New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

LepreSean  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 February 2015 2:35:04 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
NZ GOLD PANNING CHAMPIONSHIP 2015

Dear Goldpanners, 17 February 2015

We are delighted to announce that the Goldpanning Championships will be held on Sunday 19th April on Butler Green, Arrowtown alongside the Arrowtown Autumn Festival.

We are looking forward to seeing you there competing amongst the best gold panners in the country and catching up with old friends.

We are going to be starting at the same time as in 2014. Registrations will start at 9.00am and end at 11am. The heats will start at 9.30am and run through till finished. Teams events will start at 2pm and category finals commence at 3.00pm. The competition for the NZ Champion will held immediately after the category finals.

Entry fees will be the same as 2014, and will be $15 for the first entry per person and each subsequent entry will be $10.

We are introducing a new, fun competition this year – Stake Your Claim – a bit of fun with some prizes that will range from great to booby! This will be held after lunch just before the team event takes place.

If you have entered the Championships before we would be very appreciative if you would consider bringing back for re-use any gold and gold bottles you might have stored away at home! This helps us to keep the costs down, and hence the entry fees.

We always need help with set up and break down, so if you would be able to help please let us know. Many hands make light work…For any further information or for anything you need to check with us please leave a message with the Otago Goldfields Heritage Trust or phone us on 03 442 6699 (Nomad Safaris).....

P.S Not mentioned in the email I received is that the Traditional pan event is NOT eligible to qualify for the NZ championship title.....which I think sucks big time as there is the space in the finals for an entrant from this category, though this year you can enter in the Traditional event up to a maximum of three times, compared to the previous years restriction of one entry, though I do not see why you would bother forking out $30 for what is now essentially a novelty category :/ That is my wee grumble, but will say from attending many competitions that the event is well managed and the prizes are very good. I think the NZ Champion now gets $1500 towards representing NZ at the Australasian Goldpanning championship. There be plenty of gold in the arrow to make it a worthwhile trip and I hope to see a good number of forum members in attendance this year and see if we cant take the title :)

Edited by user Tuesday, 24 February 2015 3:00:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 February 2015 9:53:59 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Gee that sounds like fun, long way to go from the far north to the far south never mind.
I have have a tip for would be panners. Do a full pan down to the fines in 21 seconds. Sounds crazy but the Chinese use to do it in their panning comps and also contributed as to why they found a lot more GOLD than the average person as they were so quick.
It's no secrete, all they did was pan really fast. In 11 seconds they would be down to the smalls and the other 10 seconds was to seperate the GOLD from the fines.
Give it try and use small pieces of lead (instead of GOLD)in varying sizes.

Happy panning

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
gavzilla  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 February 2015 6:05:07 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
G'day creamer how do I get registered for your magazine?

Also be nice to see a few more faces at arrowtown panning comp this year, it's a good event.
richmanpoorman  
Posted : Saturday, 7 March 2015 10:29:12 PM(UTC)
richmanpoorman

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi all, I will be at the arrow comp, gonna drag the family up also. don't think I can do a full pan in 21 secs but will give it a try best time in a comp was about 3 mins without losing any flakes. The flat pans get it done in sub 1 min, hard to beat! Best chance is with the traditional pan but if that don't get you in to the champs whats the point! I guess the point is to go have a try and watch the flat panners enter a billion times to win ( wish I had the $$ to enter that many times).

catch ya up there.

richmanpoorman
LepreSean  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2015 2:42:39 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Hi people, just a reminder that the NZ gold panning competition is on this Sunday @ Butlers Green Arrowtown, hope to see a good few of you there :) weather looks like it should be ok for most of Sunday. Remember it is not always the fastest gold panner that wins the title ;)
auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Sunday, 19 April 2015 8:20:53 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How did go today. as I couldn't get here, this time hope, the day went well, for all that turn up
winners & pic if some has that info would be great cheers