New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

shanghied  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 12:08:33 AM(UTC)
shanghied

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,
I have decided to have a go at finding some treasures and coins. Yesterday a bought a MD 3006SS Differentiation Metal Detector I have set it up as per instructions. The problem I am having with it is I cant stop it buzzing, so will have to replace batteries all the time. Unsure how to remedy this. I would appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.
Old Granny.
Erickd  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 12:42:11 AM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shanghied Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,
I have decided to have a go at finding some treasures and coins. Yesterday a bought a MD 3006SS Differentiation Metal Detector I have set it up as per instructions. The problem I am having with it is I cant stop it buzzing, so will have to replace batteries all the time. Unsure how to remedy this. I would appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.
Old Granny.

Have you tried it outdoors away from power lines etc ? Other than it could be ground balance setting

Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
shanghied  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 12:57:12 AM(UTC)
shanghied

Originally Posted by: Erickd Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,
Old Granny.

Have you tried it outdoors away from power lines etc ? Other than it could be ground balance setting

Could this be called Ground control. I have been outside with it, and not near power lines. thanks for your help.
oroplata  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 1:14:45 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

I doubt you'll find much with that. I hope you didn't pay a lot of money for it.

Erickd  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 11:15:14 AM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

I doubt you'll find much with that. I hope you didn't pay a lot of money for it.

Was going to say that but was trying to be polite.
Yes get rid of it and get something better for a beginner, either Fisher F2
or Garrett 150 if it's a money issue.

Silver coins -400
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
shanghied  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 4:20:28 PM(UTC)
shanghied

Can anyone answer my original post. The detector is brand new. not 2nd hand.

c4bb0ose  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 4:49:29 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Hi everyone,
Old Granny.

"To adjust the GROUND:
1. Set MODE SELECTOR (6) to VLF position and lower the search coil to 1/2 to 2 inches above the ground.
2. If the pointer swings to the right, turn GROUND CONTROL (7) to the left, if the pointer swings to the left, turn GROUND CONTROL to the right.
3. Raise the search coil to the height of your knee and press the RED BUTTON on the handle. The pointer returns to the center (10).
4. Repeat Steps 1-3 until the pointer stays close to the center each time you lower the search coil to the ground.
After you set GROUND CONTROL, the detector is set for the soil type at that particular site. Do not reset it until you use the detector at a different site.

http://www.thunting.com/...3006ss_vlf-t37250.0.html "

I found that on an old thread, although I assume that would be in your instruction manual.

Judging from the metal detector itself you paid very little for it and the reason for it is that the makers are based in china.

if you take a look inside one here http://yl2rmk.qrz.ru/md3006ss.html
There are what appear to be loose copper wire just chilling within the coil, that i think would be your issue, as anytime it was turned on it would immediately detect it.

In short I think you should return your MD and look at getting another one.
Erickd  
Posted : Sunday, 26 October 2014 5:01:25 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: c4bb0ose Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,
Old Granny.

"To adjust the GROUND:
1. Set MODE SELECTOR (6) to VLF position and lower the search coil to 1/2 to 2 inches above the ground.
2. If the pointer swings to the right, turn GROUND CONTROL (7) to the left, if the pointer swings to the left, turn GROUND CONTROL to the right.
3. Raise the search coil to the height of your knee and press the RED BUTTON on the handle. The pointer returns to the center (10).
4. Repeat Steps 1-3 until the pointer stays close to the center each time you lower the search coil to the ground.
After you set GROUND CONTROL, the detector is set for the soil type at that particular site. Do not reset it until you use the detector at a different site.

I found that on an old thread, although I assume that would be in your instruction manual.

Judging from the metal detector itself you paid very little for it and the reason for it is that the makers are based in china.

There are what appear to be loose copper wire just chilling within the coil, that i think would be your issue, as anytime it was turned on it would immediately detect it.

I second that motion

Silver coins -400
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 27 October 2014 11:26:33 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Can anyone answer my original post. The detector is brand new. not 2nd hand.

I wrote this b4 I saw C4's post

Hi

If its NEW then can I suggest that you read the manual again until you are familiar with what it is the manual is telling you as I suspect you will find it hard to get advise off someone who has owned that particular model -

Dont listen about getting rid of the metal detector as your one will be fine for starting out in this hobby to see whether or not its your cup of tea -

Perhaps also use Uncle Google in an effort to find a support group for your metal detector -

Good luck and welcome to the hobby

Edited by user Monday, 27 October 2014 11:31:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 27 October 2014 11:29:34 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: c4bb0ose Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,
Old Granny.

"To adjust the GROUND:

What a great response for someone so new to this forum - Bloody awesome

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
shanghied  
Posted : Monday, 27 October 2014 7:22:34 PM(UTC)
shanghied

Thanks everyone, I will do all that you have advised then look at returning it if no good. It was $110. Have done as manual says and will be ringing the Company tomorrow.
Thanks again. Del.
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 October 2014 9:08:40 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Good luck out there Shanghied, hope it all works out for you.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz