New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

shaneE  
Posted : Sunday, 15 March 2015 9:00:35 PM(UTC)
shaneE

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hey im after a sand scoop not a hand held one,bit pricey online if anyone got one or know where to get one would be great.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 16 March 2015 3:45:09 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
After several internet-inspired DIYs, ranging from not really practical to slightly less practical, I ended up with a piece of stainless screen which I found in a scrapyard, looks like a pump filter or similar.

Couple of 32mm stainless saddles to hold a garden hoe handle and it's an excellent bit of kit.

Strong enough to lever and lift reasonable rocks out of the sand, the wooden handle stays on the surface in the shallows without need for a tether or floats, the holes are smaller, but means I can catch earrings and chains which might otherwise drop through larger holes.
Only afterthought was to add some plastic hose over the base of the handle where I press the foot to dig in - after 18 months, it was starting to severely wear away the wooden handle

Mudwiggle attached the following image(s):
scoop.jpg
shaneE  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 March 2015 2:36:04 AM(UTC)
shaneE

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Sweet ive sorced my stainless perf mesh and got a good design just a cut n weld and should be good to go ,under a hundred bucks to when its done ill post a pick :)