New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

zimbo  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 8:46:07 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 18 post(s)
hello fellow fossicker a photo of some flood gold i got sluicing the public fossicking area

Edited by user Thursday, 21 July 2011 8:48:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
KraziKiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 8:55:58 PM(UTC)
KraziKiwi

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Good effort keep up the hard work ...it does pay off!!!
gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 10:43:24 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Well done Zimbo, and you've done a damn fine job getting rid of that abundant black sand.
starflash  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 10:56:04 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
nice, that would weigh up all right im sure. damn stuck up here, would rather be doing what you are up too
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 21 July 2011 11:04:47 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
I would be stoked to find that.
Bet it took quite a bit of effort though.
well done.
zimbo  
Posted : Friday, 22 July 2011 8:54:34 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
Well done Zimbo, and you've done a damn fine job getting rid of that abundant black sand.

it takes me a about half a hour per pan slow but, not worth loosing any bits
zimbo  
Posted : Friday, 22 July 2011 9:00:23 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
I would be stoked to find that.
Bet it took quite a bit of effort though.
well done.

about 4 afternoons of sluicing the paydirt from the first 2foot of the river bed got 4.1 grams in total
x-terra steve  
Posted : Friday, 22 July 2011 10:37:42 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Very nice Zimbo!!,good to see you braving the winter,
steve
zimbo  
Posted : Saturday, 23 July 2011 8:17:01 AM(UTC)
zimbo

Originally Posted by: x-terra steve Go to Quoted Post
Very nice Zimbo!!,good to see you braving the winter,
steve

its not to bad i have got me a pair of neoprene waders, dive groves and i also use 7mm sleeves off a old wet suit. it gets quiet toasty once you get going
simon  
Posted : Saturday, 23 July 2011 10:58:45 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
hi zimbo. it was good to meet up with you and do some sluiceboxing the other day. good to see you are also still out there and into it. everyone else round here seems to have given up because they reckon its cold. i reckon its the time to get out there. true, its cold but like you said it gets pretty hot once you get working.

i went out on wednesday. worst part was stopping when it got dark. wasn't really cold until i got home and had to get out of my neoprene at the back door. i think my feet nearly froze to the cobbles.

have you tried just panning down your fines a good deal and then taking them home to dry and blow. after a few summers down at the shotover most days i collected buckets of the stuff. black sand that is. i dry it out usually after each days sluicing. then put it on a white piece of paper and blow the sands away leaving just the gold. a very tedious process if you have to do it every day. eventually i got a little plastic concentrates sluice that i hook up to the garden tap. took a bit of fiddling to get the right water flow and it seems to work well. from what i would have thrown away i recovered a further few grams per bucket of blacksand. and once you have a paint bucket full of blacksand you can really appreciate how bloody heavy the stuff is in comparison to gravels.

we should get together again for some more sluicing if you're keen. i haven't been up the arrow for a bit. it frustrates me how much blacksand there is there. i have noticed that the channel by arrowtown is dropping quite a bit now that the flood training line wall seems to be a permanent feature behind the town. as you go up the macetown track you can really notice it. right next to the track its now nearly a metre drop off. used to be pretty much the same height as the track just at the top end of the gravel wall.

they reckon by town the overburden from mining is 12 metres thick. a guy using a hydraulic elevator at the 100 anniversary of the gold rush got down that far and found a claim peg in place. it used to be a bit of a gorge but i guess it is the first possible place to back up from all the sluicings off the tops of the gorge.

i see there are many claims in for the whole river so might soon be stuck in the side creeks and the public area.
zimbo  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2011 9:53:06 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
hi zimbo. it was good to meet up with you and do some sluiceboxing the other day. good to see you are also still out there and into it. everyone else round here seems to have given up because they reckon its cold. i reckon its the time to get out there. true, its cold but like you said it gets pretty hot once you get working.

i went out on wednesday. worst part was stopping when it got dark. wasn't really cold until i got home and had to get out of my neoprene at the back door. i think my feet nearly froze to the cobbles.

have you tried just panning down your fines a good deal and then taking them home to dry and blow. after a few summers down at the shotover most days i collected buckets of the stuff. black sand that is. i dry it out usually after each days sluicing. then put it on a white piece of paper and blow the sands away leaving just the gold. a very tedious process if you have to do it every day. eventually i got a little plastic concentrates sluice that i hook up to the garden tap. took a bit of fiddling to get the right water flow and it seems to work well. from what i would have thrown away i recovered a further few grams per bucket of blacksand. and once you have a paint bucket full of blacksand you can really appreciate how bloody heavy the stuff is in comparison to gravels.

we should get together again for some more sluicing if you're keen. i haven't been up the arrow for a bit. it frustrates me how much blacksand there is there. i have noticed that the channel by arrowtown is dropping quite a bit now that the flood training line wall seems to be a permanent feature behind the town. as you go up the macetown track you can really notice it. right next to the track its now nearly a metre drop off. used to be pretty much the same height as the track just at the top end of the gravel wall.

they reckon by town the overburden from mining is 12 metres thick. a guy using a hydraulic elevator at the 100 anniversary of the gold rush got down that far and found a claim peg in place. it used to be a bit of a gorge but i guess it is the first possible place to back up from all the sluicings off the tops of the gorge.

i see there are many claims in for the whole river so might soon be stuck in the side creeks and the public area.

Always keen mate , maybe you could show me some shots up 12mile, i went out on Saturday but only for a few hours before it started snowing, manage to get 0.51 grams of the flaky stuff . better then a poke in there eye, that sort of concentrator do you use , i am thinking of getting one.
under the bedrock  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2011 10:13:42 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
and i thought i was mad lol
cavey  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2011 10:44:32 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi Zimbo

Good to see some one keen great photos and nice looking gold great stuff ,Arrowtown a great place.

cavey
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2011 10:50:59 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
zimbo,

here is the link to the plastic gold concentrator. i'm sure there's probably something better out there but this was cheap and seems to do the job once you learn how much to regulate the water flow.

http://www.goldminingnz....sluice-concentrator.html

sorry, didn't take my camera up the creek. was extreme though on saturday wasn't it. lost many good sized rocks that turned out to be iced up when i picked them up. sluicebox froze up on walk back to the carpark. was nice and warm until i stopped to talk to some guys that came by. i could only dig under the surface as the ground was pretty solid. a heap of water in the creek at the moment cos of all the snowfall.

i'd be keen to try the arrow or a side creek with you on saturday if you're free.
zimbo  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 July 2011 8:43:51 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
zimbo,

here is the link to the plastic gold concentrator. i'm sure there's probably something better out there but this was cheap and seems to do the job once you learn how much to regulate the water flow.

http://www.goldminingnz....sluice-concentrator.html

sorry, didn't take my camera up the creek. was extreme though on saturday wasn't it. lost many good sized rocks that turned out to be iced up when i picked them up. sluicebox froze up on walk back to the carpark. was nice and warm until i stopped to talk to some guys that came by. i could only dig under the surface as the ground was pretty solid. a heap of water in the creek at the moment cos of all the snowfall.

i'd be keen to try the arrow or a side creek with you on saturday if you're free.

keen mate, il give you a txt if my plans change, i maybe working on saturday, thanks for the link il look into that, have you seen the bowl type concentrator from keene i wonder if there any good.
digger37  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 July 2011 9:20:46 PM(UTC)
digger37

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Nice Looking gold Zimbo,
Thats what I like to see, a keen man, didn't let a bit of snow stop ya!.

Digger