New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 5 April 2015 2:33:46 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Not had a lot of chance to get out on missions this summer with all the visiting relies. Finally got away the last few days and was nicely rewarded by 27 pieces for 3.58 grams total.

All found using the Minelab SDC 2300. Been working beautifully finding the gold, but this trip it developed some interesting battery issues I'm querying Minelab about. I'm wondering if water is sneaking into the unit somewhere :( Meant I had to cut my mission a bit short.

Hope you're all having some awesome Easter missions out there!

Edited by user Sunday, 5 April 2015 2:35:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin attached the following image(s):
gold.jpg
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Sunday, 5 April 2015 10:04:33 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Went up the waiorongomai valley with my partner and her dad, he used to do search and rescue there so he showed us some of the old mine shafts around the lower parts and showed us were the reef went and such. Just a pity its all locked up in the rock (What I would do for an alluvial gold deposite in the north island :<).

nice gold there, are you gonna nosy the new minelab they bought out recently? people reckon they are picking up nuggets that they missed with older models.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 6 April 2015 10:29:31 AM(UTC)
gavin

The new Minelab GPZ 7000 looks very interesting but I'm not sure I'd do it justice. If I was out in the wide open expanses of Oz or Otago might be worth it but I tend to seek out bedrock spots up creeks so I doubt the new detector would give me any extra edge. Bloody expensive too, would take a lot of gold to break even. I haven't even made too much of a dent in the cost of my SDC 2300 yet :-P

Edited by user Monday, 6 April 2015 10:31:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gold-bug  
Posted : Monday, 6 April 2015 12:57:55 PM(UTC)
gold-bug

New Zealand

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Nice one Gavin. The new SDC sounds like an awesome machine. Was the gold you recently detected from ground you have already detected with other other detectors? what sort of depth were you finding those smaller flakes at?
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 6 April 2015 5:17:40 PM(UTC)
gavin

The spot it somewhere I've detected a few times before with my Gold Bug Pro. None of the flakes were very deep, most just below the surface (some on top wedged into rock cracks). Though the SDC did cut through mineralisation the Gold Bug couldn't, hence why I recovered a fair few more flakes going over old ground.

The SDC does seem to be quite a good machine, though I had to cut my detecting short due to it playing up. Here's the email I fired off at Minelab on Sat when I got home...

Quote:
While prospecting the last few days I've experienced worrying behaviour from my Minelab SDC 2300 so am wondering if I might have a defective unit?

Friday I was running the detector with the supplied rechargeable batteries. Which gave me a full day of detecting with the detector on most of the time. However the detector did turn itself off then immediately on again twice within probably 10 minutes space of time. I wondered if somehow the batteries were somehow loose so made sure the battery cover was dry then opened the cover, had a quick look (everything looked normal), then re-sealed the battery compartment. The issue did not occur again that day and I continued detecting till the batteries ran out of juice a fair time later.

Both times this happened I was detecting with the coil above the control unit to get to bits of bedrock at head height. Previously the coil hand been in the water on and off and previously I had noticed that water must be running down the shaft inside of the shaft which I assume is normal.

The following day I swapped out the batteries for 4 fresh Energizer Max C batteries. It turned into a rainy day while detecting so the unit was getting wet from rain. Only 3 or 4 hours into the day the detector indicated it had low battery. I turned the detector off for a few minutes then on and the detector would function normally for a few minutes before giving the low battery alarm again. I did this a few times before deciding to call it an early day as I had no other batteries handy. Quite surprising as I expected the fresh Energizer Max's to last much longer than the rechargeable batteries.

When home I decided to check the batteries with a multimeter. All 4 Energizer Max batteries gave a reading of 1.4v so should have been fine. I replaced the batteries and then let the detector run for 10 minutes. It seemed to run fine with the same batteries installed, no low battery indicator sounding.

I did notice at home when I removed the batteries that a small amount (tiny puddle) of moisture had come through one of the holes next to the battery lid, but the battery compartment itself was fully dry. Photo is attached with area moisture was in ringed in red.

I've only had a chance to prospect with the detector 3 or 4 times since I purchased it (with no issues until now). It's never been fully submersed, but each time the coil has been submersed on and off (detecting in creeks). The issues only occurred yesterday and today as described. Is it possible I don't have a fully waterproof unit and water is creeping in somewhere and causing issues?

