New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

dragonfly  
Posted : Sunday, 26 April 2015 3:52:55 PM(UTC)
dragonfly

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Team,
Well after joining the pay dirt site and looking through the various topics and discussions I have come to the conclusion that this is definitely for me.
Saving pennies for a Fisher F4 and a sluice.
I do have questions though.
Doc site, crown minerals and paydirt all say the same thing quoted below about public fossicking areas. (which is the only info I can find anywhere on the rules for public areas)

"All these areas (public fossicking areas) are suitable for gold panning and sluice boxing, mining being restricted to hand-held non-motorised methods within the active stream bed."

Now I cant find anything that goes into more details of the above statement but after looking at the techniques for classifying material before they go into a sluice has left me with more questions than answers.

Does the non motorised methods referred to above apply only to the removal of gravels from the riverbed, for example not using an excavator or dredge or does it apply to the whole process?
For example:
If you are still removing material from the riverbed by hand, shovel, sucker or whatever other method in a non motorised method are you breaking the rules using a 12 volt pump to classify the material before the sluice?
You are still returning the larger material and the classified material straight back to the riverbed and returning the water straight back to its source as you would having a sluice in the riverbed.

Has anyone ever challenged this rule?

My reality is you are still getting the gravel from the river the same way as before but processing it differently. I see they now include metal detectors in the mix so they are recognizing technology and new methods so is there a way of proposing change? Maybe restrict to 12 volt and not petrol for noise and pollution reasons and restriction on size of classifier and sluice, must be carried by hand, and not towed, etc....
I would like to see more areas opened up as well.
Is there a group on here being proactive and applying/lobbying for more public areas as I would like to be a part of that as well. Alot of noise about danseys pass getting owned and after the fact grizzling but is there any other areas that should be lobbyed before they get locked out for 20 years. Great having a forum but why not put it to use with the people numbers to support further areas opened up.

I look forward to some opinions.
Great site and looking forward to getting my sleeves rolled up and meeting some of you....

DRAGONFLY.
North Otago

c4bb0ose  
Posted : Sunday, 26 April 2015 5:01:43 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
In regards to the battery operated classifier i would suspect that you would not be able to use it, if you were wanting to classify things in that manner it would have to be hand powered as far as I understand.
tasmangold  
Posted : Sunday, 26 April 2015 5:18:01 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
i did send the goverment a letter about how and why it bloody will cost me so much to prospect /mine a little bit of river . and the bloody paper work you have to go through to even start is just bloody hard work complicated,nzpam really does make it hard for yah .mind you if it was that easy and cheep then everyone would be doing it , i dont no but it just seems like alot of hard work and money just for me to go do some suction dredge on a river , bye the way never got a letter back :) even the maps are a shambles to see whats claimed and whats not lol..and dragonfly im sure that non motorized means anything 12vclassifier included thats the way i read it . #gravitydredge# is the way im going :)
nafcd  
Posted : Sunday, 26 April 2015 5:27:15 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I did the same tasmangold but I did get a reply. they are looking into the possibility of making it easier for casual fossickers but don't hold your breath for any quick action. I would guess that's probably a pretty standard answer to get us off their backs and let them carry on with the money making side of it. plus the speed govt departments work at we will all be long gone before anything happens.
waka  
Posted : Monday, 27 April 2015 5:12:24 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)

G'day Dragonfly.
Welcome mate.If you go to Equipment in the forum look at gravity dredging by me some handy stuff there.Look at TedWilsons post.There is a well asked question from him to doc.Worth a read good luck out there man.What part of North Otago are you,Im just over the boarder.
waka  
Posted : Monday, 27 April 2015 5:14:04 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

G'day tasmiangold hows it coming along.
tasmangold  
Posted : Monday, 27 April 2015 5:21:19 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

g,day waka just been on the nzpm site looking at permit-applications and maps etc looks like thay have made it a bit easier .less paper work etc lol .
tasmangold  
Posted : Monday, 27 April 2015 5:28:48 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

i would like my own claim one day but not sure if i wanna fork ot a few grand for permit and then more for a dredge , but i do love that gold stuff so dam much hahah
waka  
Posted : Monday, 27 April 2015 6:02:49 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

G'day mate dare say I'm in the very same boat.My wife and I went to Arrowtown the week b4 the Autumn festival got chatting with a guy who had come down for run,he has a friend up north who was having problems with the powers to be.He offered to have school excursions or something of the sort and was given his permit providing he arranged 2 school excursions a year.If that was so it maybe the way too roll.It's amazing what you can hear on the river bank haha.
two days in the river over there and still going through my cons ,got some nice colour as I hadn't seen any for 8months b4 that quite pleased.:-]
gavzilla  
Posted : Monday, 27 April 2015 9:23:58 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
G'day and welcome, with regards to your classifying ideas they sound good in theory but when it comes to practical applications, with gold you need to keep things (a) simple and (b) very very portable. The less equipment you have to carry then the better in my experience, quite often you need to bash bush for a few hours to get to the better areas, carrying a pump/battery's/ hose ect is just not practical. I don't ever use classifying screens or filters either, I find them pointless and double handing dirt makes no sense at all, it's all about how much dirt you can get through the box, all boxes and devices lose a certain amount of colour out the back but it's nothing to worry about.

i am all for your idea of getting paydirt to change, the forum is not what it once was and in my opinion the whole website needs to change and modernize. There are a lot of members but most are now non existent or lack any input.

(Still waiting for an admin to get back to me)

Good luck out there anyway, it's a great Hobby to have and you meet some great people along the way
dragonfly  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 4:07:12 PM(UTC)
dragonfly

New Zealand

Thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of keeping it simple so will go with that. I agree about the website changes too. When I posted this there were 18 people on the site and I was the only member logged in. Alot of info on here. Am about to check out the gravity comment too.
dragonfly  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 4:14:35 PM(UTC)
dragonfly

New Zealand

Kakanui Waka. Just getting into it so looking forward to getting out there. Found a great book too. 4WD South by Mark Wilson. Ken Sibly did a couple on the south island but this one is just Otago and south Canterbury and has some great access tracks on it.
tasmangold  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 5:48:37 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

what about a facebook group theres alot of them in aussie for this sort of stuff but non in nz i dont mind making one up ,and have and still are been a admin of alot of pages , and most people these days do have facebook , it is also easyer for us to share pictures and stuff etc ,,just a putting it out there aif anyones keen pm me
tasmangold  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 6:26:25 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

i made a page on facebook if anyone wants to join and share it around ,,thanks https://www.facebook.com/groups/527460370728575/
dragonfly  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 6:27:38 PM(UTC)
dragonfly

New Zealand

I would be keene....ha ha ha sigh.
tasmangold  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 7:44:11 AM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

LBD  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 2:03:10 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
A 12V/24V bilge pump is driven by an electric MOTOR so is motorized...

waka  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 4:46:21 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

G'day Dragonfly.That sounds like 1 to keep an eye out for.Isit in the shops or mainly on line.With the gravity dredging idea Kiwijw has a great story cheak his link out aswell.Thanks for that a catch up with like minded people should be a must.

waka  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 4:48:06 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Thanks TG.I'm in .
tasmangold  
Posted : Friday, 1 May 2015 8:41:55 AM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand