New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 9:35:50 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
I am very sorry to report that the detecting competition has been cancelled.

I was contacted by email this week by Matthew Schmidt who is the Regional Archaeologist of Otago/Southland for Heritage New Zealand who saw our plans here on Paydirt, and on the Metal Detecting NZ Aotearoa Facebook page. He said that because the area was pre-1900 it was protected by law and that we could not disturb the site without proper authority and permission from the landowner.

I explained that we had permission from the landowner and that we would not be excavating an archaeological dig, just detecting the surface which has clearly already been disturbed. I further explained the general ethics of metal detecting, about turning valuables into the police, trying to track down owners of rings and war medals with inscriptions etc and that if finds of historical interest like Maori artefacts or moa bones were found anywhere the proper authorities would of course be notified.

He responded with this:
"The key thing here to remember in terms of the law is that any location that dates to pre-1900, whether it is of European, Chinese, Maori etc. origin, is protected by law and no matter how invasive your activity is, no ground can be broken even if it is only a small divet. This includes locations where their maybe 20th century items mixed into the site which often happens. So if you find, for example, any Victorian coins on the grass or under the surface, it can’(t) be removed and no more activity can be undertaken."

My take on this (which I told him) is I am breaking the law every time I plant something in my garden. Because my yard like every farm, park, domain, road, river, beach etc will have had people on it pre-1900. If that is the law, in my opinion it is completely absurd.

I talked with a committee member from Black Gully today and he said they had also been contacted and told of potential fines etc and as a result we were NOT allowed to dig in the campground. We were still welcome to use the campground and he offered the use of the field adjacent to the campground. Although that was very generous, my guess is this would be considered pre-1900 as well.

Having given it considerable thought, at this point I think having a competition anywhere is just going to stir up a bureaucratic hornets nest that would be bad for metal detecting in general. So again, sorry to pull the plug, would have been a lot of fun.
File Attachment(s):
Golddigger7  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 10:37:27 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Like we dont know what happened in New Zealand 100 years ago, the history of New Zealand is fairly well documented, its not like it was prehistory, except the odd moa cooker or two. All archaeologists do is confirm what they already know, horses wore iron horse shoes, blokes wore trousers and the ladies wore lots of undies and they all ate crap food.

A few potholes here and there isnt really disrupting anything that is material afterall, sorry you had to cancel.

GD7
Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 10:42:07 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Sorry to hear that Robert, had managed to free up that weekend.
Take a paddling pool fill with dirt (from a non protected area) and go for it.
Could still head over to old Gabs

On reading this I will have to change my attire and not where my Stilettos any more, was so looking forward to showing off my Racey red ones! Another freedom removed!

If somethings in the ground decaying ceasing to exist then what good is it to anyone.
I feel a conspiracy theory coming on as it makes no logical sense, you can't protect what doesn't exist!

What dribble!

Still thanks for putting in the effort Robert.

Also makes you realize there is always someone looking over our shoulder!

Edited by user Thursday, 29 January 2015 10:48:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chrispy  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 11:03:36 AM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Man that just sux. That would mean that any park in the main centres is now off limits as most of our major cities were est pre 1900.
Robert, would ther be any one down that way who would kindly open their claim or land for a day to detect gold nuggets so we can still all get together????? Just a thort.
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 11:30:50 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Archaeologists - I had been informed by a archaeologist who works for DOC that it is their opinion and belief that NZ artifacts remain in the ground - YES shocking but true - Our very own professionals who should be embracing groups like ours for obvious reasons prefer to leave our history in the ground BECAUSE .........

We New Zealand cannot afford to excavate, clean & display the finds - Currently only 1% of our historical finds are actually on display in NZ museums while the other 99% are boxed up and stored ...........

Shameful in both respects -

So what happens if you or I were to stumble across a significant find that could change our history - An example of this was found around Bluff Hill a number of years ago when an old Spanish Sword was found which should have re-written our history books - What happened? - Did they search for more finds in that area?? NOTHING

They did nothing - archaeologists in NZ are completely different to their fellow professionals throughout the world - It appears they really DO NOT care so much for history as they do their position of power.

It also appears to me how NZ laws regarding our hobby seem to have both metal detectorists and these apparent professionals at loggerheads which is completely different to how things are done in a country with a vast history -

Another point of note by this group too is that they expect you to read every historical book published before you go forth to discover new finds however they tend to forget that the 'finds' came well before the book was written

Perhaps Mr Matthew Schmidt can enlighten New Zealands amateur archaeologists on when they will be likely to save the history from identified area - Surely its imperative now that they know to actually do something positive in saving our history -

Oh that's right - lack of funds

I am positives archaeologists in the UK must frown upon their colleges here in new New Zealand -

One other point to note is this - Its apparent that 'they' the professionals do not want to work in with our group which amazes me as the only excuse that have is lack of funding yet mst of us would work in with these people for free - All it takes is one group to stop pretending they are all precious in saving history when clearly its the opposite -

