New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

new enthusiast  
Posted : Friday, 29 July 2011 5:03:28 PM(UTC)
new enthusiast

Groups: Registered
Woman

Hi everyone, I live in the Naesby area and have recently started panning for gold. I am thinking about purchasing a Gold Bug 2. Is it true that it only picks up on really small bits of gold or does it also find finger nail size nuggets?
Thanks
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 29 July 2011 5:24:57 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Hey there if it picks up small nuggets its going to get the big stuff too! However it wont be able to get the large gold as deep as a Minelab PI will. I have a gold bug and it works great. Hope that helps
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 3:43:18 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i also have a gold bug and it works great..i personally dont think you would go wrong with one....if you look up rjMcbrid on here he is the fisher dealer for here in NZ..he lives in methvin.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 7:50:01 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there, The gold bug 2 has the highest frequency for a vlf gold detector, 71 khz, & so is deadly on very small gold on or close to the surface. Ideal for shallow or bed rock detecting. Just like the Whites GMT that runs at 48 khz. The bug 2 will get smaller gold, just, but the Whites due to its slightly less frequency will punch a bit deeper & get gold the bug wont . Frequency, depth & sensitivity is always a trade off with detectors.
The higher the frequency the more sensitive to tiny gold but lacks strength & punch of signal into the ground for deeper gold, even bigger bits. But sure, if the bigger bits arent too far down the bug will get those. The lower the frequency the less sensitive on small gold but will get better depth on bigger bits. There is the trade off. Price too is a factor for a lot of people. The VLF's being a lot cheaper than the pulse induction gold detectors.
Dedicated VLF gold detectors will have higher fequencies than coin/relic machines so as too be targeting those smaller gold bits. Coin/relics tend to be of a bigger size. The accurate discrimination ability of coin/relic machines also comes in to play with the lower frequencies that they work at.
Hope that helps.

JW :)
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 August 2011 9:28:06 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
For clarity there are two Gold Bugs; the Gold Bug 2 is the older model but is still quite popular due to the high frequency (71 kHz) as kiwijw described. The new Gold Bug series (Gold Bug, Gold Bug DP, and Gold Bug Pro) which is what 1864hatter and nzpoohbear40 are using operate at a lower frequency (19 kHz). These new Gold Bugs are effective gold machines, but because of the lower frequency, target ID, auto ground balance, pin point feature etc they function as a general purpose machine as well.
roman holiday  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 11:56:01 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
Hi there, The gold bug 2 has the highest frequency for a vlf gold detector, 71 khz, & so is deadly on very small gold on or close to the surface. Ideal for shallow or bed rock detecting. Just like the Whites GMT that runs at 48 khz. The bug 2 will get smaller gold, just, but the Whites due to its slightly less frequency will punch a bit deeper & get gold the bug wont . Frequency, depth & sensitivity is always a trade off with detectors.
The higher the frequency the more sensitive to tiny gold but lacks strength & punch of signal into the ground for deeper gold, even bigger bits. But sure, if the bigger bits arent too far down the bug will get those. The lower the frequency the less sensitive on small gold but will get better depth on bigger bits. There is the trade off. Price too is a factor for a lot of people. The VLF's being a lot cheaper than the pulse induction gold detectors.
Dedicated VLF gold detectors will have higher fequencies than coin/relic machines so as too be targeting those smaller gold bits. Coin/relics tend to be of a bigger size. The accurate discrimination ability of coin/relic machines also comes in to play with the lower frequencies that they work at.
Hope that helps.

JW :)

Hi JW, thanks for the info. I'm thinking the machine you want to be using is one that can punch down low and find the deeper smaller stuff that has been left behind in well-worked over areas. So a lower frequency and higher price might be the way to go. Any thoughts. I'm thinking of a new Xterra [4000?], or a Garret, at this stage.... maybe with 2 different coils. Organizing a solar panel this weekend in order to re-charge the batteries.

Edited by user Saturday, 6 August 2011 12:04:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Monday, 22 August 2011 7:51:20 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Well, checked out a shop up here in Auckland [east tamiki] and the detectors they had were pretty rubbish..... mostly toys.

If anyone's thinking of selling a decent minelab or Garret feel free to PM me.

