New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 5:56:55 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, MMMmmmm.....Where to go today?? I decided on some old workings I had never been to before & that was because they are pretty remote & up in the high country & required a bit of a hike to get into them. Having to back pack in my gear I went in quite light. Broke down the 4500 & just took in the NF 12 x 7 & the NF 17 x 11, a bottle of water only half full as I knew there would be some snow melt coming down the little creeks that in summer will be bone dry. Cant get much fresher, purer water than that. Couple of muslie bars, a banana & a tin of tuna in lemon & pepper.
I drove as far as I could get & then the hike began. The plan was to walk up to an old dissused mining water race & use that as a flat level walking "track" until I got to a steep sided gorge where I had to go more verticle.
Then the walk was on. Followed the old water race as far as I could & then it was up to the remains of the old pack track.
The "track" turning in to the steep gorge. Notice straight ahead the schist tilted at more than 45 degree's past horozontial.

UserPostedImage

Narrow pack track right foreground heading off ahead around the bluffs. Imagine traversing this in winter back in the gold rush days when it was covered in snow & ice with pack horse & the miners in their hob nail boots.

UserPostedImage

I got up to the first of the old workings.

UserPostedImage

I dropped the pack & assembled the detector. Had a swig of water & I was in to it. MMMmmm....first thing I noticed was quite a few old detector dig holes. BUGGER. Ended up getting nothing.....not even a .22 shell, bullet head or shotgun pellet. Man that has to be a first.

I saw down the end of the old water race some workings that looked to have a bit of exposed bed rock, something I came to realise these sluiced gully workings seemed to lack a lot of......exposed bed rock. MMMMM that wasnt a good sign

I guess the old timers must have started at this far end with the water race & then worked their way back spilling the water down the gullies as they drew back.
I got nothing here either but again saw many old detector dig holes & scrapes.

I dropped down to the tiny creek in the bottom of the gully & hit on some few exposed bits of bed rock. Saw an old dig hole that had been back filled with rocks. I got a signal in it & ended up with the remains of an old tin match box. Bugger. I then moved about two feet away & got another loud signal & though it would just be some more from this old tin match box. As signals were few & far between I dug down on to it. I was in to a soft layer of rotten brown schist. I wasnt sure if it was true bed rock or just a buried slab from the old timers.

UserPostedImage

I got the signal in to my hand & whittled it down to this.

UserPostedImage

a .55 gram slug.....YE Ha You beauty....bout bloody time.

But that was all from this lot of workings. Man I put in some yards & that was it. Looked like some more walking to find some more workings. There was no shortage of those but I just couldnt see any bed rock in amongst them. As the old timers had plenty of water they would have washed the dirt very well & the pile of stacked rocks were just that....stacked rock. So I shoulded the back pack & kept on walking. I find it hard to comprehend how this water worn gold is up in these high remote gullies. But these rocks are water worn...no doubt about it. So obviously an old river channel. How the hell did the old timers even think to look here??

UserPostedImage

But no bed rock.....so I thought my best bet was to detect down the little water gutter/tail races hoping some gold got caught up that the old timers hadnt seen. I got a nice sounding signal & dug down to a gravely clay layer & the signal was still there

UserPostedImage

YES YES YES a bit of gold.

UserPostedImage

Moved on around these workings. Man was it hard work even trying to find a good spot to detect. Nothing but piles of stacked rocks & tail races. A bit of rotten schist bed rock right foreground but there were old detector dig holes in it. DAMN. This pic will give you an idea of how high up these workings are when you look way down gully there are more old workings. Also gives you an idea of how steep & rugged the surroundings are.

UserPostedImage

Found an old sluice fork.

UserPostedImage

Day light was soon coming to an end & I had a bit of a hike back to my wagon so I made the call to bail. I ended up taking what I thought would be a short cut back to the old pack track from where I was. I had to negotiate a steep gorgy gully, as the crow flies, to an old water race I could see on the opposite side that would make for easier walking until I hit the pack track. MMMmmm.....the steep gorgy gully was just that....a steep gorgy gully. I had to walk further & further up hill until I got past some steep vertical drops until I could get down & across the little creek & then up to the water race. So much for the short cut. But I came across some schist bed rock that was up on edge. I turned on the detector & was gobsmacked to get a signal straight away.

