New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Derek0000  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2011 11:38:49 AM(UTC)
Derek0000

Groups: Registered
Man

Im currently in franz josef and going to go up the callery for a look so if anyone is interested in coming get in touch, to find me ask at fox and franz heliservices or just ask a local, not two sure when i will be online next. I am going panning every day that is suitable for the next week or two. Whataroa, the forks etc etc . . . . Anyone is free two join me. Might go for a gold pan right now L8a !
goldfinger  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2011 7:58:36 PM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Is the Callery low can u get up to big beach ?
cavey  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2011 10:20:17 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi Derek

Wish you good luck down that way mate im still looking at heading over that way when i get some time cant wait let us know how you get on

Regards Stu
Derek0000  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 July 2011 11:23:03 AM(UTC)
Derek0000

Man

Was going to trek up the callery yesterday but the sun didnt really come out and today doesnt look much better, the callery looks relatively low and this rain we had last night shouldnt raise levels for two long so hopefully in the next week their should be a day where its suitable to go for a walk up the callery. How far up is big beach ? Can you tell me more about this spot ? Come on stop raining . . . . . .

Edited by user Wednesday, 27 July 2011 11:57:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 July 2011 7:17:16 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi derek yea right its one hell of a gorge up there but follow the track then under the bridge when you get to the callery tou will find the once around the first corner going up stream you will be pretty wet
i have flowen in to the top of the callery years ago when meat hunting didnt know what i was doing much but i didnt get anything
best bet is under the bridge where the river sweeps round the bend grab the moss and wash that you WILL get fine gold
dont forget everyone goes there

but no need for me to be negative its got good history all the best
kiwikeith
goldfinger  
Posted : Thursday, 28 July 2011 7:37:47 AM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
hi Derek.....Its about and hour from the Callery/ Waiho junction , a wet suit would be handy. You are going to get wet ie. swim... any clothing or emergency gear will need to be in plastic bags.Their are a couple of spots we got over without a ladder but one would be handy , but may not go down well if seen carrying a ladder up the track. The early miners called it Big beach but its stuff all of a beach but the river does slow down at that point.There is a bit of info on the Callery in the book Peter Graham mountain guide.Here is a news paper clip from 1870.May i add that that entering the Callery gorge is a serious project.The river is glacier feed and sudden rises in the river level can happen closer to spring , as the newspaper clip indicates , june and july are the months.Take care!

Edited by user Thursday, 4 August 2011 8:39:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldfinger attached the following image(s):
imageserver.pl.gif
Derek0000  
Posted : Thursday, 28 July 2011 12:15:56 PM(UTC)
Derek0000

Man

Thanks guys this information is really appreciated ! !
gjj109  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 August 2011 8:16:55 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Hi Derek. Did you get up the Callery at all??