New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kpmathias  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 March 2015 10:47:42 PM(UTC)
kpmathias

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

So i've been looking around online trying to find the answer to question i hear floating around a lot. That being that if a person is using a suction dredge with less than 2.5HP motor running it they are able to use it anywhere.. I would love to hear from anybody that can help me with this. I would love to know where and where you can't use them as I'm considering buying a small one to have a bit of a look around myself.
nafcd  
Posted : Thursday, 12 March 2015 7:48:02 AM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
wouldn't think that's true. public areas they aren't allowed. if you are working it outside public areas definitely not. if you are lucky enough to be on a claim with owners permission it would depend on whether his permit allows it.
LBD  
Posted : Thursday, 12 March 2015 8:24:33 AM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kpmathias Go to Quoted Post
That being that if a person is using a suction dredge with less than 2.5HP motor running it they are able to use it anywhere..

The above statement is wrong, you cannot use it anywhere.... as nafcd states, it can only be used on an existing claim with the claim owners permission where a 2 inch dredge is permitted to be used by a regional council.

Edited by user Thursday, 12 March 2015 8:29:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Thursday, 12 March 2015 8:42:29 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I would love to say thats right and see you go out there with your 2 inch but its not true. not by a long shot. a dredge is a dredge. doesn't matter what size it is you need a claim, access agreement, insurance, etc, etc.

Actually, it doesn't matter whether you are armed with a 8 inch dredge or a trowel and plastic pan, whatever your tools are you need permissions of all sorts to prospect and mine. and that costs money. lots of it.

If a 2 inch was allowable you'd see dozens of people daily lining up the river banks with the fever.

If you search through the old posts on this forum you'll see much debate over what is supposedly allowed via the rumour mill, and what is actually allowed.

i'd suggest sticking to the public areas like Arrowtown and getting a sluice box if you're keen. if you've still got the motivation after that you could spend 10k and get a permit and access if you've got a year or so to kill while it comes through.

Good luck.
element111  
Posted : Saturday, 25 July 2015 3:16:33 PM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Yeap a dredge is a dredge there is heaps of areas to be claimed tho to allow you to start mining with one up to 6" ,after that it is a bit of a mission we will be putting a 8"keene in an area we have claimed and it's not to easy be alowed to use one