UserPostedImage

A small bit of gold

UserPostedImage

To cut a long repetitive story short. This happened 6 more times. Only down fall was that the sun was going fast & I still had to walk back to my wagon. Bloody gold. On the upside. Otago has a long twilight after the sun has gone down but I had to stop detecting & hit the track. I got back to my wagon at 9:30. I wouldnt have wanted to be any later as there were parts of the track that in behind spurs & gulleys away from the west were quite dark & difficult to see my footing.

So end result was 9 pieces for not even 2 grams but with unfinished business.

UserPostedImage

Cheers & good luck out there

JW :)

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 9:06:30 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Good story thanks.
Hope you carry a PLB being up there on your own.
The guys that dug the tracks and the race's out must have done it hard.

Must be quite a buzz being so remote now in these places that were once a hive
of activity.

MK

sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 9:18:53 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Thanks for sharing that with us kiwijw -

I now see what makes electronic prospecting such a draw card -

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 9:49:25 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Great photos and story. I can see there is much more to it than just swinging the coil and digging nuggets.
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 12:41:21 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Love your stories mate! :)
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 7:00:46 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there guys, Many thanks for the kind words & positive feedback. You know......I have said this before & will say it again.....it isnt always about the gold but about the places you get in to. The adventures that unfold. Half the buzz is finding & exploring these out of the way places & coming across things like that old sluice fork. Makes you wonder who was the last person to have touched it....or the last person who actually used it for the last time back in the day. The scenery & the things you see being out in nature. Spring is such a neat time to be up in the hills. Silly things like the thyme bushes being out in purple flower. Hill sides just covered in it. The lizards, skinks & geckos being quite active with the days getting warmer.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The little high country alpine succulants out in flower. Butterflys & The bubbling babbling flow of the snow melt coming down little creeks & ravins that in a months time will be bone dry for ages. The big open spacers with not a soul to be seen. The peace & the quiet & tranquility of it all. The discovery of moa bones sticking out of a dry creek bank. Stumbling on to an old chinese rock shelter hut way up in the middle of no where.... All that sort of stuff Ok...that may sound all sissy & that... but it is real & food for the soul when you are amongst it. All that comes in to the equation. Gold being just be a bonus but I dont dwell on it if I find nothing. The days/weekends outing more than enough for the adventures & discoveries made.
So yes....there is way more to it than just detecting for gold. The gold is just an excuse to get out there.

Thanks again.

Cheers & good luck out there.

chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 October 2014 11:26:57 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Great posts once again! Don't you get a bit lonely doing all those trips alone? I much prefer some company when prospecting but everyone is different when it comes to their own company I guess.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 October 2014 7:31:55 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Good to see your posts JW. Makes me itch to get out there and find some yellow. Will have to wait for the Christmas break for that though... Amazing the gold you have been getting wight that big coil!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 October 2014 7:16:27 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there Chrischch, Thanks for dropping in & for your comments. My wife comes with me on many occasions & she has found her share of gold but she is pretty impacient & if it isnt forthcoming quickly then she will just kick back in the Otago sun & read a mag & do the cross word. I dont mind at all roaming around by myself. I guess I am a bit of a loner so dont mind my own company. I like to be able to take my time & just be able to do what I want to do when I want to & do things at my own pace with out having to answer to or be dictated to by some one else. Bit selfish I guess but with detecting you just get lost in your own world & get in to a sort of zone.

Hi there Matt, I know you would be appreciating the gold fix stories & adventures as you have it in your blood too. Must be hard with you being up in Auckland. But then you have substatuted it with beach detecting. You need to go & catch up with Garry in Thames & go on a gold mission with him. He is due down in Otago soon with his new 2300 to find some real gold. LOL :)
Thanks for dropping bye.

Good luck out there