New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Darren  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 October 2014 8:54:49 AM(UTC)
Darren

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I managed to get a day off work and a break in the weather to head up to the nearest public fossicking area. After only 4 hours of digging I managed to get some decent gold, a couple of pieces of coarse, mostly fine, a few specks of flour which I suspect I might be losing a fair bit of.

All hand dug with a shovel and a plastic dog poop scoop, the sluice is a Keene A52 river powered sluice which I was test running with miners moss this time out to see if it aided in fine retention, the verdict is that it is no better or worse than the factory 'mat', What I did find quite useful was the 2 meter wrecking bar I bought off trademe for about $30-40, its a heavy bit of kit to lug into the bush but it makes de-rocking some seriously keyed in rocks incredibly easy.

4 Hours of digging

Im not sure how many grams that is (I don't have any scales), I don't suspect too much, but considering I was playing by the rules it goes to show you can still get enough gold to get excited about in the public fossicking areas playing within the rules, all in an afternoon.

Edited by user Wednesday, 29 October 2014 11:43:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sluicebox  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 October 2014 4:24:39 PM(UTC)
Sluicebox

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Great Work Darren,

Looks like a good haul for 4 hours work. I am going down the coro with my A52 next week to try a new spot. Hope I get as much as you. cheers