New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 1:00:36 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, it really sucks because you couldn't find a better spot for a competition. I will say that he was nice enough about it, but he really didn't want us detecting and kept telling me it was illegal. He also said it was illegal to detect at Gabriel's Gully because it was a historic location. Figure that out. In my mind there is nothing significant about a picnic ground; as was said above it is common knowledge that people camped there, what is there to learn? People took their buggy from my house, spent a weekend thee and then rode back. And 1900 really isn't what I would consider 'historic.' My deer rifle for example was made in 1904 and it isn't a collectable or anything, it is just a gun. I assume they picked 1900 because it sounded older than 2000 and covers just as much ground.

I considered moving the competition somewhere else, although there isn't any place anywhere that isn't pre-1900, but I was concerned that it would stir things up and be bad for detecting all around. I suggested that he work with the detecting community rather than oppose it because detectorists are a lot more likely to find significant sites, and that he should come and give a talk at the competition. He said he would, but at that point I thought it would be better to let things settle down. I am currently torn between thinking we should try and work with these people and thinking we should avoid them like the plague. I think they would gain a great deal by working with us, but I am not sure it would do us any good.

Your so right in every way Robert. The urge to do the right thing and try and work in with these guys is overwhelming but the risk factor of stirring things up is too much. There would have to be someone in the system who is on our side for the better good.
And yes we would all gain a great deal working together if that were the case.
Like many others, i would be unsure of the final outcome which i'm not convinced would be in our favour.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Golddigger7  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 1:26:39 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I think the key thing is whether the site is associated with human activity as per the act

2Interpretation
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,—
archaeological site means any place in New Zealand that—
(a)either—
(i)was associated with human activity that occurred before 1900; or
(ii)is the site of the wreck of any vessel where that wreck occurred before 1900; and
(b)is or may be able through investigation by archaeological methods to provide evidence relating to the history of New Zealand

with out knowing the area, it is hard to say whether it was associated with human activity, as you can see, the definition isnt really defined enuf, and people like schmidt can take a very hardlline unrealistic approach.

What would be better for New Zealanders as a whole would be that archaeologists be given 5 years to identify all the sites that they are interested in, once identified they have another five years to investigate, and compensate the landowner accordingly should they wish to list and protect a site.

This would get all this nonsense out of the way, with the process taking 10 years to get all the important sites listed, and people would then have certainty what they can do. Under this present Act, there is no sunset clause, so we are forever beholden with people who have there heads buried in the past.

The way I see it, there is nothing in the past now, that can help shape our technological future, except as a curiosity, and people and land shouldnt forever be held back by this unrealistic protection of the past.

GD7

creamer  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 1:49:23 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Thats it, an unrealistic protection of the past.
Why is it that that NZ doesn't want its past dug up. And why is it that when it is it's reburied in the dark confines of a room somewhere never to be seen again.
No wonder the historic society is nicknamed the hysterical society, even thats an understatement.

OMG!, look over there, there's someone digging up coins with a hand trowel, quick.. call the police.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
number8wire  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 4:52:21 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Firstly, let me just state for the record that what I have written below are purely my thoughts and ideas, and in no way express or imply the thoughts and comments of others on this forum...........that said;

The UK has the Portable Antiquities Scheme to register detectorists potentially historic and culturally significant finds. It seems to work well over there from what I've heard and read.
I guess what I'm getting at here is that although UK detectorists have the freedom (albeit under permit) to roam the English countryside coin and relic hunting (with significant historic site exceptions), they do have a certain obligation to declare potential treasure, trove and hoard finds to the Portable Antiquities Scheme....which is a prerequisite for gaining a detecting permit.
I personally have no problems with the NZ Archeological people setting up something similar for us her in NZ to use as a register for our potentially significant finds.
Currently, I use this forum and my page to do this very thing. Anything I believe is significant, I always show on my page. I keep details of where and when I made the find also.
Let me make it also very clear......I WILL NOT stop doing what I do. Just because I am not a registered archeologist, it does not mean that I do not care or have an understanding for what archeology represents in it's pure form.

If your reading this Mr S, please use this as food for thought.

You'll find that the majority of us coin and relic hunters using this forum are responsible and respectable detectorists who what nothing more than to preserve our heritage for future generations to enjoy. THIS CANNOT BE DONE BY LEAVING THEM TO ROT IN THE GROUND.

Once again, these are my thoughts...and my thoughts alone.

TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 5:57:04 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
The site obviously had humans on it before 1900. The local paper had an article on Tuesday about the 150th anniversary they will be having in a couple of weeks. I still do not see how this makes it a site of archaeological interest. Nobody lived there, nobody built anything there, it was simply a picnic ground. What you will find (and I have found) is coins, forks, spoons, pocket watches, and bits of horse gear. Because that is what people lose at a picnic ground. The only information that gives is that someone was camped out there eating, and we already know that. In my opinion there is very little of historical interest as far as Europeans are concerned anywhere in New Zealand; they simply haven't been here that long and where they were and what they did is pretty well documented. What they are excavating in Britton is stuff from the Romans and earlier; those people don't still have family on the farm, and the record of what they did and how they did it is not as clear. You find a viking picnic ground and I can see taking a professional look at it. But to say any place that had humans before 1900 is the domain of archeologists and you can't touch it is absurd. Why would anyone buy land? So you can pay the rates on it and maintain it, but if you so much as break the surface and potentially disturb possible artefacts (that are to be left in the ground) you get a $300,000 fine?
Golddigger7  
Posted : Saturday, 31 January 2015 8:31:31 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

I guess what really makes me see red is the way these archaeologists snoop around, instead of taking becoming a member of the forum and participating and taking a proactive approach, where all could learn, including themselves, they sit back and spook and eavesdrop etc....come Mr S and friends participate, sharing is caring, and who knows you may actually gain more knowledge this way, than sitting back and telling peeps not to dig anywhere anymore.

At the end of the day, we should get a little more formal and form a loby group to bend Johns ear a bit on the faults of the current legislation.

GD7
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 31 January 2015 10:08:03 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: number8wire Go to Quoted Post
Firstly, let me just state for the record that what I have written below are purely my thoughts and ideas, and in no way express or imply the thoughts and comments of others on this forum...........that said;

The UK has the Portable Antiquities Scheme to register detectorists potentially historic and culturally significant finds. It seems to work well over there from what I've heard and read.
I guess what I'm getting at here is that although UK detectorists have the freedom (albeit under permit) to roam the English countryside coin and relic hunting (with significant historic site exceptions), they do have a certain obligation to declare potential treasure, trove and hoard finds to the Portable Antiquities Scheme....which is a prerequisite for gaining a detecting permit.
I personally have no problems with the NZ Archeological people setting up something similar for us her in NZ to use as a register for our potentially significant finds.
Currently, I use this forum and my page to do this very thing. Anything I believe is significant, I always show on my page. I keep details of where and when I made the find also.
Let me make it also very clear......I WILL NOT stop doing what I do. Just because I am not a registered archeologist, it does not mean that I do not care or have an understanding for what archeology represents in it's pure form.

If your reading this Mr S, please use this as food for thought.

You'll find that the majority of us coin and relic hunters using this forum are responsible and respectable detectorists who what nothing more than to preserve our heritage for future generations to enjoy. THIS CANNOT BE DONE BY LEAVING THEM TO ROT IN THE GROUND.

Once again, these are my thoughts...and my thoughts alone.

Exactly right and to the point #8 however them there professionals have known about groups like ours for years yet their ego has failed their vision to put something like this into place thus far - I cannot help bet think that WE will have to do that for ourselves and rightfully so - at least we can identify a GOLDen opportunity when its under our nose, if you catch my drift -

I cannot help but think that it may be just about the right time we become a association or something similar (sorry Golddigger7 I didn't read your last post before I posted but YES you hit the nail on the head) -

Edited by user Saturday, 31 January 2015 10:12:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 31 January 2015 5:43:31 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Really diggin this post its cool even tho it's come about from unfortunate circumstances.
Detectorists cop flack, thats always going to happen, its true we dont have guidelines. Throw in legislation then what! We will have quidelines alright and we won't be able to breeze around freely as we do now.
Let us all be calm and ye shall prosper.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 31 January 2015 7:24:50 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Disagree regarding guidelines Creamer.
I think most of us on here, and a majority out there, operate under the basic agreed "code of conduct".

However there is always the guy who either a) buys a "treasure detector" after watching some TV show and will indiscriminately shovel anywhere in order to get their finds, or b) doesn't give the proverbial flying #### and nighthawk in areas they know are off limits.

Problem is, it's a very broad brush and we will always get properly tarred and feathered because of the few...

It was a very, very long road before the UK came up with the PAS as it is today, and whilst not perfect, it has come a long way to recognising that detectorists ARE out there, making finds.
True, there is still an extensive nighthawking community in the UK, but so much more is being recorded and reported today than was previously, and detectorists are becoming a lot more accommodating in reporting their finds.

