New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 17 October 2014 7:03:53 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Guys, Mrs JW headed up to the North Island to attend a funeral so I was home alone for the weekend. Well it didnt take a second for me to decide to head away for the weekend detecting. In fact I headed off straight after work on friday as with daylight saving now I would be able to get in a few hours before dark.
I was up in the hills & detecting by 6:30. Had on the NF 12 x 7 & targeted some old dry gully workings. After a couple of hours & a fair bit of walking & getting my share of .22 shells, bullet heads & shotgun pellets....things werent looking good. It was starting to get dark when I got a very very faint mellow signal. To cut a long story short I ended up with 5 little bits of gold in an area of 1.5 sq meters. The last bit was the biggest of the 5 littlies & the deepest in a crevice down in the schist bed rock. The dirt is where the others were found.

UserPostedImage

The bed rock crevice

UserPostedImage

The 5 little bits of gold

UserPostedImage

I called it quits after that & did it rough & slept in my wagon up on the workings.

I was awake at 5am. Cooked up some sausages & eggs washed down with a couple of cups of coffee & was detecting by 6am.
Got a nice little mellow signal in what looked like the discards from an old detecting dig scrape. The "hole" in the thyme bushes above the coil.

UserPostedImage

Turned out to be a small piece of gold. Ye Ha

UserPostedImage

Another mellow shallow signal

UserPostedImage

Out pops another small piece

UserPostedImage

Looking down the gully & the turned over piles from the old timers.

UserPostedImage

Another wee shallow signal

UserPostedImage

A tiny tiny piece of gold. .06 of a gram

UserPostedImage

Right next to it on the left yet another very faint little signal. Cant be gold....must be just another shotgun pellet.

UserPostedImage

But gold it was. Man how small is that?? Another at .06 of a gram

UserPostedImage

I ended up with another 5 little pieces from these workings but then it dried up on me.

I oppted to head off to some workings I had never detected before as I was of the opinon that the gold was very fine a floury & un detectable. But thought....what the hell...nothing ventured nothing gained. So I drove off & headed in.

Old turned over piles of rough, course granular quartz. None of it water worn or rounded.

UserPostedImage

Washed out ground sluicing in a fine clay/quartz gravel mix. Hence my thoughts of very fine floury gold.

UserPostedImage

I started detecting up out of the main washed out area & got a very positive signal in the undisturbed quartz gravels.

UserPostedImage

A bit of the good stuff.

UserPostedImage

Then a real loud signal & thoughts of a .22 shell....only the signal wasnt as sharp as a .22 shell....maybe a lead bullet head.

I dug in to the quartz gravel. & a beaut piece gold.

UserPostedImage

Just over 2 grams

UserPostedImage

I then spied a small area of exposed schist bed rock that the old timers had washed down to in the old washed out gully. I head down to it & started wondering up the bed rock. I got a loud signal & bent down to examin the schist & saw a piece of gold just sunbathing in full view resting between some stones.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Not far away another signal

UserPostedImage

After a scrape it was out. Another tiny bit.

UserPostedImage

I ended up with 5 pieces off these old workings with those last two found right on top of exposed schist bed rock.

So all up 15 bits for 4 grams & an old button. The 10 on the left from the first lot of workings & the 14 small bits all up didnt weigh as much as the bigger one.

UserPostedImage

Cheers & good luck out there

JW .

oneounce  
Posted : Friday, 17 October 2014 7:30:43 PM(UTC)
oneounce

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Hi Kiwijw

Great to see. Thanks for showing us.

oneounce

CTX3030
Excalibur 11
Detecknix Xpointer
Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones
Gog Headphones

Detecting - Knowledge is Power
gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 17 October 2014 7:53:54 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Great pics and story yet again. I'll be down there mid November with the new SDC 2300 to pick up any pieces you may have left behind.
digahole!!  
Posted : Friday, 17 October 2014 8:19:01 PM(UTC)
digahole!!

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Well done! I especially like the look of the gold that your getting down there, much more appealing than the squashed flat pieces I normally find.
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 17 October 2014 8:54:20 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I love your mission write ups mate, always inspiring! :)
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 18 October 2014 7:10:54 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Guys, Thank you for your replies & comments.

Oneounce: I see that was your first post so welcome you to the forum & hope to see more of you with your own tales of adventures & finds. What detector are you running or are you all very new to this. Any way....welcome aboard.

Digahole: Thanks mate. The gold I detect is up in the hills & miles away from present day water coarses so hasnt had the hammering that the flat pieces you find are getting. Saying that though they must have been subjected to some form of water related movement....may be....as they are rounded & smooth but as you see are more rolled & rounded than flat & squashed. The weired thing is that there are no water worn rounded river stones amongst the old turned over workings from the old timers. No stacked rock piles or even large rocks. So all a bit of a mystery that I have given up on trying to work out long ago. All I know is that the old timers found gold there & threw some out in there piles or just missed them all together & if I put in the milage & happen to wave my coli over some gold & it has my name on it then I will get some myself.

Garry: Thanks mate for your reply. I will send you a PM. Cheers

Gavin: Thank you. When was the last time you swung your 4500? I can imagine it being a pain in the butt on the west coast but you are finding some nice bits with the gold bug.

I am off on a solo mission shortly as Mrs JW has a wedding to video in Wanaka so I will head on up in to the hills & see what I can stumble across.

Cheers guys

Good luck out there

JW :)
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 18 October 2014 7:50:02 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Personally I'm not a gold fiend, but enjoyed reading this.
Thanks.
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 24 October 2014 5:39:15 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there Mudwiggle, Thank you for dropping bye & for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed it as that is what it is all about.

Best of luck to you out there

Foiled again  
Posted : Saturday, 25 October 2014 10:38:19 AM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Bloody awesome work as usual JW....makes a lot of us very envious!
Wish I had the long weekend off to go on a GOLD mish!!!! Bloody working Sat/Sun Grrrr!!!
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 1:36:19 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there Foiled again, Thanks mate for dropping in & for your kind remarks. I went up in the hills for you on saturday of labour weekend, since you were working, & this was my result. Not as good as the above result but managed 9 bits for just short of 2 grams. Biggest was .55 of a gram. Will do a post on the adventure & finds a bit later.

UserPostedImage

Dont work too hard :)

Good luck out there

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 7:24:09 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
That is a cool story.
How new/good is your detector?
I never imagined they'd detect such minute amounts.
Are you detecting in the North or other part of South Island? (no worries if you don't want to answer that)
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 October 2014 6:33:22 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there GoldPandemic, Thanks for your comments & glad you enjoyed the story. I am running a Minelab GPX 4500. A great detector. It is one model below Minelabs latest GPX detector which is the 5000. The 5000 itself has been out for quite a while now. I paid over 5k for the 4500 & that was second hand. A 5000 new is around NZ$9k. They can find pretty small gold alright.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I detect in Central Otago. It is big country so no problem in telling you that. LOL :)

Good luck out there