New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
gavzilla  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 December 2014 6:07:53 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
[img=http://UserPostedImage]gold[/img]

[img=http://UserPostedImage]more gold[/img]
File Attachment(s):
gavzilla  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 December 2014 6:10:09 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

A busy Wednesday in queenstown
Henry S  
Posted : Thursday, 25 December 2014 7:11:34 PM(UTC)
Henry S

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well done gavzilla! nice to see there's still some decent sizes for the picking,
gavzilla  
Posted : Thursday, 25 December 2014 11:00:47 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

G'day henry, yer there's a few nice nuggets still about. Have definitely had my best year fossicking this year. Nice to see another queenstowner on here, most have disappeared lately
Henry S  
Posted : Friday, 26 December 2014 8:31:12 AM(UTC)
Henry S

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

No doubt we will catch up somewhere in a creek / river around the area ,Do you have the Nissan Terrano?

gavzilla  
Posted : Friday, 26 December 2014 8:38:14 AM(UTC)
gavzilla

I had a terrano until the arrow river claimed it as its own now I have a safari.
Henry S  
Posted : Friday, 26 December 2014 8:56:21 PM(UTC)
Henry S

Man
New Zealand

UserPostedImage

More Queenstown X-mas gold !

Edited by user Friday, 26 December 2014 9:04:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gold n Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 26 December 2014 10:03:00 PM(UTC)
Gold n Kiwi

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Great finds Gav and Henry...out of curiosity are the finds by detector, dredge or hand sluicing?
Rob.
Henry S  
Posted : Friday, 26 December 2014 11:11:23 PM(UTC)
Henry S

Man
New Zealand

Shovel and pan in public prospecting area...
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Saturday, 27 December 2014 8:54:19 AM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Henry S Go to Quoted Post
Shovel and pan in public prospecting area...

Damn, I was up there a couple of weeks ago, did not find anything so must have been looking in all the wrong places.
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 27 December 2014 9:57:21 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Nice finds guys. I did it tuff & camped way up Skippers for two days. Man it was hot xmas day where I was detecting. Damn hard access. Not a breath of wind & not much gold either. Just a few small bits & nothing like that nice piece you got Gav. Well done.
I am off on another mission right now.

Good luck to you all out there.

JW :)
gavzilla  
Posted : Monday, 29 December 2014 8:28:12 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Did you go towards deep creek jw? I wandered that way last month, it's a long way over the green gates saddle. 6 hours return. Managed to find a way down a bluff into the creek, nice gold all round there, just a mini mission to get it.
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 3 January 2015 5:53:26 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Gavzilla, Not quite Deep Creek but not too far from it. A gully or two near it though. Dont want to give too much away. LOL :) wink wink, nudge nudge.

Good luck out there.

gavzilla  
Posted : Saturday, 3 January 2015 8:05:27 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

I don't suppose you know the history of deep creek jw re; past claims ect? I heard that there used to be a remote community in Maori gully back in the day, of some 30+ miners and family's, And some of the best gold around skippers was found hydrosluicing the hills in this area. Same guy who told me the story also claimed to have lived/worked between coronet creek saddle and deep creek for a couple of months and detected 18oz of nuggets during the time there. I have been to the saddle and could quite believe the story, there's quite a historical show of huge intensity up there, tailings and storage ponds, water races ect. Makes me wander why it's not claimed now considering the colours u find around there.
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 January 2015 5:55:08 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Gav, I dont know too much about Deep Creek. Just a few bits & pieces that I have come across in general research that wasnt too detailed really. Just that it was worked for gold with good success so I guess it stands to reason that there will still be gold in there. As we know....no one gets it all. As the guy you talked to who got 18 ounces proved. That was a good effort & a good result for a couple of months. I suppose it is strange that it hasnt got a claim on it but when you weigh up all the pros & cons of claiming it & actually getting stuck in to mine it.....will the results be worth it. Could be a go for a group of like minded people to all chip in & then have some where to legally go to have a play. Access is always an issue. Kind of place you would need to camp in there to have a good go at it & getting your gear in there etc.
I dont generaly detect creeks, especialy around here as they are mostly taken up in claims. Not that I see any one working them. I found a couple of nuggets up Skippers Creek xmas day as that wasnt claimed, or it didnt use to be that last time I looked. On getting home I looked up on the permit map & now see that it does have a claim on it as of late last year. So there is another area out of bounds. Didnt see a soul up there though.
Golds a funny thing though. I was sluice boxing in the public area up the Arrow one evening recently. Got some nice colour too but the sandies were driving me nuts so I went off for a detect. Well bugger me.....I found two nice little nuggets that werent even on or in bed rock. Just mixed up in the gravel. As they say, "Gold is where you find it". The reality is that those hills & general country side is salt & peppered with gold. Just a lot of dirt mixed up with it.

Here is my result from a long walk on sunday. 8 pieces for 4.5 grams. Biggest 1.4 grams

UserPostedImage

Good luck out there

gavzilla  
Posted : Thursday, 15 January 2015 6:01:21 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

It would be nice to get a "pay dirt" group claim in skippers for sure but it's hard trying to rouse up enough people to go in on it. I suppose you only need 4 or 5 serious guys though. My friend has a claim by the branches and he said that he got it for 5 thousand bucks. So it would only be a grand each plus fees.

