New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Stumbler  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 March 2015 6:43:00 AM(UTC)
Stumbler

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
On Monday 23rd of March Les passed away peacefully in Nelson.
Some of you may have met him from up the Baton or more recently as 'prospector in residence' up the Porika in the New Creek/ Howard goldfields area. He was up the Porika for the last few years and was always up for a yarn and a cuppa. A real character who had a very adventurous life.

Sometime in the next couple of months there's going to be an informal gathering up the Porika to lay his ashes. He's put aside drinks for anyone who enjoys the bush and prospecting to turn up.
Anyone thinking of attending can PM me for a heads-up on a date closer the time. It'll be notified here as well once a date has been finalised.

RIP Les.
File Attachment(s):
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 March 2015 9:56:10 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
What a bugger, I stayed up at the Howard a few times and yarned to Les for a few hours over those trips. He seemed like a really nice guy and was full of great stories. A real shame to hear he is gone. My condolences to those that knew him better than I did.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Stumbler  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 April 2015 8:41:44 PM(UTC)
Stumbler

Man

Cheers Hatter, yeah he had some great stories alright and told them real well.

We plan to return Les up the Porika next weekend on Saturday the 18th. Nothing formal just a casual gathering with a few drinks, later in the afternoon his ashes will be scattered near his camp.
Anyone welcome, the weather would have to be very extreme to be delayed. Plenty of places to camp if needed. Should be a few 4WD's around if anyone needs a lift.
If you know of anyone that might be interested let them know when/where.
Stumbler  
Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2015 8:03:09 PM(UTC)
Stumbler

Man

Just a reminder for this Saturday.
Looks a little damp early but should be alright for lunchtime/early affo drinks.
Should be good for camping with Sunday likely to be a cracker of a day.....and chance to get a bit of yellow.

krico25  
Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2015 11:25:33 PM(UTC)
krico25

New Zealand

We meet Les (didn't remember his name), last year and he proudly showed us his gold finds from the previous week and had at least an hour long chat about all sorts of things gold and bush related, at the time he was worried about the occupants of a car that hadn't returned from the creek for a day or 2.
Was hoping to see him last weekend when we visited New creek but found he had moved on.

RIP LES.
Greg  
Posted : Saturday, 18 April 2015 2:32:13 AM(UTC)
Greg

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sorry to hear this news. I recall seeing this Porika residents accommodation a few years back when passing the New Creek area. Then some new prospectors and I camped where his caravan was parked just this January - it was a nice spot. All the best to those who know him and learned his stories. RIP.