If you want to go really upmarket, go to a cycling shop. They have real slinky long johns and tops, made to stop chaffing on cyclists and keep them warm. But I found cheap pollys were okay for me. In the early days we used to wear pantyhose, but they didnt last long. So we experimented with the polyprops and never looked back.

Cheers Trev

Sounds like a very good tip - cheers :)
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 21 September 2014 3:19:06 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi trev

I used to wear pantyhose over my head for some reason got funny looks when I went shopping

I think gavin you should wear Lycia from the bike shop you will look sooooo sexy especially that stretch stuff , don't worry with the cold water you wont have to show off to much

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 21 September 2014 6:16:55 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
hi trev

I used to wear pantyhose over my head for some reason got funny looks when I went shopping

I think gavin you should wear Lycia from the bike shop you will look sooooo sexy especially that stretch stuff , don't worry with the cold water you wont have to show off to much

I must say - I've always wanted to try the lycra look. I'll stuff some socks down the front... just for warmth you understand!
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 21 September 2014 9:42:02 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

The eels and crawlies will be impressed Gavin. When out in the West Coast Bush or as the Greenies call it " Rain Forest" beware off a strange man wearing pantyhose over his head, he claims it keeps the notorious west coast sandflys at Bay, but I suspect he is a cross dresser that doesn't know just how to get it quite right. He's a harmless fellow. Just humor him and he will wander off to the nearest ridge looking for possum sign.

Cheers Trev
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 21 September 2014 10:13:43 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi trev
a cross dresser ready for work in his kilt
nice on a hot day

Edited by user Sunday, 21 September 2014 10:17:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 21 September 2014 10:15:42 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi trev
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 21 September 2014 10:39:53 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi Keith
2 Pages12>