New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

only1gold  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 8:54:21 AM(UTC)
only1gold

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi guys, I've been doing quite a bit of investigating for my first sluice box.
I have been looking for one which is within the $200-$300 range and has various layers that are removable and possibly interchangeable, plus it needs to be heavy duty etc. All the basics.
I've found a few, but I find that the keene sluice box sticks out because it seems more robust and all compared to others. I also like the idea of the steps, adds more areas for current to hold the gold down.

UserPostedImage

Just would like to know peoples thoughts and if someone has experience or seen one in action?

Thanks!

Edited by user Tuesday, 19 July 2011 8:56:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

O1G
Shelia  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 9:25:14 AM(UTC)
Shelia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I've just bought one & with the high NZ $$ it only worked out at $150NZ (freight was about the same). Comes with a helpful magazine. It is certainly robust but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Have panned recently near the Danseys but need heavy duty gloves before I get in that water again. Brrrr.
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 11:09:54 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Hey sheila, my mate up in blenheim has one of these sluice boxes and they seem to work pretty good and are lightweight so its a good buy. Did u recently buy a detector? Hows that going for ya. As for the water... I try to keep out of it at this time of the year there is plenty of gold on the banks.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 11:48:04 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi guys dan at dredgenz has those sluice,s mite even have 1 instock not shure what there worth but certianly is a good time to buy gear from the states at the mo.
stressless  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 6:27:54 PM(UTC)
stressless

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi O1G

I have a Keene Mini Sluice its a bit smaller than the one in your picture, its well made, the thing i like the most about it is the flare
comes off with a couple of bolts and fits into backpack so it discreet also great for very little water flow, the only down side is
its a bit slow being on the small side and easy to overload riffles but it suits where i go.

Cheers
only1gold  
Posted : Saturday, 23 July 2011 8:38:44 AM(UTC)
only1gold

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the responses guys. I am thinking of this one: http://www.keeneeng.com/...&Category_Code=GPHSS
It's a step up from the one I showed before.
O1G
Shelia  
Posted : Saturday, 23 July 2011 10:01:15 AM(UTC)
Shelia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Good choice. As mentioned by Stressless, the flare is easily removed. I've made a bag for it to make it all look a bit more discreet & perhaps make it look as though I am illegally fishing rather than illegally looking for gold. Incidentally, I have only been caught once. After a day of trying 3 different rivers in Southland I got flagged down on the road & a bloke told me the 2nd river I was at was better than the other 2. A bit creepy.