I await with nervousness what response Minelab give me.
DSC_0378.jpg
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 6 April 2015 5:22:05 PM(UTC)
gavin

BTW: The 3 tiniest flakes pictured just happened to get dug up when searching larger flakes. The detector would not have picked those up unless touching the coil I think.
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 April 2015 12:50:39 PM(UTC)
gavin

Minelab were quick replying which was good. Here's their advice in case anyone's interested or experience similar issues:

Quote:
I have included a link below to our Minelab Website Product Notice’s.
It explains how to correctly close the battery compartment, we also recommend not traveling with the batteries in the battery compartment & only install when you arrive at your destination.
Make sure that the battery ends are clean, this can be done simply by wiping the ends on your jeans.
We have also found by applying a couple of layers of insulation tape around the middle of the batts they are less likely to move around inside of the compartment & cause intermittent shut down.

http://www.minelab.com/aus/customer-care/product-notices?article=243471

You mentioned that the Energiser bats only gave you 4hrs operation, this is probably normal & would recommend the rechargeable batts as your best option.

I'm hoping to get away this weekend or next so will be able to see if the problem persists. Hopefully it is a simple battery contacts issue!

KiwiJW also recommended the battery contact springs could be pulled out a little to extend them to provide better contact.
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 April 2015 5:18:00 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Gavin, i'm no electronics wizard but it might just be that, a loose wire. would explain why it cuts out when you raised it higher, and also why your fresh batteries drained so quickly. after lots of knocks things do come loose. have you tried shaking it in mid air on different angles now you're home?
what was the humidity like that day? i had trouble with my GB2 a couple of times and i suspect it was the humidity as following trips out it worked perfectly again.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 April 2015 10:20:51 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Simon, I am actually suspecting that it's the batteries and not being quite snug enough. KiwiJW told me that a few people have reported this issue. I'm off on a mission Fri for the day so will test the theory out. Fingers crossed it is a simple battery connectivity issue. Will report back ;)
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 11 April 2015 12:41:36 PM(UTC)
gavin

Good news - it was just battery connectivity issues I think. Had a wee mission on Fri and all seemed fine and dandy - phew!

Recovered another 21 wee flakes for 1.88 grams. Slim pickings there now so need to find a new spot! Was left with hunting very subtle signals down.

Edited by user Saturday, 11 April 2015 12:42:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gold2.jpg
element111  
Posted : Sunday, 26 July 2015 8:33:09 PM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
hay mate how well do you think the detector works compared to the gold bug can you hear .2g bits very easily ? i am looking at buying one next week for when im back in nz to use it for prospecting ,my friend and i have been out a few times with his gold bug pro before i left for aus and i got blown away with how well he found gold with it....
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 July 2015 10:42:57 PM(UTC)
gavin

I love it, though I get the impression it's not the best for detecting deeper gold - but I tend to be playing around bedrock anyway. Finds fly-shit as they all it in Oz so a 0.2 gram bit should be easy to pick up (all depends on depth though). Super awesome at cutting through mineralisation and super simple to use - don't miss my GPX 4500 at all. Though it is a bit heavier to swing than the Gold Bug Pro. I'll be keeping my GB Pro for trashier locations I reckon.

Hope that helps.

Been a bit busy so not been on the forums too much lately - hence the late reply.
element111  
Posted : Thursday, 30 July 2015 10:49:13 PM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Sweet cheers for that I brought one the other day and tested it on some gold and it is very very sensitive I'm really impressed with it
DiggerJas  
Posted : Sunday, 16 August 2015 4:46:49 PM(UTC)
DiggerJas

Man

Hi Gavin,
good job with the 2300, I have one also, great machines. In Aussie they tend to jam a piece of stick or wood along beside the batteries as they tend to move about and cause problem as you noted,. doesn't have to be tight but just to stop them moving.
Hopefully you have no further problems, but if so this is an easy bush fix.
If you are keen some time to have a detect together let me know, the 2300s can work quite closely together,
BR
Jason.
SDC2300, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro-pointer, 4" Keene, hand sluice box, and plenty of optimism!