...The cutoff for PAS reporting, incidentally, is pretty much 100 years before Europeans arrived in NZ. In NZ, at pre-1900, it's effectively anything European (with the Maori being a non-metal society). Different in the UK with a couple of thousand years of people dropping artifacts. Or throwing them around en mass as it seems the Romans did!

To the letter of the law:
I can't legally detect the property where my grandparents built their house and lived...Despite having personally talked to them in living history!
I cannot search for, and retrieve $1 dropped in a DOC reserve a week ago, as that would be removal of material... and a permit would need to be submitted! (I have argued this logic at length at a DOC office before giving up and going outside to bang head on wall!)

However, I CAN (theoretically) search a shipwreck of a vessel built in the 1700's but didn't sink until Jan 2nd 1900... Yes, very unlikely, but makes a point.

Commonsense doesn't exist in Law.

MW

Edited by user Saturday, 31 January 2015 8:03:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 1 February 2015 2:45:19 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
If nothing else guys we need to know more about these folks.
Don't call it a change of heart just yet but ignorance doesn't work either, be informed then make your choice. Could be difficult with so many grey areas but in those areas there may be flexilbility. Something to ponder...

I mean if I caught someone on my place and their excuse was "I didn't know I wasn't allowed to be here". I'd still set the wife on them! *8^)
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 1 February 2015 7:26:13 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guardian Go to Quoted Post
If nothing else guys we need to know more about these folks.
Don't call it a change of heart just yet but ignorance doesn't work either, be informed then make your choice. Could be difficult with so many grey areas but in those areas there may be flexilbility. Something to ponder...

I mean if I caught someone on my place and their excuse was "I didn't know I wasn't allowed to be here". I'd still set the wife on them! *8^)

Found this in my wanderings after recent events:
http://doc.govt.nz/global/train...rses/historic/index.html

And Guardian: Mate, my wife is probably waaaay scarier than yours! Should've seen her tear a strip off a couple of pighunters taking a shortcut across our block... I was the perfect husband for a couple of weeks afterwards!

sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 2 February 2015 12:38:00 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

So Mr Schmidt

You are obviously reading these posts and I am aware of the supposed good work you have done however it seems even then the lines have been blurred like your work at Price's Inlet. If you are so protective of so called historic places (even though it didn't meet the criteria) why would you let an article run telling the country about treasures that at that stage were unprotected, that seems rather arrogant and seemed more ego driven than protective.

Seems to me (and most likely others) the only thing you are trying to protect is your pay packet.

I encourage you to give us a response and maybe enlighten us on your twisted angle!

Maybe the caution tape should read 'Crime Scene'.

Good to put a face to the name.

Thanks Guardian

After looking into this crime scene a little further I happened across this -

"Environment Southland committed $10,000 from the marine fee reserve fund in October 2012 to help expedite the project’s process because of concerns about the site’s lack of protection against items being removed."

"Dr Schmidt said without the funding for the marine archaeological survey, protection for the marine heritage could not have been achieved."

So basically what Mr Scmidt has admitted to is, without the financial support from Environmental Southland of $10,000, yes ten thousand dollars, that very significant NZ history would have just wasted away - This then gets me thinking of how many sites around NZ are just going to waste because the powers that be cannot even come up with a measly $10K in saving their passion & our past -

What an eye opener this crowd has become - Imagine you held down an important position on say the Southland District Council and did not like metal detectorists - You only have to contact professionals in question and simply state that you no longer will fund future projects if you associate yourselves with a certain group - Far fetched???? - Who knows - Its easy to see how important 10k is to them in saving history - Its understandable from that story that this front that pretends to care about our history are actually financially crippled and dictate to people with the same passion who can recover the past in a professional manner at their own expense - by doing so are NOT held to ransom by another group with another agenda - perhaps some foresight into where one gets its funding from should be looked into -

Anyways I think this would make for interesting reading on a UK site - This type of story would have the UK Archaeologists up in arms to see how their NZ counterparts operate -

Edited by user Monday, 2 February 2015 12:46:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Erickd  
Posted : Monday, 2 February 2015 12:48:39 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sycotoad Go to Quoted Post
So Mr Schmidt

You are obviously reading these posts and I am aware of the supposed good work you have done however it seems even then the lines have been blurred like your work at Price's Inlet. If you are so protective of so called historic places (even though it didn't meet the criteria) why would you let an article run telling the country about treasures that at that stage were unprotected, that seems rather arrogant and seemed more ego driven than protective.

Seems to me (and most likely others) the only thing you are trying to protect is your pay packet.

I encourage you to give us a response and maybe enlighten us on your twisted angle!

Maybe the caution tape should read 'Crime Scene'.

Good to put a face to the name.