Yes I am pissed but NOT for the fact that Robs efforts will go unrewarded, NOT because I wont get to see a lot of you but the saddest fact of the lot is that this apparent archaeologists who got into their career because they too want to save history like us, is not even interested in meeting like-minded people who CAN help them -

No brainer really however sitting on your chuff in a warm office pulling a hefty salary can have the odd person confused as to what their job is all about -

Sorry to hear about this Rob & thank you for trying to get this up and running - Certainly a lost opportunity for Regional Archaeologist of Otago/Southland for Heritage New Zealand -

Edited by user Thursday, 29 January 2015 11:34:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 12:23:00 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Actually I wonder if Mr Schmidt has done the right thing by pointing out the issues before the
event rather than turning up during or afterwards with official complaints. Not saying I agree with the application of the legislation but no point in genuine people getting in the poop either.

MK

Erickd  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 12:31:26 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
I had the same thing happen a few months back when the landowner at Living springs gave me permission to have a good hunt around for history that they could display in the camp site, unfortunately in this case the fella was to honest and informed the "powers" and they put a halt on it, even the landowner cant dig...but yet its ok to get the bulldozers in to landscape and build ?
Maybe we need to gather everyone's emails and so when an event is planned just mass email everyone or Pm then its away from shit stirring eyes
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
Evo2  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 12:47:41 PM(UTC)
Evo2

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sorry to see you have had to cancell.Once again the lunatics are running the asylum.
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 1:40:19 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

It beggars belief -

That's the idea of having an ORGANIZED event to begin with - NZ Detecting Champs

Getting to know skilful metal detectorists and build a database which could be called upon at a later date should those groups need our service & clearly they do

Keep up with the latest in Technology - i.e. Speaking with NZd's very own dealers on brands from Fisher Garrett Minelab Deus deteknix etc etc - again equipment that is certainly used in their line of work

In turn -

They get to see how we operate firsthand which discredits councils views of us destroying public property

They also get to tell us what to do if we do come across a historical site like this that they do not know about & in doing so saves a valuable piece of history from being desecrated -

All the above is common sense, yet, we all have to sit back and scratch our bums until someone at the top realizes they are wasting a golden opportunity -

Edited by user Friday, 30 January 2015 10:55:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 6:04:47 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
I feel for the poor bastards in various community beautification societies who have been planting trees in reserves around the country then...

" any location that dates to pre-1900..." I work at a quarry, our stuff is 25 million years old. Bugger.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 6:16:51 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Im no detectorist but reading that even makes me mad...what a F%#k wit...ban Schmidt from the forum ...no wonder no1 likes the HPT&co bunch of queer c@%ts you would think they would be on board with responsible guys even take an interest in whats been done instead they are promoting dodgy activity at the end of the day if this wasn't posted on here any one of you fellas could have detected that spot year round with no complaints...makes people with information like this not want to tell the authorities....if anyone wants to detect this spot ...no idea if its worth it maybe take a group to dig it up and see:)
File Attachment(s):
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 8:16:49 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Un Bloody believeable. I am speachless. Rules for us & rules for them. Power trippers....that is all they are. Frigin tossers. So you just leave stuff in the ground to just rot completly away & so no one is any the wiser that there was anything there at all..... ever....becasue once it is gone it is gone for ever, & thats a long time. Wouldnt it be better to salvage & display than lose it for ever. What is the world coming to?? Glad I have detected a few of these forbidden areas & salvaged a few bits & pieces before they were lost for ever. Moa bones & all. So what makes them so special over us? Dont they dig & disturb?
So sorry to hear that you have called off your fun event. What a bugger. Chin up. :)

Happy hunting

JW :)
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 8:56:12 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Archaeology is all about finds being in context, sealed in a layer to relate the find to whatever is around it.

Which is why I generally only work disturbed and secondary deposits such as beaches, modern earthworks (house sites and road cuttings etc) and streams which means that the find has no context. Proof of which was a 3d I found "in situ" above an old 50c piece. Also in this category is the 1899 Vicky penny that came up in the spoil from a trencher - Archaeologically useless.

More than one way to skin a moa...

However, please be sure to point out to any contractors digging drains, repairing roads or drilling holes to install power poles, digging foundations for new houses, laying fibre optic cable or planting flowerbeds in any urban area that they should stop.

In the meantime, keep picking up the razor-sharp can shrapnel left behind in (post-1900) reserves...But keep off the grass.

coinnut  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 10:36:33 PM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Having a xtra couple thousand archeologists working in there own time cant be a bad thing can it? How much more would be known about our history? Hopefully one day we will be looked apon as an asset not a nuisance.

Edited by user Thursday, 29 January 2015 10:41:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
number8wire  
Posted : Thursday, 29 January 2015 11:32:45 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
.....speechless.......
As has already been stated....the potential for this event to have been seen by a local authority as a vehicle to educate and inform, has once again been stifled by a complete lack of foresight.....What's wrong with these people?

