New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Darren  
Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 12:29:50 PM(UTC)
Darren

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I spent yesterday afternoon checking out some old gold workings on the Northbank just out of Blenheim, which included a trip to the old Wellington gold mine which had been on the cards for some time, with DOC having recently cleared the trails after tree felling its actually possible to get out to these places this summer.

Disclaimer; THIS IS A CLOSED AND POTENTIALLY UNSAFE GOLD MINE, I DO NOT RECOMMEND PEOPLE HUNT THIS PLACE OUT AND ENTER IT

The old stamping battery (two batteries of 5 stamps each) are still on site down by banks the Top Valley river (one of which has been stood up in its original spot), there are also two berdans and the camshaft and large steel pulleys, nothing remains of the original building, the pelton wheel or any of the fluming to supply water from the ridge above but there is still some remaining channels dug into the hillside.

UserPostedImage

The old battery camshaft and a large pulley wheel in the background

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

One of the old 'Stamps'

UserPostedImage

An old grinding ball from the Berdan

UserPostedImage

The two Berdans

UserPostedImage

A partially assembled battery

UserPostedImage

The track up to the mine is overgrown, its not sign posted, if you know where to look its not to find the benched trail that must have formed a tramway to across the creek from the mine site, the mine entrance proper requires serious bush bashing and scrambling over loose terrain with rotten birch providing nothing to hold onto, I do not recommend going this far.

The mine entrance

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Looking down the Adit, the reflection of eyes in the distance looking back

UserPostedImage

Timber supports, or what is left of the only one to be seen, there are also the odd railway sleeper in the floor along with rusty nails

UserPostedImage

Turns out those eyes were just a friendly owl, or a messenger of death if you are superstitious (halfway down the Adit)

UserPostedImage

Looking up the ventilation shaft, the white stuff on the walls is frost (its serious cold and damp in here)

UserPostedImage

And finally at the end of the mine, this is the area of stooped out quartz, after being in the mine it was hardly suprising this company never did well. The quartz wasn't particularly rich and its plain for all to see here that there wasn't even that much of it.

UserPostedImage
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 12:55:22 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
It would be interesting to see if they were actually onto something or not with modern day prospecting equipment. Pity there are no millionaires who could afford to pay someone to do it, or buy the equipment.
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 7:25:52 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
You should start a book, keep adding to it as you do more trips. Would make good reading for newbies
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Darren  
Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 7:43:11 PM(UTC)
Darren

New Zealand

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
You should start a book, keep adding to it as you do more trips. Would make good reading for newbies

Gold in a tin dish is the name of what you are thinking of Mat!!!!

I have toyed with the idea of starting a blog, something a bit more developed then your normal hobby blog, using a bit of the old like what you will find in papers past to build a picture of how things used to be and a bit of the new like WGS84 GPS co-ordinates and Google satellite imaging to build a picture of where things are at right now. Provided things are kept to a certain quality in terms of pictures taken and historical research I think things have the potential to snowball as more and more content is added. Keeping things open sourced and free to view in an environment which is encouraging of contributions, allowing those who have their own story to tell a platform to do it.
There is a pretty big gap in this community now we are in the digital age, it is so much easier to find things out from a laptop or even a cellphone than it is to head down to the local library and thumb from page to page in a book that has been out of print for decades.

Its just an idea that struck me a week or two back, there really isn't anything like that out there, so I might look into doing something like that when the next winter comes and I am trapped inside by short days and bad weather.
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 3 November 2014 8:21:08 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Sure there is gold in a tin dish but it would be cool to record what and where things are in the present day. I have come across many gold workings in my travels and have always thought about recording their location etc. but have always been too preoccupied with trying to find gold instead...
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
FossickFester  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 2:46:34 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Can anyone here give me the location to where this place is, I would really like to check this place out over summer.
Thanks in advance :)
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 3:23:15 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FossickFester Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone here give me the location to where this place is, I would really like to check this place out over summer.
Thanks in advance :)

This might be the one...
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-an...orthbank-walking-tracks/
FossickFester  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 November 2014 6:58:36 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Cheers guys, I've got the info i was after. :)
andyK  
Posted : Monday, 8 June 2015 11:21:21 AM(UTC)
andyK

New Zealand

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Been up there several times haven't as yet found that entrance wasnt sure if it was too the left or right of stamp and how far into the bush it was
simon  
Posted : Monday, 8 June 2015 11:15:23 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
awesome post and photos to match. this site needs more of this sort of content. i know myself that half the fun of going out mining is discovering what went on back in the day.

There must have been something there you'd think for them to put in all that effort. guess it must have cut out. is there just the one shaft in the area.
andyK  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 June 2015 11:20:34 AM(UTC)
andyK

New Zealand

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
There was the jubilee mine at the start of the valley decent size shaft there and various other workings they had the omdurman dredge there too at one stage