Shame that the skippers creek got claimed recently, I found nice Quartz gold specimen in there over winter last year and thought I was close to a seam as all the gold I found was rough and pitted, wander if the new claim owner will let me snipe it for the location info!!
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 January 2015 9:37:02 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
if you want to peg out a claim you better be quick on the east Shotover catchment and the Arrow Catchment areas. QE2 trust covenants are going to be placed over the balance of Mutt's land (Coronet Station, Motatapu Station, Mt Soho Station and Glencoe Station) that isnt being used for agriculture. So if your creek bed is part of any of these titles, getting a claim is going to be almost impossible over any of these stations. Existing claims will be able to continue with there rights, but areas like deep creek are going to get the Greenie protection stamp.

So some of you are going to need the new stealth dredge I currently have on the drawing board, invisible to all Greenies, LOL :-).
Jacko  
Posted : Saturday, 31 January 2015 9:43:36 AM(UTC)
Jacko

New Zealand

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavzilla Go to Quoted Post
I had a terrano until the arrow river claimed it as its own now I have a safari.

I'm sorry but i had to crack up at that :) it might have done you a favour though, Hard to beat a safari, monster machines that dont stop!
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 August 2015 9:19:38 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I have a question regarding this QE2 covent over most of the gold bearing region around here.
My question is when was the cut off date for this? I see Franz has a permit pending for Deep Creek dating back to March i think.
So if there is now a covenant blocking new permits on all of Mutt Lange's land, then why has this permit application of Franz's been allowed to be lodge. I presume he has paid his dues regarding this. If no further permits will be issued then why has his permit been allowed to be lodged but is yet to be granted?
A second question arising from this is the obvious one regarding existing permits on the same lands. What is the plan for these? One would presume that if gold mining is now a no no then why are existing permits not cancelled, and will these existing permits now face non-renewal once they come up for renewal.
Really these lands are all about gold mining. its the history of the place. i get the idea of protecting historical sites and their relics relating to this mining but this has been in place anyway. in reality mining in some form or another has never stopped in these places. so what is the problem. isn't the idea to allow the people to use and enjoy the land whilst keeping it as it is?
I struggle to see where these stations are headed. How can the utopia of some people's dreams become reality when the land has been stocked and pastured. I don't see how it can return to exactly how it was as long as introduced flora and fauna exists. the balance won't return and the battle to control pests will be ongoing. I'm not against what is trying to be done here but the grasses sown over tussock lands won't ever return to how it was. wipe out the goats for example and what eats the new growth of grasses and broom and pines?
I presume sheep will continue to graze here too so how does that fit in. I'm guessing they will retire some higher ground? but won't this upset the balance for sheep feed over the seasons?
Sorry, my one question has turned into many.
Golddigger7  
Posted : Thursday, 6 August 2015 11:17:39 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Hey Simon

Good questions all.

The QE2 trust is not a government body, so is a step removed. You are of course assuming that goverment depts actually coordinate with each other, lol, unlikely when fees are being charged.

For the record, Mutt bought some sheep stations, and possible only one of them has been tenure reviewed, Motatapu from memory. So therefore he only owned a pastoral licence over the other three being Glencoe, Soho and Coronet Stations. Therefore this land is owned by the Crown, and is in all probability administered by LINZ. Now for the interesting part. How did Mutt move his OIO obligations, like building public access tracks and eradicating weeds and put them into NZ agencies hands like the QE2 trust, and say he was giving land back to NZers, LOL, the land is already owned by the Crown ie NZers. Its like selling poer stations back to the people who paid for them in the first place.

Sorry getting off track here a bit, Mining permits can actually be applied for over anything you like, I think with the exception of National Parks, and reserves, and they can even go as far as to be granted. It is up to the permit holders to get rights of access to the minerals and all necessary consents. So the deep Creek application may still be granted, Franz will then have to arrange access to the minerals with the affected parties, which in this case will be QE2 trust, Mutt and Linz, as the management groups and landowners.

It wont necessarily be impossible, but I can imagine that there is going to be a lot of reports and guarantees and bonds to be put in place. The QE2 trust is not strictly opposed to mining, but they will consider on a case by case basis. They are on a learning curve with this area as well, this is the largest covenant area that they have had to administer, and they are aware of all the inerested parties on all sides of the fence so to speak.

With respect to existing claims, if the access rights have been established, then these area accepted. If the rivers are large enough, ie and have a legal marginal strip, then the riverbed is separate from the run titles, for example, most of the Arrow River outside of the run parcel boundaries, and therefore are unaffected by the QE2 covenant. deep crk and many others around the same size and smaller dont have this luxury. The way to find out who owns the river bed and what title it is on, and who mamagers it, is to request a land Status report from LINZ, and I recommend that should be your first step if considering a claim application. While you think that QE2 might be a hurdle, consider how high the hurdle is if Doc manages it.

GD7

2 Pages12>