Thanks Guardian

After looking into this crime scene a little further I happened across this -

"Environment Southland committed $10,000 from the marine fee reserve fund in October 2012 to help expedite the project’s process because of concerns about the site’s lack of protection against items being removed."

"Dr Schmidt said without the funding for the marine archaeological survey, protection for the marine heritage could not have been achieved."

So basically what Mr Scmidt has admitted to is, without the financial support from Environmental Southland of $10,000, yes ten thousand dollars, that very significant NZ history would have just wasted away - This then gets me thinking of how many sites around NZ are just going to waste because the powers that be cannot even come up with a measly $10K in saving their passion & our past -

What an eye opener this crowd has become - Imagine you held down an important position on say the Southland District Council and did not like metal detectorists - You only have to contact professionals in question and simply state that you no longer will fund future projects if you associate yourselves with a certain group - Far fetched???? - Who knows - Its easy to see how important 10k is to them in saving history - Its understandable from that story that this front that pretends to care about our history are actually financially crippled and dictate to people with the same passion who can recover the past in a professional manner at their own expense - by doing so are NOT held to ransom by another group with another agenda - perhaps some foresight into where one gets its funding from should be looked into -

Anyways I think this would make for interesting reading on a UK site - This type of story would have the UK Archaeologists up in arms to see how their NZ counterparts operate -

Maybe post a link to some of our UK youtube brethren and get some of their point of views on this matter
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 2 February 2015 3:10:50 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

http://www.nzarchaeology...dwork%20Award%202014.pdf

they give out awards for publicly announcing places for relic thieves to plunder and being as isolated as it is - It will be plundered thanks to everyone concerned -

Well done Mr Schmidt

Edited by user Monday, 2 February 2015 5:09:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 2 February 2015 3:38:00 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

.For the record and no disrespect to everything you have/had done Rob I took it upon myself to contact the Regional Archaeologist of Otago/Southland for Heritage New Zealand and phoned them on Friday -

I got as far as their wonderful receptionist from memory (if position wrong I apologize) who was adamant that they DID indeed want to work with our group and she kept on stating that to me on the phone - Unfortunately the person she wanted to put me through to was not there and promised they would return the call first thing today (Monday) -

Edited by user Monday, 2 February 2015 5:10:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 2 February 2015 4:30:24 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Softly, softly catchee monkey.
Erickd  
Posted : Monday, 2 February 2015 4:43:36 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Just a thought here, but in the 1930s a fair few farmers grew potatoes to help with the depression, and when it came to harvest time the unemployed ( fair few of them) and army were called in to help dig and pack into sacks, make shift camps were set up on various fields through out the south island, if we could find out the locations and ask Mr farmer for permission then maybe that could be an option for the champs ? I'm sure the Historic value is not enough to bother Mr S ???
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 2 February 2015 5:06:10 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Softly, softly catchee monkey.

As always Guardian, words of wisdom as opposed to my hysteria - sorry about that guys, I'm am just so passionate about this hobby & have taken a lot of shit standing up for it, so I tend to dig my toes in when things go bad -

Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 February 2015 4:00:09 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

interesting award for Herr Schmidt...an award for bring our colourful POST 1900 history to light, when does an archaelogist simply turn to historian, at least an historian can work within current records and not need to go out in the field that much. Sice this post started I have been looking at an achaelogical dig currently underway in down town Queenstown, my first impressions are

<they could do with an expert metal detectorist on site, cos they would get results a lot faster for metal objects, and they may find more than the limited ones they are finding.
<it looks like a complete waste of time, as there looks like no continuity on the site, a few old brick foundations here, some old stone cobbles there, should I tell them about the big old tree that used to grow in the middle of the site, or should I let them tediously work it out.
<this is obviously a site that is being used as an archaeologist student training site, and the work methodology being undertaken looks quite abstract.

I will get a photo of the site on here later, but my initial thoughts after looking at this one is that perhaps the only reason for keeping archaelogical sites locked down is to give work experience to archaeological students, so everyone has to pay the price for providing work experience to our arty inclined students who cant face the reality of getting qualified for proper jobs :-D or is this all a bit harsh of me, after all I dont see the value of old miners tailings sitting around in piles except as being reused for more useful projects such as rock gardens and fill for gabion walls.
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 February 2015 4:24:01 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Personally Mr Matthew Schmidt's time would be better served speaking to the Reserve Bank about the standard of our current currency - From my findings I would not expect the new 10c - 20c & 50c pieces to last in the ground over 20 years leaving virtually no footprint for those future archaeologists to follow .........

That Mr Schmidt is a bigger crime than a NZ Metal Detecting Champs -
2 Pages<12