I see they are also being sold in Kati Kati:

http://www.trademe.co.nz...er/auction-400436080.htm

What do you think of that little beasty?
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 22 August 2011 8:27:28 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
For gold prospecting? No to the GTI 2500.

7.0khz is good for coins and relics and will pick up the larger gold rings etc, but not for small nuggets. It is also an old model, Garrett are just building up hype for a new detector release in a couple of months time. Of course nobody knows what it will be but they have covered the low end with the Ace series, the mid-range with the AT Pro so it is logical to assume the new one will be a high end detector. If it is then I bet it will have a frequency for small gold.

$2499 is too expensive for a model that is already obsolete. An AT Pro will punch just as deep and at 17khz will pick up smaller gold to boot - it is also half the price. My V3i cost the same as that GTI 2500 but gives me 3 frequencies 2.5khz, 7.5khz and a 22.5khz one which will pick up smallish gold. It is also infinitely programmable to be what ever sort of detector I want it too be (prospecting, relic, jewellery, deep silver etc or any combination). The GTI 2500 can only be used for efficiently for coins and relics.

As much as I would like to support NZ businesses, the majority selling detector products here on Trademe etc are pricing themselves out of the market. Buying overseas maybe more of a hassle but the prices are more reasonable even when including the cost of shipping and gst. Any warranty issues will still have to be sent overseas for repair whether brought in NZ or in the US, Aust etc.

The exception to this seems to be rgmcbrid on the forum here who's prices sound reasonable.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 22 August 2011 10:32:08 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

yes was going to say the same thing shilo about rgmcbrid who is the Fisher dealer here in NZ..his prices are very reasonable.
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 1:24:06 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Thanks for the plug there guys, I would add that if you have to send a detector in to Fisher for repair while it is under warranty you pay the postage to get it there, but they will pay the postage to send it back. I am not sure how the other companies handle it.
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 7:17:22 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

With Garrett I had to pay both ways but of course only the faulty part has to be sent so it's cheaper then paying shipping on the large detector box. Still that is a good offer by Fisher.
roman holiday  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 10:25:00 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
For gold prospecting? No to the GTI 2500.

7.0khz is good for coins and relics and will pick up the larger gold rings etc, but not for small nuggets. It is also an old model, Garrett are just building up hype for a new detector release in a couple of months time. Of course nobody knows what it will be but they have covered the low end with the Ace series, the mid-range with the AT Pro so it is logical to assume the new one will be a high end detector. If it is then I bet it will have a frequency for small gold.

$2499 is too expensive for a model that is already obsolete. An AT Pro will punch just as deep and at 17khz will pick up smaller gold to boot - it is also half the price. My V3i cost the same as that GTI 2500 but gives me 3 frequencies 2.5khz, 7.5khz and a 22.5khz one which will pick up smallish gold. It is also infinitely programmable to be what ever sort of detector I want it too be (prospecting, relic, jewellery, deep silver etc or any combination). The GTI 2500 can only be used for efficiently for coins and relics.

As much as I would like to support NZ businesses, the majority selling detector products here on Trademe etc are pricing themselves out of the market. Buying overseas maybe more of a hassle but the prices are more reasonable even when including the cost of shipping and gst. Any warranty issues will still have to be sent overseas for repair whether brought in NZ or in the US, Aust etc.

The exception to this seems to be rgmcbrid on the forum here who's prices sound reasonable.

Thanks Shilo [and others]. Appreciate the input. Looks like there is quite a learning curve involved with detectors. I'm wondering whether it might be best toi start out with something not too top range until I get more of a handle on things. the F75 [fisher] doesn't look too bad.

You mentioned the AT Pro, what brand is that?

Edit: opps, just re-read your post and see that it is a Fisher. Which is better do you think the Garret AT Pro, or the Fisher F75?.... but then wouldn't mind a minelab.. :]

Cheers,
Roman.

Edited by user Tuesday, 23 August 2011 10:39:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 10:37:55 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

dont know about the garret pro but the fisher F75 is the top of the line in the fisher brand.
roman holiday  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 10:42:14 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
dont know about the garret pro but the fisher F75 is the top of the line in the fisher brand.

