New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

tasmangold  
Posted : Saturday, 28 March 2015 8:37:37 AM(UTC)
tasmangold

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
hi there guys new to the forums . keen fossicker have all the gears etc just need some buddys to head out with
anyone with knowledge around the new creek/louis creek area would be cool as i really would like to have a go around there,spent most of my time down slab hut area over our holidays with the kids but not much return of gold .so if anyone is keen to show a boy around then would be much appreciated , have 4wd so access to new creek should be a prob.cheers
Greg  
Posted : Sunday, 29 March 2015 12:43:06 PM(UTC)
Greg

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hey Tasmangold,

I was just there in Jan - here is my take on the place:

We (me and two mates) flew to Nelson and took a rental car to visit my brother out just west of Nelson for a coffee. From there we went to the Howard Valley and made our way up the Porika road to the New Creek area. The Porika road is rough and we had to use the whole roadway to drive the best lines to make it past the rougher parts. The stream ford was ok (after walking it and derocking the bigger loose rocks) there was no rain for 10 days before - we crossed it under slow but steady power (it seriously floods out in sustained rain - so be mindfull it would be unpassable in these conditions......)
We camped at a large clearing on the rightside (special custom toilet just to the end of this clearing in the bush -the road becomes really treacherous just beyond).
2 years ago a mate and I camped at a smaller clearing within the trees just to the left of this big right side clearing (with a small pick and pan monument just visible -now partly covered in scrub)
New Creek is just a 5 min walk downwards through the bush from this rightside clearing.
We found good places to set a sluicebox (where two small branches of new creek meet) of with large rock tailings on both side - around 20mins downstream from our camp. Digging the stream and small gold flakes- but take care around the bigger boulders that you come across. Down stream would be worth a good look around in the future.

From there we went to the great Moonlight area- a much more interesting and open/sunny environment.

I too would like to catch up with anyone keen in the future who is in the Nelson area......or West Coast.

You cannot beat a great gold fossick!
Greg.

Edited by user Sunday, 29 March 2015 1:30:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tasmangold  
Posted : Sunday, 29 March 2015 1:09:52 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
thanks for that gregg good info on the road ,
anytime your down this way give me a pm id be keen to head out
nelson west coast areas ,give my keene a52 sluice a good work out lol
cheers rowan.