If I remove a pre 1900 sixpence from an archeological layer, and then tell my fellow dectorists of my wonderful find and plans for conservation and preservation....according to Mr S, that makes me a criminal!?
If I shut the hell up, destroy the evidence and say nothing to anyone...that makes me a land developer, shitloads of money and an "entrepreneur ".
Who the hell is the criminal here?
Come on people, wake up and see who the real villians are here.

As a detectorist, my passion is for the preservation and conservation of our past. I want my kids and their kids to have, hold and understand via tangible evidence, the rich and diverse cultural heritage of our past.
Im not sure if all my words make sense here but hopefully the passion with which i try to convey my thoughts, will come through loud and clear.

I'm so pissed off with "authority" right now, that I am struggling to keep my words calm!

TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 8:41:27 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Well thats enough to make one feel rebelluous and somewhat revengeful (and on that note a huge white tail spider has made its way onto my keyboard and now its meeting its fait!) take that..
Gobsmacked as we all are but i do beleive it is not illegal to detect on such lands but the digging of holes is. How this helps i dont know but its a fact.

A real shame Robert as you have put the time and effort into a fantastic thing only to be shunned down. So i send my condolences and wish you well with future ventures. Good luck out there.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Guardian  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 9:14:34 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
So Mr Schmidt

You are obviously reading these posts and I am aware of the supposed good work you have done however it seems even then the lines have been blurred like your work at Price's Inlet. If you are so protective of so called historic places (even though it didn't meet the criteria) why would you let an article run telling the country about treasures that at that stage were unprotected, that seems rather arrogant and seemed more ego driven than protective.

Seems to me (and most likely others) the only thing you are trying to protect is your pay packet.

I encourage you to give us a response and maybe enlighten us on your twisted angle!

Maybe the caution tape should read 'Crime Scene'.

Good to put a face to the name.

Edited by user Friday, 30 January 2015 9:18:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guardian attached the following image(s):
Schmiddy.jpg
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 9:50:20 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Yeah, it really sucks because you couldn't find a better spot for a competition. I will say that he was nice enough about it, but he really didn't want us detecting and kept telling me it was illegal. He also said it was illegal to detect at Gabriel's Gully because it was a historic location. Figure that out. In my mind there is nothing significant about a picnic ground; as was said above it is common knowledge that people camped there, what is there to learn? People took their buggy from my house, spent a weekend thee and then rode back. And 1900 really isn't what I would consider 'historic.' My deer rifle for example was made in 1904 and it isn't a collectable or anything, it is just a gun. I assume they picked 1900 because it sounded older than 2000 and covers just as much ground.

I considered moving the competition somewhere else, although there isn't any place anywhere that isn't pre-1900, but I was concerned that it would stir things up and be bad for detecting all around. I suggested that he work with the detecting community rather than oppose it because detectorists are a lot more likely to find significant sites, and that he should come and give a talk at the competition. He said he would, but at that point I thought it would be better to let things settle down. I am currently torn between thinking we should try and work with these people and thinking we should avoid them like the plague. I think they would gain a great deal by working with us, but I am not sure it would do us any good.
sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 11:18:19 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: coinnut Go to Quoted Post
Having a xtra couple thousand archeologists working in there own time cant be a bad thing can it? How much more would be known about our history? Hopefully one day we will be looked apon as an asset not a nuisance.

You only have to look at the UK to see how much history metal detectorists save for archaeologists & historians -

Whats the difference between a NZ archaeologist and a real archaeologist? - The real ones use their brain and get their hands dirty - Perhaps we could find out from this self appointed god how many sites in NZ are currently being excavated or is the lack of funds dues to over inflated egos and salaries?

Ironic isn't it that we have someone pretending to care about our history holding onto such a position -

Do any of you know what type of ground imaging equipment do they use and are they kept up to date with the latest equipment? - From my experience with anything govt I expect they are swinging out of date equipment and even if they did get NEW stuff it would take them (the professionals) a few months to be proficient - Why not utilize a professional detectorist who knows their equipment, who have a passion for history and can work to instruction - Easily anyone can see this as an asset that comes cheap - Ideal for those sitting in offices crying about no money ..................

When they said that they are dumbing down the country I didn't expect them to do it from the top down

Edited by user Friday, 30 January 2015 11:44:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 11:41:17 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Perhaps one of these professionals can enlighten this well organized community as to their method to the madness -

I bet it will start pretty much like this -

We just cant have anyone digging around destroying history blah blah blah ...........

Ironically the guy organizing this event Rob (Fisher NZ) actually is the agent for the very special
http://www.fisherlab.com...ctors-archaeological.htm

designed specifically for the so-called 'professionals' in question -

Again it appears their ignorance is paramount in their decision making - Never-mind Rob, you can only do so much to help the 'very important people' in our communities -

Edited by user Friday, 30 January 2015 12:20:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Pages12>