Thanks poohbear. Do you know of anyone who has actually used it for small nugget detecting?

It's a good price. I was expecting to pay more for a decent detector.... but not as easy as I thought to find one in the mid to top range here in Auckland. Here for one more day.

Edited by user Tuesday, 23 August 2011 10:44:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 1:28:28 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Originally Posted by: roman holiday Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks poohbear. Do you know of anyone who has actually used it for small nugget detecting?

It's a good price. I was expecting to pay more for a decent detector.... but not as easy as I thought to find one in the mid to top range here in Auckland. Here for one more day.

The Garrett AT Pro is a middle of the range detector. You can see its specs here as well as compare it to other detectors you might be interested in: AT Pro Comparison

It will should find smallish nuggerts but being only 17.5khz it is not as good as the older Gold Bugs or of course a detector like some of the Minelabs GPX's. Advantage with it though is that it is waterproof to 10 feet.

I don't nugget hunt but if you did want a top of the range for gold fossicking then have a look at the Minelab GPX series. If their price is a bit too hard to chew then it sounds like the Fisher Gold Bug (older model?) is the next best thing.

I know very little about the Fisher detectors as I have only used my AT Pro and V3i.

roman holiday  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 2:00:22 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Thanks again Shilo. Ok, so I'm thinking short of someone offering me a minelab at a brill price, the choice is between the Gold Bug 2 and the F75... both Fishers.

The F75 has a larger coil, but is not specialized for gold... more general purpose.

The Gold Bug 2, as JW as mentioned, has a high frequency [75].

Price around the same. Any ideas to eliminate one of them anyone.................?

Another factor for me is I've a solar-panneled campervan. So some 12V charging system would be the best for me..... being off-grid and all.

NB. The Auckland licensee for Minelab is selling the latest GPX unit [i think the 4000] for over $10,000!!

Edited by user Tuesday, 23 August 2011 2:03:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 2:29:01 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

as shilo says the F75 isnt specifically for gold but according to the reveiws it is very good at finding it..
here is a link to read up on some finds from the fisher page..
also there aree 3 coils you can get for the F75

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/finds.htm

Talk to rgmcbrid on here as here is the NZ dealer for fisher and has both the F75 and the goldbug and goldbug 2's
and he ships anywhere in NZ
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 6:39:43 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Looks like the Fisher's use conventional 9v and AA batteries. These are easy to charge up on the road with a normal off the shelf charger (got mine from Woolworths) and a lot of them have a cigarette 12v plug included or else can charge via a USB. Being able to use conventional batteries also has the advantage that you can pop a couple of normal non-chargeable ones in your pack in case the rechargeable go flat while out in the field. No problems with a camper or solar charging.
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Tuesday, 23 August 2011 7:19:22 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
You might also consider something like the Whites GMT, or the Minelab Eureka Gold. They're both very good VLF detectors in a similar price and performance range to the Fisher GB2.

I used all three at different times before moving to a Minelab PI machine several detectors ago. They all have their quirks but all three will find gold if you take the time to learn how to use them properly.

If I was going the Fisher route then it would definetly be the GB2 (you've only got to Google them to see why) although that said my personal favourite VLF is the Whites GMT - one of those paid for my first Minelab PI.

It all depends on how much you want to spend and how soon you want it. If you are prepared to wait a little while then it's well worth watching Trademe as those high end VLF machines do come up fairly regularly and are usually well priced (viz. second hand).

Definetly don't rush into a purchase - if none of the detectors mentioned above are currently within your budget then it'd be worthwhile saving a little longer until they are. A good detector is a big ticket item for a fossicker and the difference between a good unit and something medicore isn't necessarily too much money. Either way it might take you a long time to recoup the purchase price - even with gold at $2,300 NZD per ounce.
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 11:05:11 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Thanks for the replies guys. Well, I called in and saw "X-terra" Steve on the way back down Coromandel way. I remember him raving about the X-terra last summer on Wakamarina. Had a look at his X-terra 705... a little beauty. I think it's VLF [is that right Steve?] and has both general and discriminating functions. Also runs of the AA batteries so should be fine for recharging off the solar-panel.

Just got to find one on trademe now.... then see if I can get a few lessons from Steve. :)