New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

ROCKY  
Posted : Saturday, 10 January 2015 11:56:55 AM(UTC)
ROCKY

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

An introduction...Spent the last 15 years in Australia and returned home to NZ last year.

Now semi retired (Just tired really!!) but have the time to indulge in a few things that have been on the list for a while.

MD has long been an interest (Mostly coins/relics etc) but I have not had the time to get really involved until now.
Was introduced to a Guy in Maryborough in Victoria, Australia by a friend who generously offered to take me out for a day and poke around for a little shiny stuff...a very interesting time, he had all the top end gear, Minelab GPX something and said he could probably live of his finds.
Was well known in the area and apparently some locals followed him from time to time to see where he was working!

He offered some good advice I felt...buy brand name equipment but it doesn't need to be expensive and practise, practise, practise until you learn what your MD is telling you...rip up the backyard if you have to but remember to reinstate it properly as well...one of the golden rules of detecting he said.
I asked what he would suggest would be a suitable unit for me given my prime interest in coins/relics.
He suggested either the Fisher F2 or the Teknetics Eurotek Pro, both similarily priced and both made by First Texas, he said he had used the Fisher and it performed very well but from reports he had heard the Eurotek may just have the edge.

So I guess here goes the first of what's likely to be many questions..
Are both the Fisher and Teknetics brands sold and supported in NZ, if so I assume by the same dealer given they are both from First Texas?
Secondly what is the feedback on either model, what performs best and why?

Cheers

Kevin
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 10 January 2015 9:29:42 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Firstly Fisher have an authorized dealer here in NZ - http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/

You will find the guys at Fisher to cater for your needs if you go with a F2/F5

If you are looking at a Teknetics Eurotek Pro then you will have to buy one in the US then ship it to NZ. Easy enough to do and cost competitive -

I have owned and still own both the units you mention and they are fantastic with the ETP taking the edge on depth, its uses 1 x 9v, iron audio is awesome & the fact that the ETP coils are interchangeable with 7 other First Texas units - Teknetics - Alpha - Delta - Gamma - Omega - G2 & Fisher F5 - Gold Bug

Handy if you are looking at building an arsenal of coils which can be used with both coin/relic machines as well as the gold machines mentioned -

Either way you should be happy however if you are looking for the latest technology with strong upgradable features then you need the ETP

Hope this helps
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
ROCKY  
Posted : Sunday, 11 January 2015 7:39:00 PM(UTC)
ROCKY

New Zealand

Thanks sycotoad...some useful info to work through.

Will contact http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz and see where that leads.

Would of thought that Fisher and Teknetics would be handled by the same dealer considering they are from the same family?